Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #421
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Anyone wanting a good cheap deal on a PSVR set, can PM me. MY eyes can't focus that close to my face because of my laser eye surgery. Sucks, but my loss is someones gain!
I didn't realize that was a thing. It is a permanent issue?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #422
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's considered the best PC headset these days (After the Index?)

Going to get a new one on Black Friday after my old one got destroyed while I was looking after my moms puppy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #423
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
What's considered the best PC headset these days (After the Index?)

Going to get a new one on Black Friday after my old one got destroyed while I was looking after my moms puppy
Vive Cosmos? What did you have before? The lighthouses from the original Vive work with the index and the controllers so if you wanted to skip out on the index controller for now and get just the headset its a decent price and last time I ordered it said 8 weeks and my order approved after 5 days (Then I backed out because not a fan of VR sickness)
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #424
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

VR headsets right now break down into inside out tracking and outside-in(lighthouses)

If index is the benchmark, then vive cosmos with light houses would be next best? not too certain

then there's Windows MR but microsoft has semi-abandoned that, no new hardware other than HP Reverb G2, which was co-developed by Valve. However still same limitations as windows MR(moving the controllers out of view of the camera's does funky stuff as well as occlusion, sticking the controllers behind each other so that one controller blocks view of the other.)

then there's facebook/oculus with pc link, but then there's that whole TOS with facebook and the privacy and Terms of Use rules that will brick a Quest 2.

Also security researchers may have jail broken Quest 2 so complicated and maybe shady instructions needed to free quest 2 from facebook.

www.androidcentral.com/quest-2-has-allegedly-been-jailbroken-bypassing-facebook-login-requirement

not published yet due to possible legal action from facebook/updates to quest 2 units to patch the exploit.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 AM   #425
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Vive Cosmos? What did you have before? The lighthouses from the original Vive work with the index and the controllers so if you wanted to skip out on the index controller for now and get just the headset its a decent price and last time I ordered it said 8 weeks and my order approved after 5 days (Then I backed out because not a fan of VR sickness)
Previously I had a Vive Pro, which I liked but hated the "screen door effect" of the image quality

Then I had a Samsung Odyssey+ which had an amazing image quality, but was uncomfortable as hell.

I'd rather avoid any Oculus since I don't have Facebook and dont agree with their TOS
Old 11-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #426
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone stumbles on a good black friday deal, I'd really appreciate you sharing it here!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #427
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Potential but shipping may 2021 maybe. Blew up over the last 2 weeks if one was following the usual vr news.

https://www.deca.net/decagear/#home

Voluntary HP reverb g2 reporting of pre-orders
https://reverb.danol.cz/shipping-statistics/

less than 150 world wide

Last edited by Cliche; 11-19-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #428
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I didn't realize that was a thing. It is a permanent issue?
The PSVR doesn't have a manual focus. It's its biggest flaw. For most people its fine. For far sighted people it makes it really difficult to focus on the images. I have used the samsung VR headset with phones and, with a manual focus wheel, I have been able to make the image perfect. Much much better than the PSVR.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #429
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'd imagine that would also affect people who've had laser eye surgery or wear contacts.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #430
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it was a nice dream thinking something might go on sale but no dice. Ordered an Ocolus Rift S at full price and made a bogus facebook account to get around their weird tos bs.

Woulda loved a Vive Cosmos Elite or Valve Index but $1000+? Not gonna use it that much

Last edited by btimbit; 11-28-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #431
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If anyone stumbles on a good black friday deal, I'd really appreciate you sharing it here!
I couldn't find one either. Hoping to find one Cyber Monday.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #432
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bought a Quest 2 for my kids for Christmas. Wanted to make sure it was up and running on Christmas day so set it up last night after they went to sleep. First time with VR. So freaking cool. Any must have games for me? Oh yeah, and the kids aged 7 and 9.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #433
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quest 2 is recommended by Facebook for kids 13+

also as a safety feature make sure the device is casting to either a tv or phone for supervision purposes.

Last edited by Cliche; 12-06-2020 at 12:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #434
Knut

Exp:

Boy am I having fun with the Oculus Quest 2. I had already sold my soul to facebook so I am ok with it all.

The Vader immortal series is a tonne of fun. I have probably logged 30 hours this month playing PokerVR as well.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #435
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Does the Occulus have a manual focus?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #436
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Boy am I having fun with the Oculus Quest 2. I had already sold my soul to facebook so I am ok with it all.

The Vader immortal series is a tonne of fun. I have probably logged 30 hours this month playing PokerVR as well.
We are playing a lot of Beat Saber, Virtual Job and just starting to get into Onward, Pistol Whip and Super Hot. We bought the bundle of 5 games to save 25%. Vader Immortal looks great. The Vader Immortal pack is on sale today.

Knut, are you casting it to your tv or monitor so people can watch along with the person using the headset? I think my only answer is to go pick up a Chromecast to do that. We are casting it on a smart phone but that obviously isn't ideal.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #437
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
We are playing a lot of Beat Saber, Virtual Job and just starting to get into Onward, Pistol Whip and Super Hot. We bought the bundle of 5 games to save 25%. Vader Immortal looks great. The Vader Immortal pack is on sale today.

Knut, are you casting it to your tv or monitor so people can watch along with the person using the headset? I think my only answer is to go pick up a Chromecast to do that. We are casting it on a smart phone but that obviously isn't ideal.
Yeah I bought a chromecast for it. We are using it to cast other things as well right now snd it works better than Airplay so far.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #438
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I just got back and set up the chromecast. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #439
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My wife has been using the Oculus Quest 2 for working out. She had me try Supernatural today. I have to say, that is a fun, challenging workout.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #440
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, #### this. Hardly surprising garbage.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/16/2...-quest-vr-apps

Facebook will start putting ads in Oculus Quest apps

It will expand them based on user feedback

A Facebook spokesperson says the system will use information from your Facebook profile, as well as “whether you’ve viewed content, installed, activated, or subscribed to a Oculus app, added an app to your cart or wishlist, if you’ve initiated checkout or purchased an app on the Oculus platform, and lastly, whether you’ve viewed, hovered, saved, or clicked on an ad within a third-party app.”

Facebook is leaving its future roadmap open-ended. The spokesperson says Facebook hasn’t determined, for instance, whether ads could eventually appear inside your Oculus Home experience. Facebook also isn’t yet identifying the other apps using advertisements, although it will list additional names in the coming weeks.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote