Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #121
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Played through the demo last night and I haven't been following it that closely so didn't realize the combat was action combat which made the gameplay so much better IMO. Personally if I wanted to play the old style combat I could just play the old FF7 on PS4 so this was quite refreshing. That said is this still episodic? because that is a deal breaker for me as nothing would be worse than having to wait for the next part so if it is I wil wait until its fully released to play.
Square hasn't really talked too much on it, but I imagine they're viewing FF7 as a franchise in and of itself going forward. This is going to be a huge success for them, and I would think they'll chase the cash - so while the traditional FF7 story is going to be expanded, I bet we see this story go well beyond what we experienced in the original FF7 release.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #122
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

So other than the fact that it's spread over multiple games, this is looking like a home run. Or is my childhood bias blinding me?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #123
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
So other than the fact that it's spread over multiple games, this is looking like a home run. Or is my childhood bias blinding me?
I love the combat change, they could have easily phoned it in and just directly ported the original combat with updated graphics. When there were enemies to fight I didn't get the feeling it was a chore like with the original where I often found myself just running from battles.

With that said there is no way I could pick this up and not know when the next part comes out its the same reason I don't like watching TV shows that are still going.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #124
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played through the demo last night before bed. My thoughts

- Wow, holy nostalgia. I loved every second of it, all the call backs, but with the right amount of updating and additions to make it fresh and new.
- Love love love the graphics. This is going to be a beautiful game, and I'm looking forward to seeing Midgar and the the FF7 world fully rendered on the PS4
- Absolutely love the new battle system. It is the same, yet entirely different. I wasn't sure how it would work when I started, however as soon as I started the battles, I found it very intuitive and almost like riding a bike. I did find it difficult when trying to control another character (i.e. Barret), that the ATB gauge wasn't full and I couldn't do much without switching over. I may have been super tired though...
- Further to that new battle system, I found myself highly enjoying the battles. Similar to another poster, I really enjoyed it and could see myself not running away from battles, like I did in the original. I played a bit of FF15, and I find it very similar, and really enjoy it. Because of the battling, I essentially went start to finish on the demo, starting at 1am, and ending around 2:30am, and was sad I couldn't play more.
- Yep, there goes my life once this comes out... haha.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #125
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

2 more days!!!... I've tried to avoid all reviews and gameplay things from youtube. I'm about to get zero sleep this weekend.

Yeesh... i feel like I'm 15 again waiting for FF10 to come out... But this will be delivered to my door, instead of me taking the bus from Signal Hill to Chinook so I could get it from EB Games... haha
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #126
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

EB Games still hasn't called me, lol. I don't know if I'll ever get that deluxe edition, but I do have a pre-order with VGT that I will be able to pick up at some point on Friday.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #127
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

pre-ordered from amazon in 2016 for $54...it won't be on time but I can't cancel for that price

Edit: Got it today, pretty solid from Amazon

Last edited by dino7c; 04-10-2020 at 04:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #128
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man! I love what they did with the Jessie character, I wish she was playable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:59 PM   #129
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Jessie and Tifa and Aerith, this game is stocked with digital crush material.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #130
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm 6 hours in (Chapter 4), and yeah, it was worth the wait. It's been great to see all the Avalanche characters fleshed out, and the writing and voice acting for them are fun too. I can't say enough about how much I like the soundtrack too. Overall a very impressive start to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Between Jessie and Tifa and Aerith, this game is stocked with digital crush material.
I think an option was missing when Jessie asked Cloud over...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #131
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Ignoring nostalgia how is it as a game? Standard RPG play or how is it?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #132
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

It more like a Uncharted/GTA open world kind of thing. It’s not take turns with the enemy back and forth, you are free to move around in battle while smashing square. (Or whatever the real gamers are doing)

The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #133
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
To me it feels like a mashup of Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV gameplay. It's really fun to play so far. Some enemies have massive amounts of HP but the combat is entertaining enough that it's not an issue so far.

Mashing square to do basic attacks feels pretty good, and each character has a unique move or mode attached to triangle. If you press X, combat slows down to a very slow speed and you can use a menu to choose other abilities, spells or items. These abilities and spells can only be used when you have a portion of your ATB gauge filled.

You control one party member, but can press L2 or R2 to select moves for your companions to do, or just press the D-Pad to switch to those characters and control them. You also can hold L1 to quick select abilities for the character you currently control.

A fight in Chapter 4 pretty much forces you to learn how to dodge (circle button) and block (R1 button), but certain characters can only block some attacks. I'm sure it'll get more complicated as I go!

Last edited by Mazrim; 04-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #134
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

So it’s kind of like knights of the old republic except you don’t pause to plan moves and have some amount of real time action?

That’s my closest comparable. Never played kingdom hearts, Goofy killed my father and I won’t support that monster.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #135
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
A fight in Chapter 4 pretty much forces you to learn how to dodge (circle button) and block (R1 button), but certain characters can only block some attacks. I'm sure it'll get more complicated as I go!

Or just use potions/cure yourself repeatedly and take those shots head-on

Old 04-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #136
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
So it’s kind of like knights of the old republic except you don’t pause to plan moves and have some amount of real time action?
When combat slows down by pressing X, it's very, very slow. Essentially comes to a stop. If the pace of combat is too fast for you (like it still is for me), then you'll find yourself using it a lot to make sense of everything going on and figure out what to do.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #137
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
Or just use potions/cure yourself repeatedly and take those shots head-on

On that particular fight (Roche), that would make the fight take quite a long time since he only gets stunned by you blocking enough!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #138
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
It more like a Uncharted/GTA open world kind of thing. It’s not take turns with the enemy back and forth, you are free to move around in battle while smashing square. (Or whatever the real gamers are doing)
Uncharted is a decent comparison, but not GTA. The game is not open world at all.

And yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a lot as well. So far (also only at the start of chapter 5), the only real complaint I have is that the NPC chatter in the sector 7 slums is really repetitive. Which means having Tifa in your party means she's getting cat called non-stop. Typical SE inanity there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #139
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pro tip: if you’re only ever controlling Cloud and giving calling abilities on your allies when their ATB gauge fills up, you’re doing it wrong. Basically if you aren’t controlling a character, they’ll only do some standard attacks/blocks and their ATB gauge will charge pitifully slow. When you manually control them, you can do attacks and special moves and build ATB much quicker.

Think of it like you’re playing the original. Start with Cloud, attack until you build ATB, hit an ability. Switch to Tifa, do the same. Then Barrett. Then circle back to Cloud. You’ll start sticking your abilities and being able to do a lot more instead of relying solely on Cloud while the others’ ATB gauges slowly creep up.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #140
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a "classic mode" that makes the game play more like the old turn based style