Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #2281
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Nah man, not a chance it's the last PS4 game you buy. It's April. Best case scenario has PS5 coming out in November, but I wouldn't put a bet on it coming out in 2020 at all right now.
Even so. The only 2019 release I actually bought was Trials of Cold Steel III. When IV comes out, I'll get it on Switch - and I would have gotten III on that system as well if I had expected it to be ported over. I might take a flier on a PSVR title perhaps, but I've barely touched that in a year either.

I might try Fall Guys as a lark - though could get that on PC as well. Beyond that, well, I think it unlikely. TLOU2 does not interest me, and as noted, Cyberpunk I'll probably wait on.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #2282
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Even so. The only 2019 release I actually bought was Trials of Cold Steel III. When IV comes out, I'll get it on Switch - and I would have gotten III on that system as well if I had expected it to be ported over. I might take a flier on a PSVR title perhaps, but I've barely touched that in a year either.

I might try Fall Guys as a lark - though could get that on PC as well. Beyond that, well, I think it unlikely. TLOU2 does not interest me, and as noted, Cyberpunk I'll probably wait on.
Right, but you're basing that on assuming every remaining PS4 release is currently revealed and announced. There will be a steady stream of games coming out for it for probably two years still.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #2283
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm glad you seem to have a better idea of what my intentions and expectations are than I do.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #2284
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just a little early to say you won't be buying any more PS4 games, is all.

Like, Trails of Cold Steel IV was literally announced ten days ago (which you'd get on PS4 if there wasn't a Switch version).

There's some cool looking RPGs confirmed for Western release that don't have dates yet (Tales of Arise, Yakuza 7). We've barely seen anything of Elden Ring. Plus who knows what else could get announced in the next 6 months. It'd be like saying damn, there's really no more Nintendo games coming out this year, just Animal Crossing and Xenoblade forever, oh well.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #2285
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I hope they do Code:Veronica next, it's one of my favourites in the series and well deserving of a remake.
There's a rumor going around 4 is next but won't be out until 2022.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #2286
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I don't think an RE4 remake is the best idea. Like RE2 and 3 were pretty dated and tough to play by modern standards, those remakes had to be a complete reinvention. RE4 is still a great game even by modern standards, and the original is available in HD on pretty much any platform you can own.

I don't think there's any way it could live up to the original vision.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #2287
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
god I hope not. Don't really see how that one "needs" a remake already. I'd much rather have Code Veronica, that one was, like 2 and 3, done in a completely different era and with a completely different gameplay (the camera angles were not as static as in the first games, but still). I'll be honest, I'd even prefer 0 or a re-remake of 1 before 4.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #2288
endeavor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just like the regenerators, a big nope for RE4 remake.
endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #2289
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
god I hope not. Don't really see how that one "needs" a remake already. I'd much rather have Code Veronica, that one was, like 2 and 3, done in a completely different era and with a completely different gameplay (the camera angles were not as static as in the first games, but still). I'll be honest, I'd even prefer 0 or a re-remake of 1 before 4.
RE4 is 15 years old so fair game for a remake IMO. They could put a fresh coat of 4k graphics, a few little tweaks and minor updates and it would be a winner today. Capcom would have to go out of their way to make it a worse game IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #2290
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Brilliant stuff, even better than the first. And my lord, onions...
Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #2291
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
RE4 is 15 years old so fair game for a remake IMO. They could put a fresh coat of 4k graphics, a few little tweaks and minor updates and it would be a winner today. Capcom would have to go out of their way to make it a worse game IMO.
sure, it's been a while. Still, as a fan of the series, I'd rather have remakes of the games first that didn't have an over-the-shoulder camera. Code Veronica, 0 ... maybe even 1 again. With 4, I feel the main point to re-do is graphics, not gameplay. It's fine to do it at some point, I just hope they do other old games first, that's all.

either way, I think 8 is going to be next ... they've been working on that for a long time now. Word is they initially wanted it to be Revelations 3, but then expanded on it after good feedback from their testers and decided it's going to be 8.

Last edited by devo22; 04-13-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #2292
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sure, it's been a while. Still, as a fan of the series, I'd rather have remakes of the games first that didn't have an over-the-shoulder camera. Code Veronica, 0 ... maybe even 1 again. With 4, I feel the main point to re-do is graphics, not gameplay. It's fine to do it at some point, I just hope they do other old games first, that's all.

either way, I think 8 is going to be next ... they've been working on that for a long time now. Word is they initially wanted it to be Revelations 3, but then expanded on it after good feedback from their testers and decided it's going to be 8.
One thing to remember about RE4 is that it was a GC exclusive so the masses never got to play it on console as the GC lagged big time behind the PS2 and even the original Xbox in hardware installed base that generation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #2293
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
One thing to remember about RE4 is that it was a GC exclusive so the masses never got to play it on console as the GC lagged big time behind the PS2 and even the original Xbox in hardware installed base that generation.
at first, yes. But it's been released on a ton of platforms later. PS, Xbox, PC, Wii ... you name it.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #2294
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was like a nine months exclusive before coming out on PS2 and has been released on every platform possible since.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #2295
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some Final Fantasy Remake Summon/Theme codes if anybody wants:

AGJM-2GNG-QTFN
C35D-QDNT-F48K
NKPK-TQNC-QJEG

LCDH-JGN7-K8BD
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #2296
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played the Trials of Mana demo on the Switch. It's got me sold. Good mix of retaining the old game play while adding enough new stuff to keep it fresh. Redone soundtrack sounds great and the game is very pretty.

Only thing I didn't like was adding waypoints to where you're supposed to go -- could have at least made that toggle-able. However, since I played the original SF version a ton I know where to go already so I may be in the minority.

Also, if the first boss is any indication (the demo ends after), game is a bit too easy, though I didn't try it on the Difficult setting. It looks like a lot of spells/special attacks from bosses are completely avoidable. They show AOE markers much like FFXIV does so I was able to avoid everything but standard attacks from the boss.

Looks like they also removed co-op play. Was hoping it was something me and my girlfriend could play together, but oh well. Still will be picking this up on release. SE sent an email yesterday saying if you prepurchase this on switch, you can get Collections of Mana for 70% off too.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #2297
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

So this was just announced. Out on April 24th.

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #2298
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
So this was just announced. Out on April 24th.

It's 50% off on Steam right now too: $15
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #2299
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I love the Yakuza series. Pick up Kiwami 1 & 2. Love the Shinjuku setting too.

God, I want to go back to Tokyo.
Judgement is also a reasonable title in the same vein if you can get it for cheap. IMO Judgement is a proof of concept game which is why it doesn't follow the Yakuza moniker and is a little raw.

My buddy who is a huge fan of the series played it and said he enjoyed it as its own stand alone game. But if you compare every detail to Yakuza like some people do, he agrees you'll be disappointed. It's kinda like Mass Effect Andromeda vs the Mass Effect series. Quite a good game on its own merits, but no where close to the polish and level of the originals.

Quite a bit older is Sleeping Dogs. I love that game too for how goofy it is. Somehow for Shenmue though, I couldn't get into that series. I don't know why.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #2300
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Assassin's Creed II free until April 17.

https://free.ubisoft.com/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: