Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #1961
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I think any store that sells them would charge a premium. If you got one used you can get a new battery from Apple for $35.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ipho.../battery-power
Nice. $35 is a bargain.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #1962
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If you do get a used phone, a good app to tell how good the battery is- Battery Life Doctor.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/batt...165930552?mt=8
Going to "Battery Raw Data" it will show Design capacity. My phone is fairly new so it shows 1822/1822 mAh (100%.) However my old 6 showed around 75%. Which meant at full charge (and screen showing 100%), the battery was really only at 75%.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #1963
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If you do get a used phone, a good app to tell how good the battery is- Battery Life Doctor.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/batt...165930552?mt=8
Going to "Battery Raw Data" it will show Design capacity. My phone is fairly new so it shows 1822/1822 mAh (100%.) However my old 6 showed around 75%. Which meant at full charge (and screen showing 100%), the battery was really only at 75%.
Can't you just go to settings-battery-battery health (beta)?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #1964
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

That must be new. I'll have to try a couple of older phones here at work to see how those compare. The one thing I know is that when the app was showing 75%, when I took the phone to the Apple store their own tests showed the batter to be at 95%. (And they refused to replace the battery- even though I was willing to pay the $100 at the time.)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1965
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be interested to know, since my 7 is showing 89%.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #1966
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Just updated a 6+ at work- Battery Life Doctor shows 93% design capacity, and the Apple Battery Health shows 96%.

Now I'm curious if that's a 3% margin of error, or if the Apple app is only showing about 50% of the depreciation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #1967
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm selling my old SE, but it has blemishes, so probably not what you're looking for.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #1968
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I might be selling my SE as well depending on what Apple has to say next month.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #1969
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Any reliable places to get a refurbished iPhone 6 or SE? My daughter (12) wants to move from Android to the dark side. Looking to get her something nice with a new battery. She's had her current Samsung for three years and it still looks brand new, so I don't want to get her an old scratched up phone that was somebody's daily driver since I know she'll take care of it.

I want to keep her on her current plan as it's only $30/month, which is why I want to buy a phone outright versus a hardware upgrade which would increase the price of the plan.
There are a lot of seller refurbished models on Ebay Deals which give you a nice cheap option, like this one.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #1970
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on a refurbished rose gold SE on Amazon for $229. New ones on Apple are $469 so if this is good it seems like a great deal. 90-day warranty so that gives me piece of mind. I'll check the battery as soon as it arrives - thanks Ken.

Can't wait to surprise her with this!
Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #1971
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on a refurbished rose gold SE on Amazon for $229. New ones on Apple are $469 so if this is good it seems like a great deal. 90-day warranty so that gives me piece of mind. I'll check the battery as soon as it arrives - thanks Ken.

Can't wait to surprise her with this!

Make sure it's not a fake. Some guys have been known to mock up some pretty realistic phones with an iOS themed Android.

Last edited by Wormius; 08-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #1972
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hah hope that doesn't happen, but I do have confidence in Amazon's return policy.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #1973
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Speaking of phones being so tall its hard to reach the top... Why does iOS align the icons on the home screen to the top? It makes no sense.

The safari address bar should be selectable from somewhere other than the top as well.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #1974
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro and the battery is starting to go. I took it into the Apple store and they said that the battery is defective so the price to change it will be $249. This is in contrast to $449 for changing a battery that has reached the end of it's lifecycle.

The sale rep then advised that I shouldn't bother changing the battery rather, sell the Macbook for $700-$800 while it still has value and then buy a new one or switch to a Macbook Air. However, my Mac works well the only issue is the battery.

After looking through some of the postings on Craigslist, there are a ton of Macs for sale that are later models than mine. So should I even bother trying to sell it while it still has value and just change the battery? I'm wondering if a brand new model is even worth the price. I primarily use the Mac for work, internet, music so I don't need a ton of computing power just something that's reliable and good for everyday use.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1975
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

If your going to sell it do it soon if the new rumoured entry level MacBook comes out in semptember because used prices will drop. I have a few MacBooks kicking around and have replaced the batteries several times because they still work decent, it’s super easy to do.

I see MacBooks on Kijiji all the time and wonder how people think they can sell 2010 MacBooks for 800 when a refurbished by Apple air is 700ish and Apple refurbs are indistinguishable from new.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #1976
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

^^
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea a new entry level Macbook was being released. It certainly makes the choice easier on whether to sell or not.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #1977
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s only rumoured so far so it’s not a sure thing. I imagine there is a good chance however as they want to go after the new surface and pixel book.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #1978
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro and the battery is starting to go. I took it into the Apple store and they said that the battery is defective so the price to change it will be $249. This is in contrast to $449 for changing a battery that has reached the end of it's lifecycle.

The sale rep then advised that I shouldn't bother changing the battery rather, sell the Macbook for $700-$800 while it still has value and then buy a new one or switch to a Macbook Air. However, my Mac works well the only issue is the battery.

After looking through some of the postings on Craigslist, there are a ton of Macs for sale that are later models than mine. So should I even bother trying to sell it while it still has value and just change the battery? I'm wondering if a brand new model is even worth the price. I primarily use the Mac for work, internet, music so I don't need a ton of computing power just something that's reliable and good for everyday use.
for a 2012, it's pretty easy to change the battery yourself. you can pick one up on ifixit for ~$115. just make sure it includes, or you buy a Mac driver set for the specialized screws.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #1979
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks, I checked iFixit, found the battery but the site had comments about how this version of the Mac had an adhesive applied to the case. Any idea if that complicates the removal process? I'm pretty good with a hammer but not so much with intricate and tiny computer parts.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #1980
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Thanks, I checked iFixit, found the battery but the site had comments about how this version of the Mac had an adhesive applied to the case. Any idea if that complicates the removal process? I'm pretty good with a hammer but not so much with intricate and tiny computer parts.
No, I have no idea, mine didn't have an adhesive.