Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #21
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Nvidia Shield TV app got a much needed update today. The app shortcuts are nice.

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/23/nv...-app-redesign/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fire stick now has the Apple TV app as I noticed today. I travel with the fire stick so this is great news as I have a rather large Apple TV library.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You'd have to keep flipping that back and fourth though if you wanted to use Hulu and any Canadian streaming service like Crave or Sportsnet Now. With my PIA VPN app it connects automatically at startup, wraps Hulu and Gamecenter in the VPN, and leaves all of the other traffic alone. I set the same thing up on my brother's Shield (not a technical guy) and there's no issues, set it and forget it
This is a great example of what I meant.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
You'd have to keep flipping that back and fourth though if you wanted to use Hulu and any Canadian streaming service like Crave or Sportsnet Now. With my PIA VPN app it connects automatically at startup, wraps Hulu and Gamecenter in the VPN, and leaves all of the other traffic alone. I set the same thing up on my brother's Shield (not a technical guy) and there's no issues, set it and forget it
I think I'm going to switch back to PIA. I use Nord but they just got hacked and I'm hearing about it second-hand. They don't let you connect on a per-app basis either so that's enough to convince me.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nord's "hack" was a little weird. I'm not to worried about it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I think I'm going to switch back to PIA. I use Nord but they just got hacked and I'm hearing about it second-hand. They don't let you connect on a per-app basis either so that's enough to convince me.

Actually I wouldn't recommend PIA at the moment, Hulu just stopped working for me. I decided to try TorGuard for a month which allows you to buy a dedicated US IP for streaming so it's guaranteed to work for any streaming service, but that addon makes it quite a bit pricier, and their Android app still needs work. After doing some research, I'm going to give SurfShark and CyberGhost a try when my month with TorGuard is up. Both state they work with Hulu and US Netflix without a private IP, their apps allow per app settings, and the prices on 1-2 year plans are quite good
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #27
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I wouldn't recommend PIA at the moment, Hulu just stopped working for me. I decided to try TorGuard for a month which allows you to buy a dedicated US IP for streaming so it's guaranteed to work for any streaming service, but that addon makes it quite a bit pricier, and their Android app still needs work. After doing some research, I'm going to give SurfShark and CyberGhost a try when my month with TorGuard is up. Both state they work with Hulu and US Netflix without a private IP, their apps allow per app settings, and the prices on 1-2 year plans are quite good
Oops too late. I got an email from PIA offering a good deal that stated "now supports streaming services". I just tried Hulu and the login keeps timing out. Nord worked, go figure.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There’s something wrong with the hard drive in my old Shield so I picked up the new Pro version.

It’s definitely zippier but I’m not sure how much is because of the new processor or because of the slow drive in the old one. The remote is nice but I’m not sure why they made it triangle shaped. It makes it hard to tell which side the buttons are on, although they do light up so that helps.

The only issue I’ve had is some occasional mild stuttering during playback. I’m not sure what’s causing that.

Other than that it’s the same experience. Which means it’s great for streaming and games.

I’m going to look into replacing the old HDD with an SSD. It’s not an easy process but should be doable.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #29
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya all the reviews state the 2019 model is a couple percent boost in performance at best, nothing near the 25% claimed by Nvidia. I'm really hoping their next model in 2021 or whenever is a significant boost, or they release an ultimate version with a Tegra X2 or Xavier CPU. The Shield is so close to running Gamecube and Wii games at full speed, with a newer CPU it could get there and go from a great low cost emulation machine to the ultimate emulator
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote