Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2023, 03:46 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
I am going off the reports we heard. For example the comments from Weegar in the interview he did on Backlund and many people thought that was Daryl going over the line with him.

I haven't heard any reports, verified or unverified, that he went over the lines. Players whining about him being tough is more likely to be on weak players we have.

If I read more evidence of actual wrongdoing I would change my opinion but I haven't seen it.
They fired him after talking to support personnel
I guess those people are weak too
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 03:52 PM   #22
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
They fired him after talking to support personnel
I guess those people are weak too
Unless we know what happened not sure we can comment on them being weak or not.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:52 PM   #23
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless we know what happened not sure we can comment on them being weak or not.
The fact they fired him is a pretty good indication
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The fact they fired him while paying him $8 million for the next two years is a pretty good indication
FYP. The amount of money they were willing to spend to make him goes away speaks volumes. Anyone who doesn't get this is being obtuse.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 04:36 PM   #25
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
FYP. The amount of money they were willing to spend to make him goes away speaks volumes. Anyone who doesn't get this is being obtuse.
Not being obtuse just pointing out there is nothing showing that he was awful or unfair to anyone.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:37 PM   #26
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Not gonna lie. The whole “unfinished business” gave me chills. I was so excited to have him back as coach. I thought we’d be contending every season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neeper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 04:49 PM   #27
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Not being obtuse just pointing out there is nothing showing that he was awful or unfair to anyone.
Note that they didn’t fire him right when the season ended with a DNQ. They fired him afterwards when they had a chance to talk to people in the organization. If it was strictly on ice performance, why wait. That and the reports throughout the season that it wasn’t just the players who were unhappy with his behaviour. What do you want? A video of him acting like a dickhead? It’s not like the guy didn’t already have a reputation.
Bs&Cs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bs&Cs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 04:50 PM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter getting fired as suddenly as he did, before his expensive long-term extension kicked in is not "nothing." This is in fact very compelling indirect evidence that he was mistreating support staff in the organization. But then, this also aligns with the public statements made by the team that Sutter was fired because he was mistreating support staff.

Your typical hand-waving at the facts is the very definition of "obtuse."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #29
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter Accused of "Physical Contacts" on a Player

In a recent article published on The Athletic, we learn that Sutter allegedly touched a player on the bench.

Quote:
"He made derisive comments, both publicly and privately, seemingly to single out players and in some cases, to embarrass them. In November, the franchise launched an internal investigation to probe an incident after Sutter allegedly made physical contact with a player on the bench during a game.

By November, the team became aware of an incident in which he was alleged to have made physical contact with a player on the bench during a game, according to three league sources, who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the matter. Players and staff members were interviewed about the alleged incident. According to multiple league sources, the player told his teammates he did not find the contact to have crossed a line and did not want to see the matter escalated."
https://www.hockeypatrol.com/Disturb...evealed-246963
Old 09-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I recall, Darryl was known as a good human with some questionable, archaic methods to motivate hockey players. Based on the things that have come out around last season, it sounds like something happened, and he was allegedly no longer a good human to others, including support staff of the team. It's disappointing. People change.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Maloney said Monday that he spoke to more than 25 members of the Flames roster, coaching staff and training staff as well as holding discussions with prominent agents before making the decision to move on from Sutter.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolsc...h=6fbf877c6e2f
Old 09-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #32
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he got fired because the team missed the playoffs and new contracts that the Flames will be stuck with in Kadri and Huberdeau hated him?

First I heard he was abusive of the support personnel.

"public statements made by the team that Sutter was fired because he was mistreating support staff."

Anyone have any link to where someone from the org states Sutter was abusing the support staff?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #33
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think people are going over the top in saying that Sutter treated people badly.

I can personally confirm he treated support staff like ####. He valued no one's opinion which wasn't in line with his own. He didn't even listen to the people on his own staff at times.

EDIT:

I'll add some more details. Support staff couldn't even get him INTO A MEETING to go over things they saw on the ice/different things that he should be trying especially in terms of player usage etc. He didn't even attend meetings. Basically 95% of the staff that the Flames paid a salary to was not even utilized by Sutter. And when confronted- he ridiculed people and made them and their perspectives feel completely worthless.

Last edited by InternationalVillager; 09-30-2023 at 05:10 PM.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #34
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post

I can personally confirm he treated support staff like ####. He valued no one's opinion which wasn't in line with his own. He didn't even listen to the people on his own staff at times.
There is a big difference between not valuing other people's opinions and treating people like ####.

I know we will all have different views on what treating people like #### is and maybe that fits for you but not listening to people on his own staff is far from that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #35
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sutter getting fired as suddenly as he did, before his expensive long-term extension kicked in is not "nothing." This is in fact very compelling indirect evidence that he was mistreating support staff in the organization. But then, this also aligns with the public statements made by the team that Sutter was fired because he was mistreating support staff.

We don't know what happened, even in your claim that this is not nothing there isn't a single piece of evidence of what he did that was wrong. There is nothing stating what mistreating staff means, it cover any number of things.

As we have seen with guys like Babcock, Peters, Constantine etc. the details come out when something goes wrong.

This doesn't mean Sutter is a saint but I think it is fair to say that there hasn't been any reports of what he did clearly being terrible.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I don’t recall any public statements to this effect. A member of the organization stated on the record that an employee was mistreating staff?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #37
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spurs you pick weird hills to die on...

but in those examples you give of other coaches, it is possible that the teams are terminating them without paying them or involved league investigations.

the Flames don't need to release details as they are paying him out his contract and no league investigation is taking place....releasing specific details might be seen as trying to fully #### on Sutter's legacy.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #38
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Disclaimer: I never said that Sutter is a terrible human being.

He created an untenable work environment which would have lead to a mass exodus of players and staff if he was not let go.

This is why Treliving was the first to go before they even had a chance to complete their full season ending assessment. Ownership had not given Treliving the authorization to fire Sutter. Once Maloney realized the ####storm that was coming when pretty much players and staff - majority of them - said they wanted nothing to do with Sutter. It was then taken to ownership and where approval was finally granted to fire him.

As for the Ryan Huska hiring- players and staff spoke very highly of him.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:22 PM   #39
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
Spurs you pick weird hills to die on...

but in those examples you give of other coaches, it is possible that the teams are terminating them without paying them or involved league investigations.

the Flames don't need to release details as they are paying him out his contract and no league investigation is taking place....releasing specific details might be seen as trying to fully #### on Sutter's legacy.
I am not sure saying that Sutter might not be as bad as some fans have made him out to be or I haven't heard anything awful he has done is really a hill that I am dying on.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post

EDIT:

I'll add some more details. Support staff couldn't even get him INTO A MEETING to go over things they saw on the ice/different things that he should be trying especially in terms of player usage etc. He didn't even attend meetings. Basically 95% of the staff that the Flames paid a salary to was not even utilized by Sutter. And when confronted- he ridiculed people and made them and their perspectives feel completely worthless.
The first part of this last paragraph sounds 100% on the nose, specifically Sutter not accepting input from others. That just doesn’t work anymore, pro sports has become too competitive to have success hinge on one person having all the answers.

As for ridiculing others, we certainly saw glimpses of that in the media sessions. If true, I’m left wondering if that behavior was acceptable when they were winning. I will say that many posters seemed to revel in his condescending media comments when the team was on a roll.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote