Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Question Question for all...

So this is a little random and way off topic but curiosity has gotten the best of me and I would like to hear CP's thoughts.

Heres the story,

I was lurking on another forum (NY yankees) reading about the Arod debactle and using performance enhancing drugs. Anyways I was reading posts and it appears that Curt Schilling registered for an account and was actively posting about the issue. Now as most know, the yankees red sox rivalry is one of the most heated if not the most in all of sports. To add to this Schilling has broken the heart of many yankees with some classic performances and has gone on record to say he would NEVER play for the yankees. Schilling was having an argument with one poster in particular and the other Yankee faithful seemed to side with Schill which totally surprised me!

So the question is.. If an Oiler or Canuck player registered an account at CP what would the welcoming be like? Would you guys forget about your hate for the team and be star struck or would you challenge them at every chance you got!

Also has this ever happened before my guess would be no but who knows!

Thanks all for reading!
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is actually Kevin Lowe.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be interested on their take of most NHL releated situations. Their opinion would likely be more valid than 99% of the fans posting on the board.

Getting an outside look into an organization that most posters hold dear would be a refreshing angle. That's why I never get upset reading Canuck/Oiler fans opinions of the Flames here on CP. Unless they're just stirring the pot, then they can get bent...

In fact I enjoy reading their opinions much more than the doom and gloom Flames fans that can never find anything good to say.

The opposing player may give some great info to look for that the fan never sees. Maybe he would know a good way to beat Kipper high, or to frustrate a certain player to take them out of their game, etc. As long as he doesn't join another teams board just to talk garbage, I'd welcome it for sure.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd welcome them.

Most of my beef with the Oilers and Canucks is because of their fans, not because of their players, with a few obvious exceptions of pest or lowly-type players who thrive to agitate, injure and cause trouble.

Otherwise, if Luongo or Moreau were to sign up and interact with us, I think it would be pretty cool!
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the link if anyone is interested in reading schilling comments the guy seems super intelligent. Ironically it starts on page 38

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...116242&page=38
The Following User Says Thank You to Papi34 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are only one or two players in the NHL that I genuinely hate, and they don't play for the Oilers or Canucks (hate as people, that is.) If they mentioned that they played for either team, I would be very interested in what they said.

However, having seen Conroy's interviews compared to the average cliche-spewer, we know that not all NHLers are equally personable and intelligent in conversation. This probably holds true on a message board as well. My question is, which player from those two teams (or any team, for that matter) would make himself a target on CP due to his uninformative, jerky contributions? (And as a note, I think Stortini would probably be a funny, random kind of poster.)
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34 View Post
So the question is.. If an Oiler or Canuck player registered an account at CP what would the welcoming be like? Would you guys forget about your hate for the team and be star struck or would you challenge them at every chance you got!
Is there anyone on the Oilers or the Canucks to be star struck about?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the ice, I hate them, off the ice, they're just another human being. Oh, I'd probably light heartedly give them a rough time, but at the end of the day I'd respect their opinions.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be great to have more people that would actually know about things firsthand, unlike me.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was friends with a Canucks player years ago. We rarely talked hockey although he knew I was a hockey fan as I used to hit him up for free tickets. Like another poster said, with some exceptions I don't dislike the players, just a lot of their fans. So a player from another team would be welcome on my part.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-04-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Papi34, if you are a Canucks or Oilers player, you don't need to ask our opinion before revealing your true identity. Have some self confidence!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
There are only one or two players in the NHL that I genuinely hate, and they don't play for the Oilers or Canucks (hate as people, that is.) If they mentioned that they played for either team, I would be very interested in what they said.

However, having seen Conroy's interviews compared to the average cliche-spewer, we know that not all NHLers are equally personable and intelligent in conversation. This probably holds true on a message board as well. My question is, which player from those two teams (or any team, for that matter) would make himself a target on CP due to his uninformative, jerky contributions? (And as a note, I think Stortini would probably be a funny, random kind of poster.)

I wouldn't use interviews as a way to judge a players personality/intelligence.

My cousin played for a number of teams in the '90's, and I got to meet and see a lot of players in their own environment. What I saw was that most players were very passionate, and opinionated about the NHL. Many players sounded just like us fans, in terms of knowing what's going on around the NHL.

You would never be able to tell by watching them in interviews.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't think of very many NHL players who would do something like that, but it would be very interesting to hear their opinion no matter what team they played for.

Thanks for posting that link BTW, it's really cool that any player would come to a message board of a rival fan base and give his opinion on things, but for it to be Curt Schilling, that's really cool.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If it was Stortini or Burrows I would freely call them a disgrace to hockey and send them a spit-o-gram.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
I can't think of very many NHL players who would do something like that, but it would be very interesting to hear their opinion no matter what team they played for.

Thanks for posting that link BTW, it's really cool that any player would come to a message board of a rival fan base and give his opinion on things, but for it to be Curt Schilling, that's really cool.
I thought it was pretty cool myself figured some here might find it interesting. Im a huge schilling fan cus i love a guy who will just speak his mind and say it with no BS.

I was incredibly surprised at how intelligent Curt is. I have followed his career for a long time but never knew how smart the guy was. Love him and always will for the player and person he is. A true Sox
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #16
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I would respect the player's opinion certainly.

There are a lot of posters (me included sometimes) who talk about the NHL game of hockey like they have first hand experience. Well as posters on a message boards, we don't know what it is like to play NHL hockey.

So if an argument broke out between a fan and a player, and it was clearly in an area where a player would have much more expertise, or course I would back the player. It wouldn't really matter what team the player played for. It has nothing to do with being star struck and everything to do with recognizing an expert when I see one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

if Burrows or Stortini registered, i'd kindly tell them to DIAF
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
There are a lot of posters (me included sometimes) who talk about the NHL game of hockey like they have first hand experience. Well as posters on a message boards, we don't know what it is like to play NHL hockey.
there is an active poster on CP that is a former NHL player...him and I have disagreed on a few things as well as agreed on many things.

just because he played does not make his opinions any more valid than anyone else.

Though i am the first to admit he has convinced me to change my opinion a couple times now....but it took much time and further debate.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I know of junior players that signed up and posted on their team's forum. I also know of a situation where during a tight playoff between Cape Breton and Halifax, a poster from Cape Breton talked trash about how one of the star Cape Breton players was going to dominate that night, in the series etc. Found out afterwards that the poster was indeed the star player himself (for the record he did do what he said he would).

I also know of a sports reporter posting trash only to be found out after the fact (note to players and media, the forum moderators are also posters!)

Ahhh junior hockey, well more particular the QMJHL, what a sh*tshow! If it were legit it truly would suck!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
On the ice, I hate them, off the ice, they're just another human being. Oh, I'd probably light heartedly give them a rough time, but at the end of the day I'd respect their opinions.
My theory exactly. There are very few players I hate. I respect and like lots of players that play on my rival teams.

HOWEVER

when you put on the jersey I don't hate you personally I hate the team you happen to play for.

ie: one of my favourite players is Marc-Andre Fleury. I want to see him do very very well. However I also want the Pens to get blown out when playing the Flames. Crest on the front comes before the name on the back.

I can like each player individually but as a collective want them all to suffer an imeasurable amount of pain in defeat.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hate , rivalry