PDA

View Full Version : Screen flickers

KootenayFlamesFan
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Just started having this problem (after the new server).

Whenever I run my mouse over the Bold/Italic/Underline and other buttons above my screen flickers. It's fine everywhere else on the screen, like the smilies, reply buttons, etc........it's just all the buttons directly above when you send a message.

Anyone else have this problem??

scottie
09-01-2006, 05:16 AM
What's your browser (FireFox, IE, Opera), operating system (Mac, Windows Linux) and computer type (PC, Mac)?

I'm not seeing anything on Opera/XP/PC.

photon
09-01-2006, 07:19 AM
When you say flickers, is it changing sizes? Or changing colours?

Is it only on the quick reply? The advanced reply (ie after clicking Reply or New Thread)?

Tried clearing your browser cache?

KootenayFlamesFan
09-01-2006, 09:57 PM
[quote=photon;542732]When you say flickers, is it changing sizes? Or changing colours?

It just flickers......nothing changes with size or colour, it just like turning the screen on and off very very quickly.

Is it only on the quick reply? The advanced reply (ie after clicking Reply or New Thread)?

It happens on both.

OK, I'm ######ed since I'm not sure what you mean........which means this is probably the problem! :)

KootenayFlamesFan
09-01-2006, 10:05 PM

Now that I look again, it does not happen when I do the quick reply, but does with the advanced reply, when I quote somebody.

Weird.

photon
09-02-2006, 09:43 AM
OK, I'm ######ed since I'm not sure what you mean........which means this is probably the problem! :)

Which browser and version do you use?

KootenayFlamesFan
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
When you say flickers, is it changing sizes? Or changing colours?

Which browser and version do you use?

IE , 6.0. I just tried using Firefox doing the same thing, and had no problems.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

KootenayFlamesFan
09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
IE , 6.0. I just tried using Firefox doing the same thing, and had no problems.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

Aha! Just updated to IE 7 and now having no problems.

Thanks for your help lads!!!

ken0042
09-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I get the same thing both at home and at work; using IE 6.0

I noticed it happens a lot more when I'm trying to reply to a post. If I use the quick reply it never happens, but full on reply it's almost every time.

photon
09-05-2006, 12:40 PM
That's so weird, I wish I could see it. I did a search of the vBulletin support forums and couldn't find anything at all.

Try holding down CTRL and hitting F5 to refresh the page when in the editor; that will force the browser to reload everything.

ken0042
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
OK, it's not doing it this time, maybe that CTRL F5 did something.

And FWIW this was happening prior to the forum software being updated; and the other forum I visit that uses the same software doesn't do it to me.

I'll try the CTRL F5 a few more times and let you know if it happens any more. Not that it's a big deal; just an oddity or a curiosity type of thing.

ken0042
09-05-2006, 02:14 PM
OK, I figured out to replicate it; even after doing the CTRL F5.

When I move my mouse over the Bullet points or font sizes it flickers each time I move from one to the other. I just went to do a post and make one line smaller than the rest and it happened.

Often when I am typing a reply I move the mouse cursor out of the text box, and the subtle movements must be enough to set it off.

photon
09-05-2006, 05:55 PM
The editor is all done in Javascript, so it has to be a browser thing.. And if it was a code issue then there'd be tons of posts about it. So there must be something different with your guys' IE. Do you have any addons installed?

ken0042
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Definitely not at work due to our proxy and my granny like surfing habits; and none that I've personally installed at home.

Next time I do a raw install of WinXP SP2 I'll try it right away. Odds are I'll be cooking up a new computer for somebody by the end of the week.

Edit- and it seems I'm running different versions of Java at home and at work. Home is 1.5.0 and I know work is 1.3.X (something)

photon
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Java shouldn't have any impact though, Java and Javascript are totally unrelated.