Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Boot Camp, Windows 7 and Trackpad

My sister in law bought a Macbook Pro about 6 months ago now, and despite all the hype over the OS, she wanted Windows 7 on it. Now being the geek I am, I wouldn't turn down the chance to do something new.

I got it working, and I was surprised at how easy it was, but the trackpad was acting funny. You had to press the trackpad fairly hard, until it 'clicked' for the click to register. All the other features like 2 finger click, swipe etc didn't work either.

Is there a driver you need to install for it to work normally, or is it pretty much non-supported hardware? As far as I am concerned, the trackpad on Mac are the best feature and even a diehard Windows/PC fan like myself wouldn't put up with losing it just to get Windows back.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is likely a driver for it. My co-worker did a bootcamp of Windows 7 on an iMac, and he had to do some heavy googling to find out how to make it work properly.

I'm curious though... you actually like the trackpad? I despise it. Too easy to click when you just want to move the pointer, and right click is a pain in the rear end.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
There is likely a driver for it. My co-worker did a bootcamp of Windows 7 on an iMac, and he had to do some heavy googling to find out how to make it work properly.

I'm curious though... you actually like the trackpad? I despise it. Too easy to click when you just want to move the pointer, and right click is a pain in the rear end.
Sure beats the heck out of the pad on my Dell laptop.

Personally, I prefer a VX Revolution Mouse to anything else, but often it just isn't an option.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Likwid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After you installed windows 7, did you run your Mac OSX cd in windows? There are files on that CD that contain drivers and other stuff for your mac when it is booted in Windows.
Likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Likwid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post
After you installed windows 7, did you run your Mac OSX cd in windows? There are files on that CD that contain drivers and other stuff for your mac when it is booted in Windows.
I’d get the latest version of the drivers from here instead of using the DVD: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Has anyone managed to get it working in Windows on a regular PC?

I bought one a while back for my late 2007 MacBook (it has the older trackpad), and I'd love to get it working for my Dell too.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post
Nope. I ran it in OSX! I was wondering why it didn't seem to do anything useful. In retrospect, I don't know what I was expecting it to do.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Yeah those drivers make a huge difference in the functionality of the track pad. I didn't realize it was necessary to load them at first since everything worked, somewhat, but it will be a lot more responsive once you download all the MacBook Pro drivers for Windows.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote