Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #161
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
with a bit of overclocking, a smartphone can have more power than that laptop. kind of mind boggling when you think about it
Not even close. The core2 powered Macbooks are stilly highly viable machines, even running Lion, assuming one has sufficient RAM (and 1 GB isn't enough). You can squeeze 3GB into a MB2,1 which would go a long way to alleviating performance concerns.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #162
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can do an upgrade like that on my macbook? Would I go to an official apple retailer for something like that?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #163
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
You can do an upgrade like that on my macbook? Would I go to an official apple retailer for something like that?
It's easy - I'd grab a pair of 2 GB PC-5300 SODIMMS. You remove the battery, and there is a metal strip that runs vertically around the inside, held in with about 4 screws small phillips head screws, You remove that, and the RAM levers out with a pair of levers. Push the new RAM in securely (make sure its all the way down, it can take quite a push), make sure the metal strip gets replaced nice and snug, and you're done. Takes about 15 minutes to do the install. Any random computer nerd could do it, no need to go to the dealer.

I recommend going 2 x 2GB SODIMMS rather than 1x1 GB and 1x2 GB so that your Macbook continues to run in dual-channel memory mode. It'll only see 3GB of the 4GB installed, but the price difference is not very much..The alternative is to save $10, and take about a 10% performance hit by not having a matched pair of SODIMMS.

These ones here will work perfectly:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...16414(ME).aspx
Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #164
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'll give that a shot. Problem is, I'm about as computer illiterate as you can get, but at least you make it sound pretty easy. I'm out of thanks', so I'll hit you up later. Thanks!

Edit - And dust was mentioned earlier. Is that at all a possible problem, maybe not related, but something I can fix? I wouldn't want to start taking this things apart to blow the dust out of here and cause more problems.

Last edited by metallicat; 07-31-2011 at 04:37 PM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #165
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I'll give that a shot. Problem is, I'm about as computer illiterate as you can get, but at least you make it sound pretty easy. I'm out of thanks', so I'll hit you up later. Thanks!

Edit - And dust was mentioned earlier. Is that at all a possible problem, maybe not related, but something I can fix? I wouldn't want to start taking this things apart to blow the dust out of here and cause more problems.
Here is the RAM upgrade guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...-Duo-RAM/512/1

And here is how to look for dust: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...per-Case/515/1

The upper case pull has a ribbon cable involved - if you've never disassembled a laptop before, that might be one to leave to someone with a bit more experience.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #166
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what is this going to do for me? Should this basically just help the laptop run better and therefore maybe not need the fan as much because it's being more efficient?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #167
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After a week of tinkering, I've got Lion up and running 100% on my "Hackintosh"...

Very happy with the changes they've made. Finding myself using Mission Control way more than I ever used Expose.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #168
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So what is this going to do for me? Should this basically just help the laptop run better and therefore maybe not need the fan as much because it's being more efficient?
No, the RAM upgrade thing started as a response to the poster suggesting that a 2 GHz Core2 was slow - it's not; with more RAM its still a viable machine. Any mac with 1 GB of RAM these days is going to be fairly slow. It's not unusual, for example, for Safari on Lion to chew up 500-700 megs of RAM.

Adding RAM won't reduce the fan noise though, that's either the SMC or dust build up. Could even be a failed heat pipe, but if it was that the fan would be screaming full tilt all the time I expect.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #169
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm such a dummy and only bought one RAM stick. Moron. I installed it and it recognizes it, but I guess I'll have to get another one. It now says 2.5 for the memory. Thanks for the help sclitheroe!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #170
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm such a dummy and only bought one RAM stick. Moron. I installed it and it recognizes it, but I guess I'll have to get another one. It now says 2.5 for the memory. Thanks for the help sclitheroe!
That's still over twice what you had before, which will be a nice little boost.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #171
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So another one will only add another 500, correct?

I'll give the removing the case thing a try at some point and see if it needs to be cleaned out at all. I hope adding the RAM at least can add some life to the macbook, I'm really not wanting to replace it with a new one at this point.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #172
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So another one will only add another 500, correct?

I'll give the removing the case thing a try at some point and see if it needs to be cleaned out at all. I hope adding the RAM at least can add some life to the macbook, I'm really not wanting to replace it with a new one at this point.
Correct - the side benefit is that if both RAM sticks are the same size, the machine picks up somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8-10% performance. If you don't find your graphics any slower (eg. scrolling in Safari), I wouldn't worry about it if you are happy.

It's already likely going to feel snappier with the extra RAM, so its not like you've hurt yourself.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #173
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Picking up a new 13" Macbook Air today (base model). I have that sick "going to spend over $1000" feeling. It's now that I wish I'd bought more of my apps on the app store. I get the $100 app store credit but my 2 favorites (Hazel and Alfred+powerpack) aren't available on it. What should I get?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #174
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought this was an interesting post:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/03/...ok-air-prices/

For all the talk of Apple bending consumers over with their computer prices, it's interesting that the Intel ultrabooks are unable to get their prices below their MacBook Air counterparts.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #175
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Thought this was an interesting post:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/03/...ok-air-prices/

For all the talk of Apple bending consumers over with their computer prices, it's interesting that the Intel ultrabooks are unable to get their prices below their MacBook Air counterparts.
The new Airbook is very reasonably priced for what it is. If I had the beans I'd buy one today.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #176
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything on my MacBook seems to be breaking at once. My AC adapter has stopped working, and the battery (which is currently dead) can barely hold a charge. I added that RAM, but I'm starting to think that spending any more money on this laptop is counterproductive. It might be time to upgrade completely. I don't 'need' a laptop anymore, although it's nice to have. I sort of want an iMac, but I'm not sure if I really need that either.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #177
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Macbook Air update!
I went in to buy the 13" but after looking at the 11" model I was swayed. The mid-level 11 is almost identical to the bottom-level 13.

It will be very hard to ever go back to any drive that isn't solid state at this point. I am so blown away I can say with certainty this is the happiest I've ever been with a computer.

The speed of this thing is outstanding. On my work Mac it takes about 20 seconds to load up the latest release of photoshop (it's several years old). The Macbook Air can open Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Illustrator all at the same time in under 5 seconds. Aperture (a photo program known to be a bloated beast on a good day) boots up instantly and handles very large photographs with little to no effort.

So far one week in the size hasn't turned out the be a factor at all. I was a little worried that it would be too slow, but I'm completing full projects on it without any trouble at all. Fullscreen mode on certain apps is a god-send when dealing with a lack of space.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #178
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have an older iMac with 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 of ram running snow leopard and I have a few questions.

1) What is the cost to upgrade the RAM? Is it worth it as I am not looking to buy a new computer.

2) Will an upgrade to Lion be worth it or is a newer machine needed.

3) Will an upgrade to Lion reset all of my setting (Permissions etc...) I kind of hope it does as it is kind of a mess right now? Different profiles etc... but sharing iTunes etc... is not working well.

4) I do have a time machine back-up so I can do a compete wipe but this is not my strength on an Apple machine and it I were to screw it up and lose stuff my wife would kill me. Is this something I should be looking at?

Thanks

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #179
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you say "older iMac", how old do you mean? You can go into System Information (accessed from the Apple Menu) and it will tell you the exact model.

RAM upgrades are very cheap at the moment. I bought a new (mid 2011) model iMac, and Memory Express currently sells 4GB sticks of RAM for only $30 each. Depending on the age of your computer, though, it may use an older, more expensive type of RAM.

Re: upgrading to Lion. I'd say it's worth it, and it's a pretty cheap upgrade. If your Mac's performance running Snow Leopard is acceptable to you, your computer will likely run Lion just fine (even moreso if you also add more RAM).

Upgrading to Lion won't reset your permissions, so you're a bit out of luck there. If your permissions are broken beyond your ability to fix them, a full HDD wipe and OS re-install is your best bet, but if you're uncomfortable with this, don't do it.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #180
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
When you say "older iMac", how old do you mean? You can go into System Information (accessed from the Apple Menu) and it will tell you the exact model.

RAM upgrades are very cheap at the moment. I bought a new (mid 2011) model iMac, and Memory Express currently sells 4GB sticks of RAM for only $30 each. Depending on the age of your computer, though, it may use an older, more expensive type of RAM.
I believe we purchased the iMac in 2009. I think I will upgrade the RAM for $60 I can get 8GB for RAM. Without the exact model number will the RAM in your link work in my machine? I am not at home so I can't check the model number.

edit to add processor

2.66 GHZ Intel core 2 duo

Last edited by Mccree; 08-08-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote