Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Anyone have a Kindle?

I was thinking of ordering one for my wife for her birthday. If anyone has one, could u tell me how much u paid for customs/duty, etc.?

I realize there are several you can buy here at future shop, etc., but from what I gather Kindle seems to be the highest rated, not to mention that's the one she wants!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I was thinking of ordering one for my wife for her birthday. If anyone has one, could u tell me how much u paid for customs/duty, etc.?

I realize there are several you can buy here at future shop, etc., but from what I gather Kindle seems to be the highest rated, not to mention that's the one she wants!
They charged me an "Import Fee Deposit" of $37.03 but I was later refunded half of it back because it was less. They pretty much charge a 7-10% then refund whatever is not used back to you about 3 weeks later.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought one from amazon a couple days ago and it is amazing. It was $165 with shipping (I didn't need the phone option that's $50 more or the supreme version which is bigger and $400)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Don't waste your time with the Sony readers that Future Shop sells.

When I bought my Kindle (2nd version, not the one that is currently out), it was $189, plus $50 for a case to protect it, and $20 for a reading light. (The newest amazon case for the Kindle comes with a light built in, no idea how good it is though).

With shipping, it came to $300, and $10 of that was refunded at a later date.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys.

I'm assuming the import fee is payable on delivery, or is that up front? The reason I ask is I'm gonna have to get it delivered to a neighbor or friends address as to not give it away, and I gotta let them know beforehand.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesnt the Kindle limit you on only getting what is available with Amazon?
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even know about an import fee. I bought one for my mom last year, ordered off of amazon.ca, and I don't remember an import fee.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I didn't even know about an import fee. I bought one for my mom last year, ordered off of amazon.ca, and I don't remember an import fee.
I didn't have any fees with mine, I think that's actually part of the shipping cost if I recall correctly.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
Doesnt the Kindle limit you on only getting what is available with Amazon?
You can get other kinds of books off other sites, but they have to be a .mobi file. The big thing is that you can't use epub files which is a popular one used by other readers.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

If you don't mind giving her a used one, I can give you a great deal on mine. I haven't used it much and its in new condition.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'm assuming the import fee is payable on delivery, or is that up front? The reason I ask is I'm gonna have to get it delivered to a neighbor or friends address as to not give it away, and I gotta let them know beforehand.

it's on the price right at order time and that is why they refund it if they over charge.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Kindle is a great little device. I was a littlebummed out it doesn't read .epub format, but I find most publishers poblish both .epub and .mobi.

For some people it takes some getting used to, reading on the screen, but I think it's a great idea, especially if you read a lot.

If your company would allow it, you could also have your delivery sent to your place of work. Unless of course your wife is the mail lady.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
If you don't mind giving her a used one, I can give you a great deal on mine. I haven't used it much and its in new condition.
You should post this in the buy and sell thread...

Or PM me. I'm weak...I could be tempted...
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Funny you should ask about this. I just got my Kindle delivered about a week and a half ago. I love to read and I bloody love this thing.

I ordered two Kindles 3rd Generation with Wifi and 3G (or as Amazon calls them, "Latest Generation"), and two cases with built in lights. My Cabin is in a place with no electricity, hence no wifi, hence I like the 3G. The reason I doubled up and bought two of everything is not actually due to some hitherto unknown mental defect, but rather that my wife and I each got one.

The cases were expensive ($59.99) but as I said, they have built in reading lights that slide out and are powered by the unit itself. Also, the cover just looks snazzy and was, of course, made especially for the Kindle. Personally, I like the 3G as you can download stuff directly from Amazon in over 100 countries and it is free. It also has an experimental web browser which works well enough for me to check email, basic web pages, etc. Of course it's not in color, but I did not buy this item for color, but rather for ease of use and lengthy reading sessions without eye strain.

As for .epub files not working on the Kindle, I wouldn't worry about that very much. Not only do a lot of sources provide free books in multiple formats (such as Project Gutenberg), but you can also get a lot of stuff (public domain and limited time free) delivered wirelessly through Amazon. Anything you can't get in .mobi directly you can convert really easily with Calibre, a free program that can take in and convert nearly any format to nearly any format.

My total cost for two cases with lights and two Kindle 3s was $573.69 including delivery, customs and duty. This is broken down as follows:

Kindle 1: $189.00
Kindle 2: $189.00
Case 1: $59.99
Case 2: $59.99
---------
Subtotal: $497.98
S&H: $15.95
Import fees deposit:$59.76
---------
Grand Total: $573.69

I am no mathemagician, but I'm pretty sure one Kindle with case would be around half of that amount. Since it was recent, I may also end up getting a partial refund on import fees and deposit.

Based on the amount I read and the cost of new books (they are cheaper on the Kindle), as well as the huge number of free titles available through various sources, it will be a very good investment for me. It's easy to read on, you can customize the font size and type (serif vs. sans serif, etc.) and a bunch of other stuff. The

Next time I travel by plane it will be a godsend (no more packing 15 lbs of books, which I quite literally have done).

I love my Kindle so far, and I do not see that changing.

Hope that helps!
Crazy Bacon Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crazy Bacon Legs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Thanks for the offer on the used one Delgar, but seeing how it's a birthday gift, I thought it'd be best not to cheap out. If I was getting it for myself, I definitely would have been interested. I ended up ordering the 6" wi-fi model with leather case...$234.84 all in.

Thanks again everyone.