Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #1681
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What's the gist of it? I don't subscribe to the NYT.

It seems to me that criticizing the substance of the article would make more sense than shaming the NYT for publishing it, but I guess that would depend on what it says, maybe.
Imagine what a far right southern politician would say about bringing in troops to quell riots - that is what it says.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #1682
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the gist of it? I don't subscribe to the NYT.

It seems to me that criticizing the substance of the article would make more sense than shaming the NYT for publishing it, but I guess that would depend on what it says, maybe.
Called for the military to suppress the protesters.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #1683
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
We're pretty much down to an interpretation of the (terrible) English language at this point where "because of one suit" could mean that any suit against a doctor explicitly results in the aforementioned consequence, or the alternative where that is the potential implication of any given suit.

The latter interpretation is one that gives the tweet merit, so I chose to go with that one.
That's actually not the potential implication of any given suit - it's the potential implication of a suit where the doctor's conduct is egregious enough to warrant losing his license.

If that's what you mean, though, then the response is "well, that's true of police officers too... in fact that's even true of Chauvin in this case. So... what's your point?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Imagine what a far right southern politician would say about bringing in troops to quell riots - that is what it says.
I don't see what the problem is with the NYT running a piece like that, then. In fact, they should run something like that, given that there are a lot of people probably making that argument. The NYT's subscribers are welcome to not read it, or to read it and disagree with it. Suggesting that no such thing must appear in the pages of the paper of record is... I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-04-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #1684
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I had a chat with a friend's mom last night who's pretty with it and sharp but a little Trumpish. She asked who George Floyd was. I was like...well, he's a dead black guy. But was he famous? Not before the cops killed him. Well then why are people rioting? Cause of racism. Then in a perfect SNL moment...Well I don't know about that.

I thought the horse analogy would work well explaining systemic racism. It did not.

Let's say you ride your horse every day and he's a really good horse. He does everything you want him to do. But one day you decide to stop riding him and stop taking care of him. And then you stop being nice to him. And eventually you're really mean to him. Then one day you decide to go for a ride again and he bucks you off. Who's fault is that?

I was surprised to learn how many red necks respond with..."No horse is gonna buck me off. That horse would be on the plane to France"...and so on.
It's always surprising, despite how often it happens, each time a person's racist tendencies are revealed when they provide their commentary during events like these. The consistently poorly thought out "rebuttals", like "the vast majority of cops are good" or "all lives matter", is so incredibly disheartening.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #1685
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #1686
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't see what the problem is with the NYT running a piece like that, then. In fact, they should run something like that, given that there are a lot of people probably making that argument. The NYT's subscribers are welcome to not read it, or to read it and disagree with it. Suggesting that no such thing must appear in the pages of the paper of record is... I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point.
I agree assuming it doesn't actually put people in danger.

The left gets unfocused in these debates and lets the right reframe them as first amendment (in this case) or disrespecting the flag (Drew Brees). Stay on the important message where you win.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #1687
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree assuming it doesn't actually put people in danger.
How could an opinion piece, about what policy the author thinks should be brought to bear, put people in danger? Just by suggesting the use of military force? Are the NYT also not allowed to publish opinion pieces suggesting military intervention abroad, either? The position that the state should intervene to stop any further rioting and looting, and should use the military to do it, even if it prevents otherwise lawful protests from happening, is a legitimate perspective. I think it's clearly a bad idea (especially the part about using the military), but it's certainly a view you could rationally attempt to defend in an opinion piece.

This sounds like more of the "speech is violence" rhetoric you often hear nowadays as an attempt to suppress opposing viewpoints. I dunno, as I say I haven't read the thing so I guess I'll reserve judgment. Maybe the dude is actually calling for something more than a public policy measure - for example, if he's calling for vigilantism. But yeah... this element of the left is just the worst.
Quote:
The left gets unfocused in these debates and lets the right reframe them as first amendment (in this case)
I'm not sure what the first amendment has to do with it. Presumably the government didn't force them to run the piece, and isn't stopping them from running whatever else they'd like.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #1688
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a link/list of cities that have curfews? Looks like LA just cancelled theirs. I'm curious who still has them, but some google searching hasn't yielded much, strangely.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #1689
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Is there a link/list of cities that have curfews? Looks like LA just cancelled theirs. I'm curious who still has them, but some google searching hasn't yielded much, strangely.
DC cancelled theirs also, seems like cities are making gametime decisions based on public outcry on Twitter as if it's a GDT.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #1690
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What if the doctor is actually a veterinarian and he mistreats a horse that was bucking it's owner; can the vet lose their career?

There's clearly an analogy here. I have no clue what it is but I'm sure someone could figure it out.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #1691
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
DC cancelled theirs also, seems like cities are making gametime decisions based on public outcry on Twitter as if it's a GDT.
I just think that the overall temperature of things has gone down dramatically, and it was never about quelling the peaceful protsters but the criminal thugs that hid within.

Those arrests yesterday combined with the up charge against Chauvin was the difference maker for many.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #1692
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I just think that the overall temperature of things has gone down dramatically, and it was never about quelling the peaceful protsters but the criminal thugs that hid within.
I wish I could believe that, but there is enough video evidence to show peaceful protesters getting attacked yet in areas of looting, the police were conspicuously absent.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #1693
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
How could an opinion piece, about what policy the author thinks should be brought to bear, put people in danger? Just by suggesting the use of military force? Are the NYT also not allowed to publish opinion pieces suggesting military intervention abroad, either? The position that the state should intervene to stop any further rioting and looting, and should use the military to do it, even if it prevents otherwise lawful protests from happening, is a legitimate perspective. I think it's clearly a bad idea (especially the part about using the military), but it's certainly a view you could rationally attempt to defend in an opinion piece.

This sounds like more of the "speech is violence" rhetoric you often hear nowadays as an attempt to suppress opposing viewpoints. I dunno, as I say I haven't read the thing so I guess I'll reserve judgment. Maybe the dude is actually calling for something more than a public policy measure - for example, if he's calling for vigilantism. But yeah... this element of the left is just the worst.

I'm not sure what the first amendment has to do with it. Presumably the government didn't force them to run the piece, and isn't stopping them from running whatever else they'd like.
Should you read an article before defending it, or by questioning critique of it?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #1694
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wish I could believe that, but there is enough video evidence to show peaceful protesters getting attacked yet in areas of looting, the police were conspicuously absent.
I mean the idea behind the curfews...not sure how you got to this conclusion.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #1695
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Should you read an article before defending it, or by questioning critique of it?
Yeah, probably. And since I'm probably not going to read it, I'll shut my trap now.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #1696
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really need to find a new word.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #1697
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
...but yes they can, and have. Which is why that response is confusing.

So did you mean, no cops shouldn't be held to that standard? Or no, malpractice suits that end careers don't exist?

Clearly we disagree on what could potentially come of malpractice suits, so it doesn't really matter. Carry on.
I'd actually like to see the sourcing on this.

A doctor who was removed quickly after a first malpractice allegation. I have my doubts that you can back that claim up with specific examples. I am aware of doctors being removed after length investigations or after a long pattern of behaviour is established, but your claim sounds like hyperbole.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #1698
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the idea behind the curfews...not sure how you got to this conclusion.
Sorry if I misunderstood. I don't want to suggest you meant something you didn't.

I personally just don't see the curfews and policing activities as mutually exclusive. The curfews just gave them grounds to criminalize everyone, peaceful or otherwise.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #1699
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So when do they unleash Judge Dredd onto Minneapolis?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #1700
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
You really need to find a new word.
Why?

They have been calling violent criminals and gangs "thugs" forever.

Hell Al Capone was always referred to as one all the time....Donald Trump is one in my eyes as well.

It traces back to organized criminal activity of which a lot of this certainly was.

Its an appropriate term for anyone that conducts themselves as such.