Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edmonton Hunters are No Good

Probably ruined their business. Why couldn't they just pose with a stupid smile like David Booth or Trump Jrs?

What is the appeal of shooting a leopard sleeping in a tree??
Quote:
Disturbing and graphic promotional videos on the Legelela Safaris website show animals being shot, including one particularly stomach-churning clip of what appears to be a leopard being killed while it relaxes in a tree.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/world...9-c4d9646e6f68
Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

new take on old thread
your first one so successful
he he he he he
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to haiku For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll say!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like they did it legally to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Optics look bad. and right before Lion King comes out.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hunting shouldn't be used in these descriptions. Hunting should be reserved for animals you hunt and eat. This should be just called what it is. Safari shooting or killing.

Using the hunting descriptions for these safari kills puts a bad and misleading connotation around hunting
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Trump is legally putting kids in cages. Doesn't make it right.

Trophy hunting should end.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying you 'killed' a Lion when you shoot it with a rifle, while true, its like saying you 'killed a man' when really all you did was stomp on a toddler's head.

Theres no glory in murdering an animal with a rifle from a distance.

And for what?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Hunting shouldn't be used in these descriptions. Hunting should be reserved for animals you hunt and eat. This should be just called what it is. Safari shooting or killing.

Using the hunting descriptions for these safari kills puts a bad and misleading connotation around hunting
Well technically hunt means to "pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food" but I don't see the sport in a human with a rifle sneaking up on a defenseless animal and shooting it dead. I would like to see an end put to trophy hunting as we need to evolve past killing anything living for sport.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-16-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well technically hunt means to "pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food" but I don't see the sport in a human with a rifle sneaking up on a defenseless animal and shooting it dead. I would like to see an end put to trophy hunting as we need to evolve past killing anything living for sport.
I would like to see trophy hunters hunt each other in a specified fenced off area. Paint ball, but lethal. We could gamble on it.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hate the concept of sport hunting, plus hunting an animal with a high powered scoped rifle that you can hit precisely from more then a football fields length away seems to be not sporting.

Now if the only way that you could get a license was that you had to use a knife or sword, I would be ok with that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Define trophy hunting? Every deer or elk ive taken is a trophy to me and im sure i use more of the animal than most people on here do for beef.

I don't like the picture they took, im sure they wish the safari never posted it but everything was done by law, these hunts are done on preserves and often the lions are chosen to maintain packs. The hunting brings in tourism $$$ and the meat go's to local's and for those saying hunting with a rifle is easy, you're welcome to come try it im sure you'll either A) change your tune pretty quick or B) appreciate where your food came from.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJolg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
Define trophy hunting? Every deer or elk ive taken is a trophy to me and im sure i use more of the animal than most people on here do for beef.

I don't like the picture they took, im sure they wish the safari never posted it but everything was done by law, these hunts are done on preserves and often the lions are chosen to maintain packs. The hunting brings in tourism $$$ and the meat go's to local's and for those saying hunting with a rifle is easy, you're welcome to come try it im sure you'll either A) change your tune pretty quick or B) appreciate where your food came from.

Mmmm lion burgers. The whole hunting as a means of conservation in Africa is a myth. It's full of corruption, very little money gets to the local populations and targets are often the biggest, best trophies which creates further stress on animal populations already on the brink. This lion may have been an old specimen ready to be torn apart by hyenas but it could just as easily have been a super productive male in its prime.

https://conservationaction.co.za/res...ries-analysis/

Quote:
In the past trophy hunting has often been held up as the answer to sound conservation management practices and the only solution to saving a species but in reality trophy hunting is an activity that fuels corruption, it encourages the unfair redistribution of the wealth generated without adequate involvement of communities, causes the loss of healthy individuals that are still key for reproduction and social cohesion but, most importantly, it contributes to the decline of all five species analysed in this report.
Hunters/trappers love thinking they're biologists saving their beloved pray from extinction. That's almost never true. The African lion population has fallen by 2/3's since lion hunting became legal in the early 90's. Shooting them for fun isn't the whole problem, but it's certainly not part of the solution.

Also, this is one of three lions they shot on the same trip. It's highly likely they were engaged in a canned hunt...

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 07-16-2019 at 06:14 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those pictures are revolting. How people can seek to justify shooting all those lions is mystifying.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, for starters I think you're being a little fast and loose with the term 'law' when referring to Africa as compared to our laws.

And further, if its population control there has to be a better solution than just letting randos from Edmonton blow them away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Those pictures are revolting. How people can seek to justify shooting all those lions is mystifying.
Not only do they justify it, but they look like it makes them downright horny.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Not only do they justify it, but they look like it makes them downright horny.
We should probably be thankful those are the only photos posted...probably gets far more uncomfortably graphic than that...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #18
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Mmmm lion burgers. The whole hunting as a means of conservation in Africa is a myth. It's full of corruption, very little money gets to the local populations and targets are often the biggest, best trophies which creates further stress on animal populations already on the brink. This lion may have been an old specimen ready to be torn apart by hyenas but it could just as easily have been a super productive male in its prime.

https://conservationaction.co.za/res...ries-analysis/

Hunters/trappers love thinking they're biologists saving their beloved pray from extinction. That's almost never true. The African lion population has fallen by 2/3's since lion hunting became legal in the early 90's. Shooting them for fun isn't the whole problem, but it's certainly not part of the solution.

Also, this is one of three lions they shot on the same trip. It's highly likely they were engaged in a canned hunt...

Hunters and trappers who make up the majority of the rocky mountain elk foundation are responsible for not only restoring elk populations in the US, they are in places they weren't before and a healthy population same goes for turkeys and other animal.

As for lion burgers they may be great if they are anything like mountain lion. There are plenty of guides that ensure the meat and resources go back to the locals, thats on the person seeking out the guide to make sure of. As for the drop in numbers, poaching as with most animals in Africa is the main cause, tags for animals hunted are given out of the government.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hunters and trappers who make up the majority of the rocky mountain elk foundation are responsible for not only restoring elk populations in the US, they are in places they weren't before and a healthy population same goes for turkeys and other animal.

As for lion burgers they may be great if they are anything like mountain lion. There are plenty of guides that ensure the meat and resources go back to the locals, thats on the person seeking out the guide to make sure of. As for the drop in numbers, poaching as with most animals in Africa is the main cause, tags for animals hunted are given out of the government.

Yes hunters and trappers do participate in conservation efforts like rmef and Ducks Unlimited more than anyone else. But it's not through hunting and trapping. It's through giving money or time to people who know what they're doing when it comes to conservation. You can be very much assured that the trapper on RFMA 265 who trapped two entire packs of wolves being studied out of banff national park this year has set elk conservation back decades in this area. You can't drag net a valley in the name of conservation. And that is all trapping is. Indiscriminate killing.

Poaching goes hand in had with trophy hunting in Africa. One exists due to the other. The amount of money that gets to conservation efforts is peanuts...not even...it's A peanut.

And also, no one eats lion meat except thrill seekers. Not even locals eat it unless there's literally nothing else.

Edit: It should also be noted that several articles have now mentioned that this was in fact a canned hunt. These lions were born and bred to be shot and we have been so tricked into thinking this is conservation or as one poster put it.."a preserve". This is literally the opposite of conservation. Captive lions never get released into the wild. They're over bred, generally unhealthy and put a much smaller price tag on wild hunts and poaching hunts. Since canned hunts were made legal the wild lion population in Africa plummeted. There are 20-30k captive lions in South Africa and only 2k wild ones. People are so snowed about this that they even pay thousands a month to volunteer at "lion sanctuaries" only to realize they're raising hunting stock in wildly unhealthy conditions. Other tourists pay to walk with the lions never wondering why their guide has only a stick to protect them from these wild savages. And some people think hunting in Africa helps local people and animals alike. All a big sad pile of garbage.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 07-16-2019 at 11:02 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #20
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Edmonton tubers are also no good

Quote:
"I've had a number of people tell me that they were under the impression that the river either ran in a circle or looped back around towards the provincial park," Evansburg RCMP Cpl. Brandon Tobin said in a news release Tuesday.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote