Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
who is your wife... i will pm her?
She's not a CP user. But I think she peruses the buy/sell and power ring forums.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #22
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
when do you take them down?

I guess you could just leave the tree up year round and redecorate it for whatever holiday is happening.
then you'd get a valentines tree, st patricks tree, easter tree, etc.
Usually the end of January for the tree. The outside lights stay up and on for some time after that. I can usually get her to stop turning on the ones in the front yard earlier but it's tough to get the ones in the back off for the year.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #23
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside lights go up first weather window in November that coincides with a free day on the weekend for me to do it. So far that has not happened so it will have to be this Sunday regardless of weather. They are not turned on until December 1 however. Tree and inside decorations is also December 1. Decorations come down any time after January 1, again with a good weather window outside and whenever we have time inside.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I started a few things a few days after Halloween as a distraction since my kid wouldn't stop talking about wanting to go Trick or Treating that week. Little things like Christmas music in the background. Lights will go up sometime before Dec 1 when the weather is good. Tree and other things on Grey Cup Sunday during the pre-game show.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the idea of after Remembrance day but I'm not a nazi about it. I think tasteful Christmas decorations can compliment the 11th as it is part of the season for me.

Trees I like to have down by New years Eve, I like house lights up as long as people want to leave them. I love seeing lights on houses at night through the winter.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't do lights on my house, maybe one year I should. Next year!

Tree comes down the first weekend after new years. We host a party, so it is always nice to have it up for that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #27
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Outside lights usually go up Grey Cup weekend or possibly the weekend before depending on weather forecasts. Nothing else until December. I'd wait until 2 weeks before Christmas before putting up a tree, but my wife starts pushing for it December 1 so first weekend of December it is. Everything usually gets put away the last weekend before school resumes, except the outside lights which I take down when the weather is decent.

I love Christmas but hate having it drag out for months.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #28
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Festivus pole goes up a week before on the 16th and is taken down a week after on New Years eve.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #29
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am out of town on a business trip this week.
I fully expect my wife to have the whole house decorated,against my wishes, when I get home.
In my family nothing went up until 2 weeks before Christmas.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Festivus pole goes up a week before on the 16th and is taken down a week after on New Years eve.
Good to see I'm not the only one with a Festivus pole.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #31
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there were more of these holiday displays around town, everyone would benefit:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #32
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Lights go up this weekend (since hopefully, it will be warm) they are turned on from Dec 1st through the 26th. They go down on the first Chinook of the new year.
How come no one does the twelve days of Christmas anymore. My Mom was always big on it. I don't care when you put them up or turn them on, but leave them on until the 6th of January.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #33
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anytime after Remembrance Day is fine. I usually leave outside lights on until after Ukrainian Christmas, but inside we take things down usually before the kids go back to school in the new year.

There should be a bylaw to take outside lights down by the mid-February at the latest. If Bill Smith made this one of his platforms I would have voted for him. Why should we have to look at all the houses with lights dangling off their house year round? People spend hours on their lawns and flowers in the summer but yet leave their crappy lights hanging off their houses.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #34
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I like the idea of after Remembrance day but I'm not a nazi about it. I think tasteful Christmas decorations can compliment the 11th as it is part of the season for me.

Trees I like to have down by New years Eve, I like house lights up as long as people want to leave them. I love seeing lights on houses at night through the winter.
you're the first person I've ever heard of who thinks Christmas decorations may compliment remembrance day.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Anytime after Remembrance Day is fine. I usually leave outside lights on until after Ukrainian Christmas, but inside we take things down usually before the kids go back to school in the new year.

There should be a bylaw to take outside lights down by the mid-February at the latest. If Bill Smith made this one of his platforms I would have voted for him. Why should we have to look at all the houses with lights dangling off their house year round? People spend hours on their lawns and flowers in the summer but yet leave their crappy lights hanging off their houses.
Counterpoint, and mentioned by Speede5 a few posts ago. Northern (ie Canadian) winters are pretty bleak and it's dark for many hours. Lights can make a dark and bleak winter night a little nicer. I have no problem with anyone who wants to leave them on through January and even February if they want. I mean people put up Halloween lights in early October now so why not leave up lights well into the New Year. January and February are a long slog of dreariness to get through, some color in the darkness certainly helps.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Counterpoint, and mentioned by Speede5 a few posts ago. Northern (ie Canadian) winters are pretty bleak and it's dark for many hours. Lights can make a dark and bleak winter night a little nicer. I have no problem with anyone who wants to leave them on through January and even February if they want. I mean people put up Halloween lights in early October now so why not leave up lights well into the New Year. January and February are a long slog of dreariness to get through, some color in the darkness certainly helps.
I agree with that, and I like the lights. But there should be some kind of deadline, and even so it should be within reason. My wife and I used to bet on a guy down the block who had a full display on his lawn with Santa and reindeer and all that, and he left them out there until April. Same sort of thing for lights. If it's a steep/high roof and very difficult to get them up and down then I think it's fine. If its the icicle lights and you let the wind help bring them down for you during our summer thunderstorms then I just think its an eyesore.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #37
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree with that, and I like the lights. But there should be some kind of deadline, and even so it should be within reason. My wife and I used to bet on a guy down the block who had a full display on his lawn with Santa and reindeer and all that, and he left them out there until April. Same sort of thing for lights. If it's a steep/high roof and very difficult to get them up and down then I think it's fine. If its the icicle lights and you let the wind help bring them down for you during our summer thunderstorms then I just think its an eyesore.
I just threw that date in there just because there should be some bylaw with a deadline. If it's later then no problem - just they have be taken down at some point at some reasonable time when it's safe to do so.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #38
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I have usually had my exterior lights on until sometime in February.

The evenings are still dark, why not leave the lights on for a while longer?