Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #41
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I placed the order... It seems NCIX did the price match, unless they cancel it while reviewing the order. The PM was indicated on the invoice, so I expect it to work.

All said, including tax, shipping and the MIR, the total was $246.15...

Once SATA3 SSD's are affordable, I'll steal your idea and move this one to the laptop.

EDIT: An hour later, and NCIX has approved the PM.

Last edited by Draug; 09-14-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #42
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Jeez...

EDIT: Will they price match like that with a MIR existing?
When I price matched a video card with NCIX, they scratched a big X mark across the label that was needed for the MIR. I don't like MIRs anyway and didn't expect to be able to use it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Without telling you that's what they were going to do!? That's about the worst outcome.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
When I price matched a video card with NCIX, they scratched a big X mark across the label that was needed for the MIR. I don't like MIRs anyway and didn't expect to be able to use it.
Wow that sucks and seems underhanded especially if they didn't get your consent first through communication.

I understand that it is their right to, especially as many NCIX rebates are NCIX exclusive through certain companies these days and they are specifically designed for certain prices that are nolonger the same with price matching but they should have told you first at least.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #45
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Without telling you that's what they were going to do!? That's about the worst outcome.
It was over three years ago, so my memory may not be exact, but I think it was in the fine print for price matching or they e-mailed me the fact, so I understood that the price match would nullify the MIR.

Looking at their price matching policy, I don't see where a price match would void a NCIX MIR, so they probably contacted me as every price match is upon their discretion.

You can find their price matching policy by placing an item in your cart.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
It was over three years ago, so my memory may not be exact, but I think it was in the fine print for price matching or they e-mailed me the fact, so I understood that the price match would nullify the MIR.

Looking at their price matching policy, I don't see where a price match would void a NCIX MIR, so they probably contacted me as every price match is upon their discretion.

You can find their price matching policy by placing an item in your cart.
Last time I did an NCIX price match, I price matched completely different versions of the Radeon 5870 from Newegg to theirs

Newegg was selling the cheaper PCB/components axial fan version of the 5870, I price matched it to NCIX's reference design (with software voltage control) model.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #47
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Last time I did an NCIX price match, I price matched completely different versions of the Radeon 5870 from Newegg to theirs

Newegg was selling the cheaper PCB/components axial fan version of the 5870, I price matched it to NCIX's reference design (with software voltage control) model.
That was sweet.
I've always had good luck with price matching at NCIX and it's simple. I haven't been able to price match at Memory Express as I don't see the option when doing an internet order from them. The reason I sometimes like dealing with ME, is I haven't had to pay PST and shipping is free.

Last edited by Vulcan; 09-14-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #48
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/ma...card_13499_ar/

Some good prices on video cards at NCIX
Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #49
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
EVGA has multiple versions of this card so buyer beware. Ones marked TR on the end of the product code are not lifetime warranty. They are only 2 year warranty. Ones that end in AR are lifetime warranty. EVGA also has ones called EE which is external exhaust. Those are based on the reference models which exhaust most of the hot air out the back of the card. Other models usually have an axial fan in the middle and are cheaper non-reference design that will blow some hot air back into your case.
Memory Express has a sale on this weekend ... the eVGA GTX460 1GB card (ending in TR) is on sale for $220. The one ending in AR is regular priced at $260.

The only difference I see is that the $260 version (ending in AR) has an external exhaust. Other than that they have the same specs.

Does the external exhaust help much? My Antec900 case is super well cooled already.

Is it worth $40 for the lifetime warranty?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Memory Express has a sale on this weekend ... the eVGA GTX460 1GB card (ending in TR) is on sale for $220. The one ending in AR is regular priced at $260.

The only difference I see is that the $260 version (ending in AR) has an external exhaust. Other than that they have the same specs.

Does the external exhaust help much? My Antec900 case is super well cooled already.

Is it worth $40 for the lifetime warranty?
If you can wait, I'd wait until the end of October as ATI's new 6000 series will be out and if it is competitive in performance and price, it could be another good option or force price drops on older cards like the 460 (not guaranteed though).

Personally, I would never buy a videocard without a lifetime warranty again as I've had one or two die on me past the 2 year warranty that comes standard for some cards.

The external exhaust is not a big deal. Some people like to have control over airflow patterns.

After saying all that though, $220 for the 1GB version of the GTX 460 is a good deal and if I hadn't bought my 5870 a year ago, I would have absolutely gone for this and gotten a second to SLI.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-02-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #51
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

And ... I bought the two GTX 460's at $220. Going to install them now.