Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #101
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

The last 3 days in fernie were all time. Like unreal, waist to chest deep.

This AM I got stuck on white pass when timber shut down due to cold, and there was about a dozen of us lapping it for 4 hours. Non stop, untracked face shots. Beers at lost boys for lunch. It was like we rented a cat ski operation for the day.

Just unreal.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #102
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi all,

Sorry for the newbie question but my girl on Ontario has gotten herself into a little pickle with some used cross country ski's and I can't help out since I don't know the gear, I snowboard.

She is looking for some boots to fit her bindings, they need to be Solomon Profil SNS boots and she can't find any where she lives (London) She is asking for some help since Calgary is a ski hub.

Anybody know any shops or does anybody have any thoughts? Checking online, the used market seems to be slim pickings.

Many thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #103
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking too buy a helmet and goggles for skiiing. I don't want too spend a whole lot, as I'm a very casual skiier and rent the rest of my gear.

Where is the best place too buy gear? I was thinking Sport check but interested to hear everyone else's thoughts

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016

Last edited by flamesfan1297; 12-30-2021 at 10:22 PM.
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:08 PM   #104
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I'm looking too buy a helmet and goggles for skiiing. I don't want too spend a whole lot, as I'm a very casual skiier and rent the rest of my gear.

Where is the best place too buy gear?
Costco apparently has some cheap decent stuff according to my buddy.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #105
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for the newbie question but my girl on Ontario has gotten herself into a little pickle with some used cross country ski's and I can't help out since I don't know the gear, I snowboard.

She is looking for some boots to fit her bindings, they need to be Solomon Profil SNS boots and she can't find any where she lives (London) She is asking for some help since Calgary is a ski hub.

Anybody know any shops or does anybody have any thoughts? Checking online, the used market seems to be slim pickings.

Many thanks!

If it has to do with x-country, the Norseman is your best bet.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 11:25 PM   #106
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post

Where is the best place too buy gear? I was thinking Sport check but interested to hear everyone else's thoughts
Decathlon at South Centre is a good bet for reasonable quality gear at good prices (it’s like the IKEA of sporting goods).
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #107
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

Many thanks!
https://www.gearx.com/blog/knowledge...ibility-guide/

SNS are getting harder and harder to come by...she might be better off finding comfortable boots first and then getting compatible skis. Even kijiji here has hardly any. Happy feet are the most important thing.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #108
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lake Louise very busy today (not surprisingly - I guess)

Snowed most of the day, not heavy, but nicely.

Snow was loose and unconsolidated - for those out there that like that
Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #109
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so, i am thinking of getting new skiis and boots as my current stuff is about 10 yrs old. anyone have any thoughts.

i am a heavier guy. i would say i am a competent skiier and i mostly like to stick to blue/green groomers. Can't see myself ever doing moguls, or looking for deep powder as i am fine with where i am at.

a guy at the ski cellar suggested rossingol basalt skiis.

i did not look closely at boots, but will likely pay for a better pair as i have one ankle that is a mess from being broken/dislocated years ago.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #110
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

boots, boots, boots, boots. Forget the skis and put everything into getting a proper pair of boots. I have a really wide foot/feet and have suffered through boots for the past 6-7 years because we didn't ski too much and finally got a new pair this year.

Get measured and then go somewhere else and get measured again. I got the Atomic Hawx magna 130s and they are super comfortable.

Once you get boots sorted try a few different demos at the hill or Sports rent to see what your like about skis before buying.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #111
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so, i am thinking of getting new skiis and boots as my current stuff is about 10 yrs old. anyone have any thoughts.

i am a heavier guy. i would say i am a competent skiier and i mostly like to stick to blue/green groomers. Can't see myself ever doing moguls, or looking for deep powder as i am fine with where i am at.

a guy at the ski cellar suggested rossingol basalt skiis.

i did not look closely at boots, but will likely pay for a better pair as i have one ankle that is a mess from being broken/dislocated years ago.

Boots are by far the most important thing to having fun out there. If your current boots are working well, there may be no need to change. If they are oversized and sloppy, getting a dialed in for will make you instantly a better skier.

I don’t have much opinion on skis for groomers…do you have a need for speed or just like to cruise?

What are your current skis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #112
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my current skiis are atomic nomad smoke ti. as i recall when i bought them they were an all mountain ski. a guy at the ski cellar suggested that i look at rossignol basalt 82 and the general reviews seem to skew towards postive for these skiis.

my current boots are ok - they are the only ski boots i have ever owned. they are atomic with only two buckles. The have some kind of small partially covered openings in the toe area, that does seem to let in some snow that turns to a bit moisture over the course of the day. in the time that i have owned these boots, my right ankle has deteriorated (i have osteo-arthritis in it). i recently ahd the boots modified to accomodate my inner ankle bone as it was rubbing and getting raw.

I would say i just like to cruise blues and greens and occasionally i will open it up for short distances, but i always want to stay in control and i hate wiping out.

i could likely mange some black runs, but i would not really enjoy it, and i get confused and eventually cry when i get stuck in moguls (although the lines look so clear when you are on the chairlift). I don't see myself ever doing anything like CAT or deep powder skiing (it looks like fun though).

i am perfectly content being a green/blue skiier who just cruises along and tries to stay in control
Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #113
RinkRat13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
my current skiis are atomic nomad smoke ti. as i recall when i bought them they were an all mountain ski. a guy at the ski cellar suggested that i look at rossignol basalt 82 and the general reviews seem to skew towards postive for these skiis.

Any Rossi Experience would be great for green and blue runs as well as blacks. I would also look at the Line Sickday 88 or Atomic Maverick 88, a little wider under foot but still a great frontside ski. As for boots, take a look at Atomic and Fulltilt. I think boots are almost more important that skis, a good boot will always help you ski better.

Ski Cellar on 17th Ave has a couple of great boot fitters working there that can help you find the perfect boot, and skis too!
RinkRat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #114
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

after looking at a few model of skiis, i am going to try the rossi basalt 82's and i tried on a few pair of boots and went with rossi's as well in a 120 flex - my current boots are 100's - so it will be interesting to see if i can feel any difference.

while my current boots are broken in - they are also somewhat broken down, as inner right ankle bone really rubbed in my current boots; however, when trying on new boots, i hardly even noticed the bone rubbing or anything while sliding in and out of them or while walking around the shop (which of course is a lot different that skiing). My current boots only ahve two buckles, while the new ones have 4 - so it will be itneresting to see how i feel about this extra work to get them done up and the extra possibility of more adjsutments

will give this setup a go on Saturday in lake louise.

funny how my wife was not overly excited about this new setup as i am.

thanks to all who shared their opinions
Old 01-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #115
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Four buckles is going to be a big leap forward for ya in terms of keeping your feet locked into those boots @Northendzone.

Good luck and hope you love the new setup! Remember the boots will take a few days to pack out, and after that if they still are uncomfortable you should see a fitter (you can just take them back to ski cellar) about dialling in the fit.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #116
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boots fit like a glove.

They’re very painful on my feet.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:47 PM   #117
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is cool, so well done. Very nostalgic for those of who grew up on this hill. Scene of my best ever powder day.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #118
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just booked a mini extended weekend stay in lake louise for the end of january.

my wife emntioend the price of the hotel was $205 on friday night and around $100 on satruday night.

it is always such a treat to only have a 15 minute drive when done a day of skiing
Old 01-15-2022, 09:11 PM   #119
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spent the week in Revy which was real good, & figured I'd pop by Louise for the afternoon with a pal, on a pleasant weather, Saturday in January.

Ha.

The parking was absolute pandemonium, thank #### for my parking pass. Lined up way down Skoki road, and further than I've ever seen it down the main access road.

And it was mediocre. Think I'll go back to Revy this week, as they're in for 20 cm.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #120
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
This is cool, so well done. Very nostalgic for those of who grew up on this hill. Scene of my best ever powder day.

Good to see Chevy, and even Rob. Gone Cat-Skiing a couple times, the first time was wild. It was early in their operations, '14? We filled the cat, and knew the hill better than their guides. Fortunate to be able to point and go. Nostalgic Devils Gulch, & Wall Street laps. Was as windy as we remembered it. Even poured some near the front, in memory of the Western Canada HS fallen 4.

Chevy shared their capital plans, and investors pitch with us. Sadly, I'm short lots of millions.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: