Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Pat Steinberg: Matthew Tkachuk is likely in line for a bounce back season

Quote:
This has not been a good year for Matthew Tkachuk. He has struggled offensively and hasn’t been the regular driving force we’ve come to expect. So… is Tkachuk just having a down year? Or is this a concerning trend?...

Tkachuk’s impact at five-on-five is comparable to the rest of his career. Even with his drop in production, Calgary still regularly spends more time on the attack and out-chances the opposition with Tkachuk on the ice. When you consider a career-low 7.5% even strength shooting percentage, it partly (and I stress partly) helps to explain a drop in offence.
https://flamesnation.ca/2021/04/28/m...e-back-season/

I saw the Tkachuk injury thread come back and decided to share this article. It's an interesting dive into the numbers to try and answer the question of what is happening to Tkachuk this season and is this what we should expect to continue?

The question of Tkachuk's future is biggest one this franchise has to figure out because he was supposed to be the next leader. Frankly, it's hard to picture him doing that after this season, but the numbers in this article make me feel a bit better.

Remembering that he has provided a lot more good than bad as a player for the Flames, what do you think the chances are of a bounce back for Chucky?
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's too good a player to not have a bounce back, but it may be with another team. If there's a chip we have that can bring in a great return, it's Chucky. Plus, I fear the rumours of him being neutered by his teammates may be true. If so, shame on them.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievable the Brady highlights tonight v VAN and during the last week.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another reason Tkachuk will have a bounce back season: it'll be a contract year for him.

Even with the QO requirement, I'm sure Matthew will want to capitalize as much as possible.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could definitely see a Tkachuk bounce back if he plays with the right linemates. He, much like Gaudreau, have flaws in their game. So continually chaining them to linemates that they have no chemistry with keeps them from realizing their full potential. Being elite playmakers from the wing is tough to do when everyone on opposition can hone in on you.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Another reason Tkachuk will have a bounce back season: it'll be a contract year for him.

Even with the QO requirement, I'm sure Matthew will want to capitalize as much as possible.
That's an interesting one, isn't it? Really depends on what his intentions are, insofar as whether he sees it as a contract year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would hope he would have a bounce back after the garbage season he has had. Can only go up from here.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I could definitely see a Tkachuk bounce back if he plays with the right linemates. He, much like Gaudreau, have flaws in their game. So continually chaining them to linemates that they have no chemistry with keeps them from realizing their full potential. Being elite playmakers from the wing is tough to do when everyone on opposition can hone in on you.
Man I hate this. People are continually condoning mediocre play based on linemates. Elite playmakers make their linemates better. And what does Tkachuk have to complain about - he’s played with the best centre on the team, and regularly with the fastest forward. And lately, he’s been with the top offensive guy on the team (but then the excuse is he has to play off wing).

He’s not been up to snuff this year. Can he bounce back? Sure. But IMO this year is in between his ears, and has nothing to do with chaining him to anyone.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 11:59 PM   #9
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Man I hate this. People are continually condoning mediocre play based on linemates. Elite playmakers make their linemates better. And what does Tkachuk have to complain about - he’s played with the best centre on the team, and regularly with the fastest forward. And lately, he’s been with the top offensive guy on the team (but then the excuse is he has to play off wing).

He’s not been up to snuff this year. Can he bounce back? Sure. But IMO this year is in between his ears, and has nothing to do with chaining him to anyone.
Tkachuk without a doubt makes players around him better. He even helped turn around Backlund's season last year after. Even Auston Matthews needed an elite playmaker like Marner to unlock his true potential.

I like Tkachuk's game, I think his presence on the powerplay and ability to play in the guts of the game gives the team a different element that's very much needed. He's also the best player on team below the hashmarks and draws a ton of penalties. This is a down year for him, but I think he can turn it around. His tools are simply too good.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #10
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could just be that Mattie is having trouble coping with the isolation. He's one of the single guys, isn't he? I've heard those tend to have the roughest time.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #11
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread should be renamed Matthew’s Apologists.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:05 AM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

As much as you dig in to the stats to craft a story, I watch the games. I see Tkachuk get rubbed out in the corner and easily lose the puck.

He has quit on his teammates. He could rebound statistically if he puts in the effort

Right now, it really appears he has quit on his teammates. Unless there is some wild conspiracy I’m missing. It shows up in the little things. Maybe he thinks he is fooling someone, but he’s mailing it in.

Just because fans can’t pay to be in the stands don’t mean they aren’t investing their time and dollars.

The only excuse he has is Covid recovery, in which case he should take time to recover. Matthews and McDavid are fortunate enough to have physically recovered and their teams seem ok.

So basically, if he has recovered, #### him
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:11 AM   #13
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What makes this even harder to take is how good Brady looks right now. Like a bona fide franchise changing player. Gordie Howe hat trick tonight.

But sure cue up Matthew’s stats in the early years v Brady.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 AM   #14
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
So basically, if he has recovered, #### him
See, this is exactly the kind of stuff people should not be saying, if they care about the mental health of players.

You don't know what's going on with him, but struggling with depression is actually pretty effing likely right now, because it's super common.

If he's following protocol, the team is pretty much his only social connections currently. If his problem is on the mental side, sidelining him would only make things worse.

There's just not much to do other than accept that it is what it is, and that the team will know whether Chuckie has mailed it in or just not handling the isolation well.

We can show frustration about it sure, but maybe watch the language?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #15
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
See, this is exactly the kind of stuff people should not be saying, if they care about the mental health of players.

You don't know what's going on with him, but struggling with depression is actually pretty effing likely right now, because it's super common.

If he's following protocol, the team is pretty much his only social connections currently. If his problem is on the mental side, sidelining him would only make things worse.

There's just not much to do other than accept that it is what it is, and that the team will know whether Chuckie has mailed it in or just not handling the isolation well.

We can show frustration about it sure, but maybe watch the language?

Some people use these ### type words comfortably and they aren’t as heavy as others interpret them to be, don’t overthink it.

Tkachuk has been awful on ice for a long time now, and for a guy who has no trouble behind a mic, it’s there for him any time.

He grew up around the rink, is the single highest paid player, and has no trouble saying what needs to be done, when it suits him, regarding what’s needed by the team.

If he needs to present excuses for himself, the mic is wide open

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 04-29-2021 at 12:28 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:19 AM   #16
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing above changes the fact that he should be moved. Really hoping for a good return.

He’s part of the rotten core.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:56 AM   #17
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What makes this even harder to take is how good Brady looks right now. Like a bona fide franchise changing player. Gordie Howe hat trick tonight.

But sure cue up Matthew’s stats in the early years v Brady.
Brady has 34 points I think you might be over selling it just a tad...besides how is his brother even relevant...its not like the Flames passed on one for the other
Old 04-29-2021, 01:27 AM   #18
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Nothing above changes the fact that he should be moved. Really hoping for a good return.

He’s part of the rotten core.
Silly statement, I only say "silly" because I could get banned for saying what I really want to.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:07 AM   #19
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to keep Tkachuk. I'm not "apologizing" for his play. But fact is, NHL players have down years and clearly this is one of Tkachuk's. Pretty much every season he was trending upwards so I'm not quite ready to ship him out because he (like everyone else) has had a bad season.

Literally the only way I want to ship him out is if it's:

a) a massive overpayment that immediately makes the team better.
b) if Sutter has clearly identified him as part of the "rot" and he needs to go
c) he says he won't sign long term

This time last year he was being talked about the future captain. I still think he can be. But whatever situation arose from the infamous puck flip/tone-'er-down talk need to be resolved before next season starts, that's for sure.

There's plenty of players I want to ship out for underperforming and as acts of revenge for sucking when it matters most every season. But Tkachuk isn't on that list for me quite yet and deserves a chance to bounce back.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:46 AM   #20
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Silly statement, I only say "silly" because I could get banned for saying what I really want to.
About the core or the statement?
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: