Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
People saying Calgary fans are quiet and the dome is always quiet, have you watched a home Leafs game? That place is a morgue. Being an away fan gives you more energy as well, and with a bunch of other fans around you it amplifies it.
As someone who has been to several games in both buildings, they are absolutely comparable.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #42
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if it's cheaper to buy a decent ticket/hotel/flight to see a Leafs game in Calgary than to buy a decent ticket to a Leafs game in Toronto
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #43
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I wonder if it's cheaper to buy a decent ticket/hotel/flight to see a Leafs game in Calgary than to buy a decent ticket to a Leafs game in Toronto
This was the case in Ottawa. Our company in Toronto would book a limo to Ottawa and back, buy awesome seats in Ottawa (vs the leafs) and make a road trip to entertain clients.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is Monday game and home game 32 on the season. This is the ONLY game Leaf fans living in Alberta can cheer for their team. They treat the game like it is a playoff game.

The Dome is not a loud building during the regular season. It will transform in the playoffs but as a STH I am just not going to go scream my lungs off on a Monday unless the game is unusually exciting.

Too bad we don’t play the Leafs on a Friday/Saturday and we can get boozed up to try and match the noise it is our only chance.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
If Calgary - Toronto flights weren’t so ridiculous, absolutely.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #46
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Baby boomers love their childhood teams

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying: The presence of so many leafs fans at the Dome is a sad reminder of Canada's legacy of failing to take mental health issues seriously in the past.

Maybe we can organize a Skate for the Cure and launch an awareness day where everyone wears a blue ribbon bearing the year 1967 on it in white. All proceeds go to moving the Leafs to Quebec City.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #47
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
I get what you are saying: The presence of so many leafs fans at the Dome is a sad reminder of Canada's legacy of failing to take mental health issues seriously in the past.

Maybe we can organize a Skate for the Cure and launch an awareness day where everyone wears a blue ribbon bearing the year 1967 on it in white. All proceeds go to moving the Leafs to Quebec City.
Better yet, move the Sens to Hamilton, and have them win a Cup in their first 5 years there. That would be EXACTLY what Leaf Nation deserves.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #48
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
People saying Calgary fans are quiet and the dome is always quiet, have you watched a home Leafs game? That place is a morgue. Being an away fan gives you more energy as well, and with a bunch of other fans around you it amplifies it.

Exactly, flames fans are usually very noticeable and loud when I’ve gone to Canucks-Flames games in Vancouver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #49
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Remember in the early 2000's when Oiler fans outnumbered Flames fans 2-1 in the Dome?
Jordan! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #50
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's no way that would be the case. Calgary has some of the most-expensive tickets in the league. As already mentioned, STHs jack up the prices for the Leafs games on the secondary market, so the savings on ticket costs would be minimal at best.

Flights between Toronto and Calgary aren't exactly cheap either.

Something like that would make more sense in a market like Florida, where you can easily get cheap flights from Toronto and cheap tickets are readily available. Plus, the weather during the hockey season is much nicer in South Florida than in Southern Alberta.

I'm sure there were some people at the game last night who flew out from Toronto to see the game, but it wouldn't be because it was cheaper.

The vast majority of people wearing blue last night likely live in Calgary, or within a couple hours drive.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #51
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Most people from the Atlantic provinces are Leaf fans as well.

I noticed last night the majority of the Leaf fans were younger guys - I would assume a good chunk of them were from back East that have moved out here for work.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #52
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

People want a flames leafs series? So basically leafs get nome ice advantage either way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #53
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
People want a flames leafs series? So basically leafs get nome ice advantage either way
The playoffs are a different story from the regular season. You'd have a lot fewer STHs willing to sell their tickets to the Finals than you get for a weeknight regular season game.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #54
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Serious question: leafs vs flames scf game 7 in Calgary. How much can you scalp a pair of 2nd bowl seats for? I'd guess $20,000+
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #55
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Serious question: leafs vs flames scf game 7 in Calgary. How much can you scalp a pair of 2nd bowl seats for? I'd guess $20,000+
I think your guess it too high. Plus the 2nd bowl is too general of an area. Are we talking 1st row center or last row in the corners? I could see $5000 for a pair of the 1st row tickets.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans of visiting teams are always louder because it is their one chance a year to show their stuff. In reality, it makes them look like complete losers - if you are going mental for your team because it is your one big chance in the year to do so, all that shows is that you don't get out much (see: Rider fans).

And as someone said, fans in other buildings are not louder than Flame fans at the Saddledome. A Monday night game sounds the same in every Canadian city.

But 'away' fans are always going to be morons, thinking it is cool to do so.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #57
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fans of visiting teams are always louder because it is their one chance a year to show their stuff. In reality, it makes them look like complete losers - if you are going mental for your team because it is your one big chance in the year to do so, all that shows is that you don't get out much (see: Rider fans).

And as someone said, fans in other buildings are not louder than Flame fans at the Saddledome. A Monday night game sounds the same in every Canadian city.

Thanks Fun Police
Old 03-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #58
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

As an Old SOB, I was around to watch the O-6 in the 60's. And, of course, the NHL had TWO Canadian based teams. As a rule, Canadian Anglophones all cheered for the Leafs, whereas Canadian Francophones invariably were backers of le Club de hockey Canadien.

That generation hasn't quite died out, give us time, but, some of dear old Dad's loyalties, undoubtedly, has passed generationally.

thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #59
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's great that a fan base can go into another arena and have a great time. Just nima (not in my arena), okay?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I agree with what you are saying except it makes them look like losers.

I was in San Jose earlier this season and was cheering loudly for the Flames. I wasn’t be obnoxious or anything but i could tell my cheering was annoying to a few around me (especially when Benny has his penalty shot that would have tied the game)

The biggest losers I have seen in the Dome this year was guys wearing an Oilers jersey dancing like he was at the Jersey Shore and the Flames were playing the Flyers. Luckily our comeback was so epic and he ended up looking like an even bigger fool at the end of the game but the fact his team wasn’t playing irritated me.

I was annoyed at the amount of Leaf fans in the building and a little embarrassed we were getting out cheered by the road fans but at the end of the day the fans sitting near me were completely fine
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote