Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Vegas 2 Flames 1

Vegas 2 Flames 1

- Rittich solid
- Good road game
- Big guns still can't score
- Didn't give up much
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take a ref monstrosity if the payout is a game we can all breathe a little easier with what we have in net.

Rittich was tracking extremely well and entertainingly engaged as we've come to love - as you said... FEISTY! But we can beat any team with goaltending like that. By the 3rd, I was back to feeling confident when the puck was in our zone and it felt pretty good!

Mangiapane was a bit of a bummer, but hopefully that's just his first swing at the top 6. Him and Czarnik are playing the kind of hockey we will need to get the top lines going again but that didn't seem to make a difference last night.

Not 100% sure what to think of the 1st line last night, as I don't normally like Tkachuk on that line... but the 2 biggest problems you point out (Gaudreau and Tkachuk) were playing some of their best hockey in a few games last. Tkachuk was definitely more engaged, but I think that has more to do with Vegas than his linemates.

Monahan though might be the biggest problem on that line right now despite Gaudreau and Tkachuk statistically more problematic. With what we saw last night, I wouldn't mind Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk but I don't know what works down the lineup for Monahan. He seemed a step behind a few times last night, and I think his play conflicting with Tkachuk's was the problem last night on that line. Monahan looked good in spurts, but seemed to have an issue finding his spot if I was to guess. Gaudreau and Tkachuk might be worth exploring a bit more though.

Defence was back to solid last night. I thought Gio was one of the bigger problems against Toronto, but he looked to be on his game again. Prout was good, and Brodie had a solid game with him as a pairing. Hopefully that combo sticks around, as Andersson's pugnacity on that line could bring a new element to that pairing Gio will thrive in.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great bounce back game for Rittich.

Need to give him a 3rd start in a row against good teams. Arizona is tracking hard (7-3-0 3 pts out of 8th with a game in hand) to be the Flames first round match up.

Time to give him a taste of what it is like to be a playoff goalie.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im just holding out hope that this is the adversity that the team needs to fight through to become a better team in time for the playoffs.

Tampa is basically on cruise control. You wonder if they will be able to crank it up a notch when required. Though they can probably draw on experience and past playoff failures.

The top line carried the first half of the season, the bottom six carried the post all star push. Now both have gone cold.

Hopefully the collective will come out of this firing on all cylinders for the playoffs.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Im just holding out hope that this is the adversity that the team needs to fight through to become a better team in time for the playoffs.

Tampa is basically on cruise control. You wonder if they will be able to crank it up a notch when required. Though they can probably draw on experience and past playoff failures.

The top line carried the first half of the season, the bottom six carried the post all star push. Now both have gone cold.

Hopefully the collective will come out of this firing on all cylinders for the playoffs.
Was thinking the same thing. Playoffs will include highs and lows and its the teams that deal with adversity best that move on. We may very well get screwed by the refs on penalties and goal challenges.

Let's see how the team responds to the current adversity.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote