Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #61
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not looking forward to the Samoa game. Hopefully the weather stays away from Fukuoka because the pitch is going to cut up as is. Add wet weather and this pitch is just screaming for injuries. Not to mention it being an equalizer.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1182549916339470336

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #62
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Edit: Supposedly the Italy vs NZ game could have been delayed 24 hours but NZ refused due to having less rest before the QF. The Italians have every right to be pissed. Also Scotland is threatening legal action if their game is cancelled. Oh and I can’t help but thinking the England France cancellation is very convenient giving both teams two weeks rest. What a mess.
Think the rules are clear. Game can be relocated but not delayed. Precedent had already been set with England/France.

Looks like Haggis will be well gone and petering out by the time gametime comes around. But who knows what will be left behind. Game at 1145 BST on Sunday.

I'm hearing the Italians are celebrating their best ever result against the ABS.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #63
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Rugby should be played in Domes.

Done.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #64
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Rugby should be played in Domes.

Done.
Negative.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #65
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Domes are susceptible to typhoon damage.
Rethink.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #66
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TMO and how the game is being called are ruining the game.

If WR want to get rid of head contacts they need to make it illegal to dip going into the tackle.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #67
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotland Japan to go ahead.

This can only help Scotland imo. They must feel as if they are getting a second chance having to live with the thought of going home over the last couple of days.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #68
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Scotland Japan to go ahead.

This can only help Scotland imo. They must feel as if they are getting a second chance having to live with the thought of going home over the last couple of days.
Canada/Namibia was cancelled though. Probably for the best as we didn't need to give Namibia their first ever RWC victory!

I don't know if the Scots can beat Japan?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #69
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a shame too because regardless for both teams they put in a lot of sacrifice to get here. Not a nice way to finish a tournament.

I think Scotland is more than capable of beating Japan but not sure if they can get four tries or beat them by eight or more to qualify.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #70
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada finishes last in their group. Also two straight cups without a win. Not great.

Japan Scotland should be great! A win for the Scots may not be enough. With bonus points they either need to win by more than 7 or score 4 tries.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #71
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ As an outsider to the ins and outs of Canada Rugby, losses or not, they made it to the WC, which is an accomplishment in the world hierarchy, and bodes well for future rugby players in this country to know that Canada isn’t a laughing stock.

Just need our national soccer association to take a page from this and stop making weak excuses for its program and its very likely 40 year drought into making it into the world tournament.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:26 AM   #72
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
^ As an outsider to the ins and outs of Canada Rugby, losses or not, they made it to the WC, which is an accomplishment in the world hierarchy, and bodes well for future rugby players in this country to know that Canada isn’t a laughing stock.

Just need our national soccer association to take a page from this and stop making weak excuses for its program and its very likely 40 year drought into making it into the world tournament.
I'm sure someone like undercoverbrother or Slava can elaborate on this much better than I can, but Rugby Canada is hardly a model that should be emulated right now.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #73
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a half from Japan! Scotland is halfway out the door.

Yeah the Canadian program is a disaster. 8 years ago Canada played Japan to a draw at the Cup. Now Japan is on their way to the quarters while Canada was the worst team in the tournament.

I am really worried Canada will have trouble qualifying in the future with the US improving and the emergence of Uruguay. This year they were the last team to qualify and got lucky with Romania and Spain being disqualified. It's going to be even tougher in 4 years.

There was some good news though. The Canadian players have been seen helping out with the Typhoon damage. Well done guys!
Old 10-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #74
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
It’s not much of an accomplishment when you go from being the runaway favourite for the America’s 2 Qualifying spot and need to qualify as the 5th ranked team from the Americas us in a convoluted repechage system where you are with the likes of Germany and Hong Kong and Kenya.

Canada has regressed significantly in the past 8 years, with a significant drop in the past 4 (they did lose to Romania four years ago but had some strong performances and should have beaten Italy). This year not scoring a point against Namibia highlights the fall pretty good.

The program is in shambles right now, nothing really encouraging coming out of the men’s side.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #75
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
It’s not much of an accomplishment when you go from being the runaway favourite for the America’s 2 Qualifying spot and need to qualify as the 5th ranked team from the Americas us in a convoluted repechage system where you are with the likes of Germany and Hong Kong and Kenya.

Canada has regressed significantly in the past 8 years, with a significant drop in the past 4 (they did lose to Romania four years ago but had some strong performances and should have beaten Italy). This year not scoring a point against Namibia highlights the fall pretty good.

The program is in shambles right now, nothing really encouraging coming out of the men’s side.
Not sure if serious about the bolded?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #76
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Not sure if serious about the bolded?
I’m taking it as the most merciful scoreline Canada could have been given at this rate. I know they’re not rescheduling it but I don’t actually know if it officially goes in as a 0-0 game or what.

Last edited by Roughneck; 10-13-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #77
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I was actually looking forward to Canada vs Namibia. I thought it would be close, maybe a 27-23 loss.

Scotland is making a comeback only training by 7 now. This is a classic. Also the officiating has been the best I've seen this tournament. Hopefully this is the standard in the finals.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #78
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Japan!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #79
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a huge win for Japan and South Africa will be interesting. Of course Japan knocked them off before, and they are in really good form right now.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #80
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our team has been terrible on the pitch and I'm not super happy with Rugby Canada. That said, they're a good group of guys and after the game was cancelled they instead went to help with the typhoon clean-up!