Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #1201
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The negotiations with Phillips are a positive sign.
Disagree with this. Don't see Phillips as an NHL player. To me this is Conroy hedging a bet because the last thing the organization needs is to have a prospect that was treated poorly by Sutter go out and make even a modicum of noise with another team. They would be better off having Phillips come to camp and prove he isn't a player than allow him to go elsewhere and possibly earn a 13th player role on an NHL roster. That would be perceived as another failure and an embarrassment for the organization that is really taking a beating in the media. I seriously doubt Phillips improves the team in any way, but he does have potential to have the likes of Francis droning on non-stop about one that got away. The team doesn't need any further scrutiny in how they handle players.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:59 PM   #1202
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I disagree as well. From what we've heard it feels like they're setting boundaries and sticking to them. Not many teams do a full burn it down rebuild and Arizona is proof that doesn't always work. You don't want these kids getting railed on for two or three years solid and you need veterans for them to learn from.

I'm optimistic for the next couple of weeks and I'll reassess after that. While I'd obviously like Conroy to fleece a few teams, I'd ultimately be happy getting fair value for the players who would rather not sign and I wish them all well.
Arizona isn't proof it doesn't work because they have restrictions that no other team in the league comes close to having.

I don't think anyone is saying lets reubuild and take the most extreme cheap approach that no other team in NA sports comes close to taking as well.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:03 PM   #1203
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Wasn’t it reported by someone that Markstrom wants to stay?
Yup! Friedman reported it last week.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 01:04 PM   #1204
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Edmonton then? Rangers? Take your pick, not many teams clear house because it's incredibly difficult to do properly without going into a massive funk.

Edit: if anything rangers are an example of a good re-tool.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 06-25-2023 at 01:06 PM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #1205
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Isn’t their perennial suckitude an argument against doing that?
Well the Coyotes are a front to launder bad contracts for the rest of the league - whatever we are, it’s not that.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #1206
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Considering I haven't said or implied any of that I guess the made up narrative in your head must be pretty powerful.

I have repeatedly said I want a full rebuild to maximize the return we will get back for pieces. I have said that them delaying move makes me concerned about the return they could get, that going for a re-tool could reduce the return we could get. So not sure how you get that I don't want anything of value.

The way to be a laughing stock is to continue down the path we are. People around the league are already laughing at Flames, continuing down the mediocrity route is the best way to ensure the team fails and is a laughing stock.

I have been very clear that I want a rebuild, you may not agree with that plan but no need to make up fake stories and fantasy fiction based on nothing I have ever said or indicated I want.
Disagree. You’re suggesting the Flames are in control of the timeline as to when/if they deal certain players and what the return might be. That’s incorrect. The Flames are only one party. They need another willing party to trade with. We don’t know what offers are on the table and from/for who. There’s almost no reason to believe they have received the best deal they are going to get without any first hand knowledge.

You’re not the only one but you guys who are wringing your hands over something we can’t possibly know are wasting your time/energy. If the Flames were presented an offer for Hanifin, let’s say, and they were happy with it and no other party was going to beat that, then the deal would get done.

Multiple GM’s almost certainly have multiple irons in the fire. Fretting over why a deal hasn’t transpired yet probably shouldn’t be a surprise or a cause for concern. Nor should it be a sign as to what direction they may go.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #1207
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton then? Rangers? Take your pick, not many teams clear house because it's incredibly difficult to do properly without going into a massive funk.

Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa… There are lots of teams that haven’t made the playoffs in a long, long time that only now appear like they may become relevant again. Further, the Rangers and Devils have already passed them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 01:14 PM   #1208
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Disagree. You’re suggesting the Flames are in control of the timeline as to when/if they deal certain players and what the return might be. That’s incorrect. The Flames are only one party. They need another willing party to trade with. We don’t know what offers are on the table and from/for who. There’s almost no reason to believe they have received the best deal they are going to get without any first hand knowledge.

You’re not the only one but you guys who are wringing your hands over something we can’t possibly know are wasting your time/energy. If the Flames were presented an offer for Hanifin, let’s say, and they were happy with it and no other party was going to beat that, then the deal would get done.

Multiple GM’s almost certainly have multiple irons in the fire. Fretting over why a deal hasn’t transpired yet probably shouldn’t be a surprise or a cause for concern. Nor should it be a sign as to what direction they may go.
The Flames certainly can control if they start exploring those deals now, after the draft, at the end of the summer, in the season, at the trade deadline or not at all.

I have never said they are leaving great deals on the table now but if they are not sure of the direction they are taking that certainly removes the possibilities of some deals that might not be available later.

As for me wringing my hands I have said I am only concerned that the longer we go they won't go the rebuild route. I have no problem with them taking time to find the best deals possible if they have decided to go with that plan.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:15 PM   #1209
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing coming out that they are doing that at all, the opposite actually.
Trading older players who are demanding longer contracts is a positive move. There's obviously posters in here who won't be satisfied unless the Flames go total scorched earth. That's not happening. Retaining some players is not the opposite of moving on from the country club mentality. It sounds like they are only seriously considering retaining Lindholm.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #1210
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

But we won't be clearing house.

We would still have guys like Hubredeau, Coleman, Kadri, Weegar, Andersson, Markstrom, Mangiapane, Dube, Kylington.

That is still a large part of the current group of players we have.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #1211
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Trading older players who are demanding longer contracts is a positive move. There's obviously posters in here who won't be satisfied unless the Flames go total scorched earth. That's not happening. Retaining some players is not the opposite of moving on from the country club mentality. It sounds like they are only seriously considering retaining Lindholm.
The reports today said both Backlund and Lindholm are in discussion for potential deals. I think they both should be gone. That is where my concern came from with the reports.

i don't think we can go scorched earth because we have too many deals we won't be able to move without adding pieces which we shouldn't do.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:20 PM   #1212
Higginson03
Draft Pick

Plus Coronato, Pelletier, Duehr can get more ice time
Higginson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #1213
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Disagree with this. Don't see Phillips as an NHL player. To me this is Conroy hedging a bet because the last thing the organization needs is to have a prospect that was treated poorly by Sutter go out and make even a modicum of noise with another team. They would be better off having Phillips come to camp and prove he isn't a player than allow him to go elsewhere and possibly earn a 13th player role on an NHL roster. That would be perceived as another failure and an embarrassment for the organization that is really taking a beating in the media. I seriously doubt Phillips improves the team in any way, but he does have potential to have the likes of Francis droning on non-stop about one that got away. The team doesn't need any further scrutiny in how they handle players.
Is your only knock against Phillips his size?

Because there are plenty of small players succeeding in the NHL now. Another thing the Flames need to move away from is only acquiring players that are "hard to play against". The Flames have been absolutely destroyed in important games season after season, because they've been unable to keep up with the opposing teams' skill and speed. The flames need to get faster, more mobile, and more skilled.

Could Phillips be a flip? Absolutely. But not giving him a chance, after what he's accomplished in the AHL, is insane.

Let's be generous to your argument and say Phillips has about a 20% chance of working out. That's about the same odds as a 2nd round pick. Maybe the Flames should just throw away all their picks outside the first round too?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #1214
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Sure it can. It’s an asset that can be moved. The receiving team would have to have something to protect them from the player “changing their mind” but a team wanting to trade for either player can include the 2023 pick if they so desire. If it’s for a 2024 1st, the price goes up dramatically IMO. 2024 is a middling to poor draft pool and you’re giving the team that acquires either player a chance to overperform and drive the value of the pick even lower. Need more coming back then.
Or they could even trade the player they just picked. It’s happened before.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #1215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Then give him a one way deal.
Right? It’s just a big AHL salary if he’s on a one way and doesn’t make the team or becomes a tweener. Do people think a one way deal = a roster spot not he Flames?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #1216
Higginson03
Draft Pick

��Calgary Flames��

Huberdeau - Kadri - Pelletier

Mangipane - Dube - Coronato

Coleman - Ruzicka - Duehr

Weegar - Andersson

Kylington - Tanev

Zadarov - Stecher

Markstrom

Wolf

Not actually the worst if we trade Backs, Lindholm, Vladar, Hanifin, Toffoli all for futures, we’d still ice a nhl team and let the young guys get lots of playing time
Higginson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #1217
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginson03 View Post
��Calgary Flames��

Weegar - Andersson

Kylington - Tanev

Zadarov - Stecher

Markstrom

Wolf

Not actually the worst if we trade Backs, Lindholm, Vladar, Hanifin, Toffoli all for futures, we’d still ice a nhl team and let the young guys get lots of playing time
The worst part about this line up will be drafting 11th OA at the end of the year.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #1218
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginson03 View Post
��Calgary Flames��

Weegar - Andersson

Kylington - Tanev

Zadarov - Stecher

Markstrom

Wolf

That's a bottom 5 offense.

Defense is good and solid in net.

We would get back some solid players who could probably crack the roster right away though.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #1219
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
The worst part about this line up will be drafting 11th OA at the end of the year.
Even if true, 11OA is better than 16th OA isn't it?

Especially when you add in the extra futures that we add in the deals as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #1220
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Even if true, 11OA is better than 16th OA isn't it?

Especially when you add in the extra futures that we add in the deals as well.
Maybe trade tanev this summer and Mangiapani at the deadline if he is playing hot
Put a few call ups in their place and u may get in to the top 7 or 8
May as well put a few more chips in.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post: