Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #301
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was joking before, but now we're down to 14 points, and the Nets have real life
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #302
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see that the Raptors won game 134-110. Couldn’t catch it due to work, unfortunately. Looks like early day starts all week.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #303
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I was joking before, but now we're down to 14 points, and the Nets have real life
They must be female mayflies.

Raps crushed em.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #304
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mavericks are just the absolute best. So much fun. Down 18-2 in the first quarter, then somehow leading 50-36 before the half. What the hell?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #305
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a really fascinating read on the Raptors defense:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-really-good/

TL;DR version of it is that the Raptors offense is extremely aggressive (blitzing pick-and-rolls and dribble-hand-offs, double-teaming isos and post-ups, and jamming or switching on off-ball screens), but also highly variable in their aggression-level, meaning that some nights they'll switch it up and be really passive on certain actions.

As the article notes, most of the other teams with a high degree of variance are really bad defensive teams... they're doing it as a way to try to find something that works. The Raptors are the rare exception of being an elite defensive team that uses variance proactively.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #306
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Magic just crushed the Bucks by 12 . I know it's one game but the Bucks did not look good at all, especially in the halfcourt.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #307
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Here's a really fascinating read on the Raptors defense:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-really-good/

TL;DR version of it is that the Raptors offense is extremely aggressive (blitzing pick-and-rolls and dribble-hand-offs, double-teaming isos and post-ups, and jamming or switching on off-ball screens), but also highly variable in their aggression-level, meaning that some nights they'll switch it up and be really passive on certain actions.

As the article notes, most of the other teams with a high degree of variance are really bad defensive teams... they're doing it as a way to try to find something that works. The Raptors are the rare exception of being an elite defensive team that uses variance proactively.
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing. It’s fascinating to see Nurse emerge as a top defensive coach after being touted as an offensive guy coming in. Nurse has potential to be a truly great coach. I’m excited to see how we fare against the top teams in this years playoffs. Hopefully we stay focused and brush aside the Nets and get into the quality opponents.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #308
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

New video surfaces of Masai Ujiri trying to enter the court after the Raptors beat the Warriors to win the NBA championship. Confirms Ujiri was not the aggressor (and that the lawsuit filed by the security guard is suspect at best): https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-video-...-shoving-match
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #309
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two number one seeds lose on the same day, but seeing that video vindicating Ujiri is definitely the highlight of the night for me. Never for a moment did I think that Ujiri was the instigator, but it's great to see that this security guard's own body-cam footage backs up Ujiri's version of the events.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #310
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
New video surfaces of Masai Ujiri trying to enter the court after the Raptors beat the Warriors to win the NBA championship. Confirms Ujiri was not the aggressor (and that the lawsuit filed by the security guard is suspect at best): https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-video-...-shoving-match
And it took over a year for this to come out why? Could have saved a lot of grief. I guess the lawyers in the States have to make money somehow.

Hope this guy is charged with fraud and serves time.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #311
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
And it took over a year for this to come out why? Could have saved a lot of grief. I guess the lawyers in the States have to make money somehow.

Hope this guy is charged with fraud and serves time.
He didn't file his lawsuit until February. I think if he never filed the lawsuit, the video wouldn't have ever come out.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #312
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
He didn't file his lawsuit until February. I think if he never filed the lawsuit, the video wouldn't have ever come out.
He first tried to press criminal charges as well but the D.A. decided to not carry out the charges in October.

This guy has been moaning and crying since the incident happened.

Initially the sheriff's department claimed the bodycam was not on so I don't understand even where this footage came from.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #313
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He first tried to press criminal charges as well but the D.A. decided to not carry out the charges in October.

Initially the sheriff's department claimed the bodycam was not on so I don't understand even where this footage came from.
Surprised that a police department would do such a thing

The most shocking thing to me in that article was the fact that his annual salary was $240,000 a year.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #314
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game is super close right now if any of y'all wanna watch. 4 min left, Raps up by 5. It's close.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #315
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a close game. Kind of frustrating to watch. But Playoff Powell is in full swing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #316
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a gritty, hard-fought comeback win today!

Fred and Norm were great.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #317
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up 3 with 15 seconds left, Powell takes the ball away and goes down for the uncontested dunk to make it a 5 point game for 24 points on the night.

What a guy.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #318
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Norm.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #319
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the great thing about Norm is that with so much of his scoring being at the rim, his baskets are reliable even on nights when the shots aren't falling for the Raptors. When his shot is falling as well, then that's just a bonus.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #320
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Everything seems shady about the Sheriff and the department. The positive is it was unearthed he got charged for insurance fraud back in the day. Personally I hope Masai doesn't just negotiate with him to drop it. I hope Masai countersues and takes every penny of his and donates it to his charity. I'm not vindictive but when a guy in a position as that, makes up lies and not only takes away that moment, but continues by suing for BS damages, now he's greedy for money. And on top of that to make $250K US a year? What the F. Masai should make an example and not give up.

Anyway, haven't watched a game yet but good that they're up 2-0.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:

Tags
drake curse lifted , rtz , we the defending champs