Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #381
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cool!

$40.00 though...maybe not.

Last edited by BlAcKNoVa; 11-02-2018 at 09:26 PM.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #382
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #383
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not at Blizzcon this year but saw this from a friend's facebook.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #384
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Destiny 2 is free on Battle.net until Nov 18th.
ehhhhhh, still not worth it tbh
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #385
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Blizzard is getting crushed for making a mobile game - which apparently isn't even new, but a re-skin of a Chinese game - the feature of Blizzcon Day 1. 8k likes/241k dislikes, and they've been deleting negative comments on YouTube. So much so that nearly the entire comment chain is now "Hey, Blizzard. Delete this ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮"
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #386
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dislike Metokur, but his video here proves Blizzard is manipulating dislikes. It's even worse than what you see on YouTube. This is unbelievably unethical.

But yeah, gamers are the problem.

Spoiler!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #387
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
But yeah, gamers are the problem.
A bunch of media overreacting and calling out some people doesn't absolve "gamers" of still being overall a pretty whiny group of consumers.

Just look at the classic wow subreddit. If the sun doesn't shine a certain way off their grey quality shoulderpads they're gonna flip out. I don't think there's any pleasing these people. They want every and any excuse to go back to their private servers (most of which don't actually 100% represent the classic wow experience either).
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #388
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Say what you want about gamers in general, but the fact this release is coming just shows how out of touch Blizzard is with their consumers. They really missed the boat here.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #389
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's not that it's coming, but that Blizzard actually thought a mobile re-skin of a Chinese game was strong enough to be the keynote announcement.

If they announce this, then end with a teaser for Warcraft IV or Diablo IV, you'd have a completely different reaction. Instead, Blizzard tried to hype fans up for... this.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #390
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well that's just it. They got people hyped for Diablo with all the foreshadowing. If they made this announcement quietly after making major announcements, everyone would be pumped. What makes this sad is the WarCraft III remake looks so awesome, and I am pumped up as all hell for it.

Unfortunately that is going to get lost in the embarrassment of this mobile game.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #391
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
A bunch of media overreacting and calling out some people doesn't absolve "gamers" of still being overall a pretty whiny group of consumers.
I don't think gamers are whiny, they are just typically more adept at voicing their opinion online compared to average consumers. Not only that, Blizzard antagonizes them when they delete comments and artificially reduce the dislikes on their videos. Gamers are tired of this unethical nonsense.

I don't think there is anything that needs to be absolved. Do gaming journalists represent the gamers or the developers?

And of course people are going to be upset about Classic WoW when Blizzard is using sharding and improper itemization which completely trivializes content. Private servers aren't perfect, but they get the fundamentals right. Why can't Blizzard?

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #392
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It’s about ethics in mobile gaming.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #393
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's unfortunate that this can't be viewed as an independent event without reference to gamergate.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #394
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's ethics in mobile gaming?

Best mobile experience for me has been Adventure Capitalist and old Dragon Quest games.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #395
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think there is anything that needs to be absolved. Do gaming journalists represent the gamers or the developers?
I dunno, you tell me. You're the one who posted the large and difficult to follow collage of twitter posts pretty clearly targeting the journalists.

Quote:
And of course people are going to be upset about Classic WoW when Blizzard is using sharding and improper itemization which completely trivializes content. Private servers aren't perfect, but they get the fundamentals right. Why can't Blizzard?
Private servers always play with the numbers, I don't see how that's any different. If people are so concerned with the true experience, then why do they let something as fundamental as XP gain boosting slide?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #396
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I dunno, you tell me. You're the one who posted the large and difficult to follow collage of twitter posts pretty clearly targeting the journalists.

Private servers always play with the numbers, I don't see how that's any different. If people are so concerned with the true experience, then why do they let something as fundamental as XP gain boosting slide?
Private servers play with the "numbers" because a lot of core information is no longer available. A lot of information like mob health, damage, scripts are interpreted from websites like Thottbot and old videos, but nothing is outrageously out of balance. And when it is, the community let's the developers know. With that said, these things are not fundamental to the classic experience, They aren't what made Vanilla unique. The only people with this correct information is Blizzard so I would hope they get it right.

What Blizzard is altering here is the way the game plays. Sharding is so counterintuitive to the Vanilla experience that there is no defending it. Having the correct amount of debuff slots, the correct instances, the correct world events, and the correct itemization is also important but to a lesser extent. An improper timeline trivializes content too quickly which is not good for the health of the game.

People just want to see the game they loved succeed.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-05-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #397
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Sharding is so counterintuitive to the Vanilla experience that there is no defending it.
Ah yes, I remember the days of sitting in server queues when logging in. Those were the best days of my life.

Who can forget the server crashing every time the opposite faction would try to attack your capital city? So awesome. Vanilla was the best!

If they shard the starting areas during the launch period, your experience is not ruined. If you can't see otherwise then I don't think you truly remember the pains of vanilla. If they shard everything? Sure, that's not good.

Last edited by Mazrim; 11-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #398
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been playing on a private server for the last 2 years that has frequently supported over 12,000 people on one server at a time. I was one of the people who farmed spawn points in Northshire abbey just to level.

Blizzard is even more capable, and they have the resources to ensure that the population balance for each realm is healthy and can create more realms if need be. That's really not a valid argument. If raiding capital cities doesn't crash Light's Hope, it won't crash a Blizzard server, and a Blizzard server won't be nearly that populated.

And yes, busy zones are part of the experience. Sharding wasn't introduced in WoW until WotLK and that was only for a few specific quest lines. But if you remember the starting areas of each expansion (Hellfire Peninsula in particular) were ridiculously populated at release. But that's what we want. We want 5,000 people in Silithus for the AQ gate event. We want 300 player dog fights to kill Azuregos.

You can't experience anything close to this on any retail MMO.

It honestly sounds like Vanilla just isn't for you anymore. So that's okay, and I mean it respectfully. Vanilla fans don't desire to make Classic more like retail WoW.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-05-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #399
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I've been playing on a private server for the last 2 years that has frequently supported over 12,000 people on one server at a time. I was one of the people who farmed spawn points in Northshire abbey just to level.

Blizzard is even more capable, and they have the resources to ensure that the population balance for each realm is healthy and can create more realms if need be. That's really not a valid argument. If raiding capital cities doesn't crash Light's Hope, it won't crash a Blizzard server, and a Blizzard server won't be nearly that populated.
All I'm saying is that people forget the pain that happened during the vanilla days. It's a good thing private servers can handle big crowds now, but back when WoW first came out, the servers didn't. However, if you want the true experience, do you want all the bugs and issues with it? Seems like some things are okay to fix, and some aren't, and there is a pretty fuzzy line on what is okay to fix.

I want drinking while already sitting to dismount everyone in a 50 yard radius of me, dammit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #400
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we can agree that bugs and many exploits do not belong in the game. We already know that this is going to be a BFA client rolled back to 1.12, so I think that alone will correct a lot of those problems. Yeah, I don't want server lag to cause me to run around in a looting position. But that's why I'm excited about Classic because so many of these issues can be (or already are) fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: