Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #2341
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I should have mentioned that I am in Edmonton (not by choice, work brought me here) but I looked and there are a few Retul fitters here so I will check into that.

When purchasing a new bike, do you get the fit done first and then select a bike that meets the fit or do you buy a bike and then they fit you to that bike? I am not set on buying my buddy's Cannondale but he is giving me a pretty good deal so if I can make it work, that would be nice
Edmonton has some fantastic bike shops and knowledgeable people who can guide you.

Very few off-the-shelf bikes will be a perfect fit so you can expect to make changes regardless of new or used. With new you can at least expect some credit for traded parts/upgrades, whereas with used you need to deal with the stuff. If you buy new you may be able to get a discount on both fit and parts, but if used is your likely path then you might also be able to access the used gear market too (or online).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #2342
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I should have mentioned that I am in Edmonton (not by choice, work brought me here) but I looked and there are a few Retul fitters here so I will check into that.

When purchasing a new bike, do you get the fit done first and then select a bike that meets the fit or do you buy a bike and then they fit you to that bike? I am not set on buying my buddy's Cannondale but he is giving me a pretty good deal so if I can make it work, that would be nice
For my S5 I bought the bike and then proceeded to the fit. The fitter worked in the shop, so if I picked the wrong frame size, she could just go upstairs and get the proper one. This was pre-Covid, so shops actually had bikes in stock at the time. I had been looking for a while, so I knew pretty much what I was going to get. The fitting was making sure the saddle angle, saddle height, and bar angles were correct for me. There wasn't anything major that needed doing, but a lot of little tweaks.

For my Huru, it was built from scratch. I picked the frame and then worked with the shop to pick the components. This is where I should have brought in my fitter because I slammed my stem. If I was wrong on that, it would have been costly. She does bike purchase consultations, so there is no reason I shouldn't have brought her in at that point. I got the saddle width wrong, so I ended up having to buy a second one once I got my fit done.

There are fitters that will work with you for the bike purchase process and others that just fit you after you buy. It will depend on their set up, as it would likely be included if they are affiliated with a shop and you are buying from them, but they likely charge if you want them to help you find a used bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #2343
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If your getting a good deal on the Cannondale, as long as the frame is the right size, then you should be able to modify virtually anything else if needed. Between some time just getting used to a new bike, and then a possible bike fit, you should be able to get a good setup. But to get an inferior new bike because of price or limited stock, your still stuck with that.

My road bike was a good end of season deal, and at first it felt too high for what I was used to riding my mountain bike. It uses a seat mast not a conventional seat post, so I needed to buy a new mast to get the seat lower. But I took the bike home and started riding it, then when I got the new seat mast I was used to the higher position and just returned the shorter mast.

But I’m glad I got the better bike to start things off.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #2344
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I took it into a LBS (the guys at Revolution Cycle were super helpful) today to have it looked at and check the size. The thing I didn't notice but the tech pointed out to me was the steerer tube had been cut down quite aggressively. I think that was the reason I was feeling uncomfortable on the two trainer test rides. Just reaching too much and leaning too far forward. Unfortunately, short of buying a new fork, that is the one thing that can't be modified.

I am bringing it back to my buddy tomorrow and will keep riding my cheap starter road bike this winter until something comes available (if anyone has something in a 54 or 56 they are looking to sell in the spring let me know). It doesn't make a huge difference on the trainer anyway.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #2345
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The specialized power saddles are amazing. Get the right width for your sit bones though.

I have one on all my bikes, can't stress much of a difference that saddle made.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #2346
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I took it into a LBS (the guys at Revolution Cycle were super helpful) today to have it looked at and check the size. The thing I didn't notice but the tech pointed out to me was the steerer tube had been cut down quite aggressively. I think that was the reason I was feeling uncomfortable on the two trainer test rides. Just reaching too much and leaning too far forward. Unfortunately, short of buying a new fork, that is the one thing that can't be modified.

I am bringing it back to my buddy tomorrow and will keep riding my cheap starter road bike this winter until something comes available (if anyone has something in a 54 or 56 they are looking to sell in the spring let me know). It doesn't make a huge difference on the trainer anyway.
I always have things for sale

Right now I got a 55cm All city Gorilla Moonson on the block and possibly my 2018 Kona rove ltd.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #2347
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If the bars are too low and too much of a reach you can usually move your seat forward, get a higher rise stem, shorter stem, or even riser road bars now. That might buy you an extra 2” of height on the front end.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:36 AM   #2348
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
If the bars are too low and too much of a reach you can usually move your seat forward, get a higher rise stem, shorter stem, or even riser road bars now. That might buy you an extra 2” of height on the front end.
Just fix it properly and get a fork. By time you get a stem and bars you'll need new cabling and housing ( generally) plus labour your out more than a high quality steel fork. Even if you get a new fork tho the stem may still be to much and the bars reach may still be too much. Take your time and get a new bike that works for you .

My advice save those Penny's and get a new bike that works for you. You can get good deals on used bikes but only the most experienced riders usually get them( deals) The reach doesn't work for you but you havnt checked drivetrain wear or anything else by the sounds of it. Lota of decent road entry bikes now says at 1400. Usually Claris equipped which is a bummer ( warranty
issues 2 + years) but at least you know everything is tip top shape.

Like you said previously If you want some advice I'm more than happy to help through p.m. The last 4 bikes and trikes I've sold have been to Simon Whitfield. I've also been wrenching on his bikes for a while now (seems happy with my work) so I may be ok to help you if you can't make it into a shop locally.

The offer goes to all here. Because I work in a well respected shop in Victoria I've been able to cater to many high end bikers like whitfeild, hesjedal etc. Alot of them retire in canadas cycling capital or long term stay and they choose us .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-06-2021 at 05:01 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #2349
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The LBS did throw the bike up on the stand for me while I was there and did a once over on it. It needed a new chain and cassette and there was a decent bit of tire rub on the rear triangle that would likely have to be fixed down the road. Just too many little things are adding up beyond the fit to make me move on.

Thanks for all the advice, it's what makes this community truly special.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #2350
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
shorter stem
My opinion is that stem length should be picked based on handling characteristics, not bike fit.

You should pick the right stem length for the handling you desire, then adjust the rest of your setup around it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #2351
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the super informative post, I'll send you something via PM to not clog up this thread unless people are interested in my sizing. I am actually testing a new-to-me bike because a buddy is selling his 2016 Cannondale SuperX Rival and is letting me test it out before buying it. I think the sizing is right, but I definitely feel like I am reaching a little bit more. This new bike and my current one are both 54s.

Also, thanks for the seat height tip Fuzz, I lowered it by about half an inch tonight and didn't have the same issues during my spin.
be careful of moving saddle and handlebar height to abruptly, its generally better to move them in smaller increments, a half a cm at a time, to allow your body to adjust to a new position
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #2352
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Seems like the most appropriate thread for this question:

Does anyone own or is thinking of owning a peloton bike? I’d be interested to hear experiences or thoughts about it.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #2353
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not a Peloton, but we purchased a Bowflex (Nautilus) which is considerably less expensive and provides all I need for a workout. However, I can't really comment on it because it hasn't shipped yet. There is up to a ten week wait for shipping. I assume Peloton is similar. London Drugs sells Echelon which I think is also made by Nautilus. It was in stock a couple of weeks ago in Sage Hill.

https://www.bowflex.ca/en-ca/bikes/c...SABEgLfDvD_BwE

The Bowflex is compatible with all of the apps like Peloton and Zwift. My wife will probably subscribe to Peloton but I just make my own routines up and listen to my own tunes.

I normally wouldn't consider the indoor bike for purchase because my work gym has a few Keisers (and I mostly box in the winter). But the gym is now closed until who knows when and I have this heart issue to deal with as well, so we bought the Bowflex.

For my cardiac rehab, the Doc wants me to engage in more steady state intensity cardio in a specific heart rate zone. Right now, I do boxing workouts with a heavy bag and while it's my favorite type of workout, it is more interval training and doesn't provide me a long session of moderate intensity in a specific heart rate zone. I don't enjoy running/jogging and I could possibly get the moderate intensity while cycling, but not in the winter months.Even in the summer months, my cycling is more interval training than steady state anyway.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #2354
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

My consecutive days of cycling streak ended at 71, when I didn't cycle on Saturday. I went skiing during the day and couldn't convince myself to spin when I got home that night. It likely was going to end this Saturday anyways, so it wasn't as tough as a decision as I thought. In those 71 days I cycled 3,270 kms in 97 hours, for an average of 46 kms in 82 minutes per session, with an average speed of 33.7 km/hr. Each day was for a minimum of one hour. My longest distance was 100 kms, which I did twice. Once was in 2:30 and the other was in 2:45. For full disclosure, all of this was on Zwift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point

Last edited by squiggs96; 01-12-2021 at 02:50 PM.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #2355
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
It's not a Peloton, but we purchased a Bowflex (Nautilus) which is considerably less expensive and provides all I need for a workout. However, I can't really comment on it because it hasn't shipped yet. There is up to a ten week wait for shipping. I assume Peloton is similar. London Drugs sells Echelon which I think is also made by Nautilus. It was in stock a couple of weeks ago in Sage Hill.
We took delivery of our Bowflex Nautilus in November, we use the Peloton app on an iPad. It's pretty seamless. Really enjoying the experience, the bike is excellent.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #2356
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Great commercial for a bike share company in Ireland featuring Sam Bennett (the cyclist not the Flame).

"You have to wear the dirty nappy..."

Last edited by KTrain; 01-20-2021 at 08:42 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #2357
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fantastic as always. mega scary but talented to the nth. I can barely handle little slabs yet he finds his way down no problem.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #2358
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found my new (to me) bike. 2017 Cannondale CAADX. I am happy with the price I paid and the condition of the bike. Was definitely worth waiting to find the right bike. Now this damn snow just needs to melt so I can go ride it.

Spoiler!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #2359
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got on the Zwift train but haven't done too much beyond the pre-made workouts so far. I am enjoying the 30-60 minute type things though, which get my heart pumping before I do one of my typical strength & mobility workouts. I love the ERG mode as well.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #2360
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I got on the Zwift train but haven't done too much beyond the pre-made workouts so far. I am enjoying the 30-60 minute type things though, which get my heart pumping before I do one of my typical strength & mobility workouts. I love the ERG mode as well.
Try some of the shorter scenic routes also. And don’t be afraid of some of the group ride events, they can be fun and most are pretty welcoming.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post: