Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #1161
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a gong tshow this morning....i stepped out on the deck this morning and noted it was raining lightly wilth a dark cloud overhead. So I caved and went and showered and resigned myself to ridng the iron lung and then when i stepped outside, it was so calm and nice out, i went back and changed. 15 m into the ride it was too late to turn back and i slogged the remain 45m in the rain. for a rainy day it was a nice ride and it was warm with no wind.

i hope my riding stuff drys before the ride home.

in the meantime, i look at the forecast for the weekend and right now Bragg has a 90% chance of 20mm or more of rain friday. if this plays out it would seemingly shut the trails down again.

ugh, this weather......why as summer been ignoring us this year???
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #1162
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it was nice that is was a warm rain. We don't get many of those around here, usually the gust front comes, temps drop 15 degrees, and the cold rain hits. So it was not to bad. Still havn't managed to get dry socks to put on...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #1163
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you have 30 minutes here's a cool video from Rapha/EF Education First. It's about Lachlan Morton's win at GBDuro this year. GBDuro is a 2000km ride from the southern tip of Great Britain to the northern.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #1164
Glassplat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So what's a good e-bike? Thinking of selling my car and just transiting/biking into work full time.
Disclaimer: I have a road bike and a Salsa adventure bike so I’m not an expert on the subject of ebike’s by any means.
My older brother last year bought a Trek “hybrid style” ebike (+- $3k) thinking it would be a nice transition from his road bike. That said he had never been an avid “roadie”, more of a recreational hybrid type rider.
Recently he said to me he absolutely regretted going with the “hybrid style” (32mm tires) and wished he’d gone with a mountain “tire sized” bike with a front suspension instead. He felt the “electric assist” more than made up for the extra effort of pedalling a bike with wider tires and the softer Ride and better traction in wetter (light snow) conditions was an extremely beneficial byproduct.
Glassplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #1165
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope a few others had the same good fortune as I did on the way home and racked up a few PR’s. Somehow I racked up 4 in the rain this morning and then a dozen on the way home.

Today also marked the first time I was soaked on the way in and again on the way home. Good times....
Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #1166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it coming on the radar and left 15 minutes early. Got home just as the rain started.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #1167
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is ridiculous as it is currently pouring downtown......i got hammered both to and from yesterday and now again today on the way home.......

i am tired of constantly washing all my crap on a daily basis......

how much carbon tax do i need to pay to make it so the temps gets to around 30 in july and august and it only rains once per week
Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #1168
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap, didn't even bring my rain jacket today...dummy.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #1169
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ride was better than I thought it would be. Path was mostly dry in downtown area, and drier further south.

Likely could have hammered it if I was mentally not so frustrated from the weather and a frustrating day at work
Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #1170
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Does anyone else ride a hybrid? I think I'm seeing why almost everyone has said you should just pick road or mountain. I'm enjoying the hell out of riding, but this thing is pretty slow on pavement and not really good enough for off trail.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #1171
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Does anyone else ride a hybrid? I think I'm seeing why almost everyone has said you should just pick road or mountain. I'm enjoying the hell out of riding, but this thing is pretty slow on pavement and not really good enough for off trail.
I have a hybrid, but it's ultra light, with skinny tires.
It's not quite as fast as a road bike, and definitely no good for off-trail, but I like it.
Very glad a ditched the old bike with front shocks.
When the guy at the bike shop sold it to me, he described it as basically a road bike without the stretched geometry and the drop bars.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #1172
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a hybrid and I quite like it. Mine has shocks, but you can easily lock them and it seems decent enough to me. I'm not doing anything on trails though, so maybe that explains it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #1173
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd consider my commuter bike (giant fastroad) a hybrid. it has skinny tires, but a flat mountain style handlebar so you are in an upright riding position. it does what i need it to, but i'd feel a little silly going out for a rip with a road crew and while it could ride on a hardpacked gravel road, it would not be fun.

personally, i'd avoid any bikes in this category that have a front shock as it makes the bike heavier and the likelyhood of really needing a shock is low and chances are the shock is not that great.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #1174
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Crap, didn't even bring my rain jacket today...dummy.
It rained so hard it didn't really matter. What a soaking. My shoes are still water logged.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #1175
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
It rained so hard it didn't really matter. What a soaking. My shoes are still water logged.
I got home in a nice break in the suckage. Brought my jacket today though, looks like the afternoon is going to suck with a heavy north wind and possible rain.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #1176
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I missed the rain yesterday, but I had no gas in my legs. Thankful for having the electric assist yesterday. Decided not to ride today given my lingering lethargy combined with a thunderstorm forecast in the afternoon.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #1177
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

60% chance of good weather on the way home today.

Tomoorw afternoon only a 30% chance of niceness.

Longer term forecast looking like warmer in the mid-high 20's - but many days where there is only a 30% chance of niceness......
Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #1178
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I have a cyclocross bike that I like to ride to work. It's probably not quite as fast as a road bike, but since I only have bike path and a bit of rough patches when I do commute it works really well.

It would probably be awful for off trail, but on pavement and the odd dirt stuff I go through it works pretty good. Although sometimes I do think maybe I should try out a road bike to see what kind of difference that might make.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #1179
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassplat View Post
Disclaimer: I have a road bike and a Salsa adventure bike so I’m not an expert on the subject of ebike’s by any means.
My older brother last year bought a Trek “hybrid style” ebike (+- $3k) thinking it would be a nice transition from his road bike. That said he had never been an avid “roadie”, more of a recreational hybrid type rider.
Recently he said to me he absolutely regretted going with the “hybrid style” (32mm tires) and wished he’d gone with a mountain “tire sized” bike with a front suspension instead. He felt the “electric assist” more than made up for the extra effort of pedalling a bike with wider tires and the softer Ride and better traction in wetter (light snow) conditions was an extremely beneficial byproduct.
I have an Opus Pronghorn e-bike that I alternate my commutes with (along with my cyclocross bike). If the weather or conditions deteriorate I use the Opus as it makes it a lot easier to plow through everything.

I love riding it and find it makes me want to get out and cycle more instead of driving. It does feel a little like cheating, but when the conditions are bad it sure is nice to have the electric assist.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #1180
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hybrids are awesome. In the city, I'm on flatbar, skinny tire Trek single speed. I average 22-24km/h on longer rides, which is enough for me. I rode a DH bike for years in the city... that 22km/h feels like warp 9 to me still.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post: