Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:
Default Weird network issues, tech help omg

Ok so I suspect I might have a problematic motherboard, the onboard LAN refused to work for me so I bought a new NIC.

The new NIC is setup, I can ping to websites, do a tracert to a local newspaper webpage but when I go to firefox or IE it always hangs on waiting for the webpage to respond. In fact I even just now got calgarypuck to load maybe 1/10th of the data on its page, so a complete trickle of traffic.

Here's the pings/tracerts, maybe you guys can see something I don't, or at least help me come to the sad conclusion I need a new mobo.

Tracing route to mbl.is [92.43.192.110]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 10 ms * * dsldevice.lan [192.168.***.***]
2 15 ms * * 157.157.255.114
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * 15 ms * csn-198.simnet.is [157.157.115.198]
5 * 15 ms * neumann.mbl.is [92.43.192.110]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 15 ms 15 ms * neumann.mbl.is [92.43.192.110]
8 15 ms 15 ms * neumann.mbl.is [92.43.192.110]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * 15 ms neumann.mbl.is [92.43.192.110]

Trace complete.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2496:8041:4567:68d****
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.***.***
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.***.***
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.***.***

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:1c2c:2e1:3f*****
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c2c:2e1:3f57:feb****
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\Thor>ping 192.168.***.***

Pinging 192.168.1.71 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.***.***: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.***.***:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Thor>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

how about ping -t www.yahoo.com

Let it run for a couple minutes, then hit control-c to get it to spit out the final stats on packet loss
Old 09-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a DNS or default gateway problem.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Seems like a DNS or default gateway problem.
We can’t tell from the ping samples provided - he’s pinging himself, the wrong address for the router, etc.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
We can’t tell from the ping samples provided - he’s pinging himself, the wrong address for the router, etc.
You are totally right, we need way more information, I looked at the information and made too many assumptions. I never clued in that he was pinging himself, I just assumed it was another PC on his network. He couldn't ping what I assumed is his router, so thats what makes me think gateway. I didn't even consider the fact that it was the wrong address.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Ahh silly me lol, kk gonna boot up the big boy and do that test.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

for ping -t yahoo I'm getting unable to resolve target system name.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Wouldn't this be likely a hardware issue if I've tried two NIC's and 1 wireless NIC with all the same weird problems of connectivity?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are you connected directly to the modem or through a router? I know it's very basic (and you may have already tried) but rebooting the modem and/or router is usually required when adding a new device.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah we drew cat5e from the modem upstairs directly to my room for the desktop, reset the router and switch as well, we get our TV from the same feed as the internet; silly Icelanders. Oh well 2 more years till we get our fiber optic line in.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Take the router out of the equation, I had something similar and it ended up being the router itself, it was very weird too because it was very intermittent.. like every few hours for only a few minutes.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah we drew cat5e from the modem upstairs directly to my room for the desktop, reset the router and switch as well, we get our TV from the same feed as the internet; silly Icelanders. Oh well 2 more years till we get our fiber optic line in.
What do you mean that your TV comes on the same line as your internet? What type of internet do you have? How is it all set up?

With certain cable modems if you have the TV signal and internet coming from the same source but split on a low quality unamplified splitter, this can cause the issues you are talking about.

The other thing is your hammer is probably causing electromagnetic interference. You should stop carrying it around with you all the time.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't this be likely a hardware issue if I've tried two NIC's and 1 wireless NIC with all the same weird problems of connectivity?
I would be more inclined to think it is a network issue, since 3 pieces of hardware that all essentially do the same thing don't work.

Try statically assigning an IP address, rather than use DHCP. Make sure you are using an IP address that isn't already taken. 255.255.255.0 for a netmask. Use your router's IP address for the gateway, and primary DNS server. Use 8.8.8.8 (or your ISP's DNS server if you know it) for the secondary DNS. Once the network adapter is configured, flush your dns (ipconfig /flushdns at command line).

If that works, then my guess is the DHCP server on your router is borked and sending out incorrect settings (or not sending out anything at all).

edit: This might be a stupid question, but is there a chance there is 2 DHCP servers running on your network? 2 routers maybe?

Last edited by Rathji; 09-25-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Ok so finally I did something I should have done last week, took my tower to my brothers and hooked it up to his internet, BAM both the expansion NIC and onboard NIC connected to the internet fine without any problems.

The internet companies here use the adsl for TV/Internet, so they have their own preconfigured routers that you have to use. On the back of mine upstairs it goes internet/TV/TV/internet for the router ethernet outs.

The interesting thing is that the ethernet line which goes right now to this laptop works perfectly, and when I plug it into the tower it doesn't work. Either by not even seeing the network to seeing it but not being able to load anything. Doing the usual cheap fixes like ipconfig /release renew did nothing and win 7's troubleshooting software always said to unplug and restart your router/nic.

All of those things I've done of course many times.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ok so finally I did something I should have done last week, took my tower to my brothers and hooked it up to his internet, BAM both the expansion NIC and onboard NIC connected to the internet fine without any problems.

The internet companies here use the adsl for TV/Internet, so they have their own preconfigured routers that you have to use. On the back of mine upstairs it goes internet/TV/TV/internet for the router ethernet outs.

The interesting thing is that the ethernet line which goes right now to this laptop works perfectly, and when I plug it into the tower it doesn't work. Either by not even seeing the network to seeing it but not being able to load anything. Doing the usual cheap fixes like ipconfig /release renew did nothing and win 7's troubleshooting software always said to unplug and restart your router/nic.

All of those things I've done of course many times.
It could be that you have to register the MAC address of your devices with the ISP. You should call their tech support and run through their basic troubleshooting, that will help bring potential issues like this to light.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Well the tech is baffled too, I'd take the ethernet cable from my laptop, move it to the desktop and watch the router status show the laptop connected and then nothing shows up when the desktop is connected.

Tried all the troubleshooting steps we could, they have elevated it so we'll see what they figure out. Bizarre stuff anyhow, looking forward to find out what is the problem here.