Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #961
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, maybe this isn't the right place, but I have a VPN client set up on my home router. Everything works fine - I can use Netflix on my iPhone, computer, everything. However on my AppleTV, Netflix throws an error about not working over a VPN. Any idea what the deal is? Is there something inherently different about how the AppleTV works than other iOS devices? Everything else on the AppleTV seems to work, but Netflix on this device doesn't want to be going through a VPN even though its set up on my router.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #962
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, maybe this isn't the right place, but I have a VPN client set up on my home router. Everything works fine - I can use Netflix on my iPhone, computer, everything. However on my AppleTV, Netflix throws an error about not working over a VPN. Any idea what the deal is? Is there something inherently different about how the AppleTV works than other iOS devices? Everything else on the AppleTV seems to work, but Netflix on this device doesn't want to be going through a VPN even though its set up on my router.
Did you enter any custom DNS servers into the Apple TV at some point? Does the Apple TV show that it is using your router for DNS?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #963
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Did you enter any custom DNS servers into the Apple TV at some point? Does the Apple TV show that it is using your router for DNS?

It's using my router's DNS, and I set the router's DNS to be the VPN providers. Weird thing, it occasionally does work, but most of the time when I try to watch something it will throw the error. iPhone and computer, like I said, are no problem. For all intents and purposes, the AppleTV doesn't complain at all about the VPN. It's just when it comes to acutally trying to play something in Netflix that it has this hiccup. I heard about IPv6 being problematic, but that is disabled on the router. Is there something in the AppleTV that tells Netflix I am using a VPN, even though its on my router?

The saving grace is that Airplay in iOS12 has been greatly enhanced. I can cast things to the AppleTV and still use the iPhone for normal use.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #964
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's using my router's DNS, and I set the router's DNS to be the VPN providers. Weird thing, it occasionally does work, but most of the time when I try to watch something it will throw the error. iPhone and computer, like I said, are no problem. For all intents and purposes, the AppleTV doesn't complain at all about the VPN. It's just when it comes to acutally trying to play something in Netflix that it has this hiccup. I heard about IPv6 being problematic, but that is disabled on the router. Is there something in the AppleTV that tells Netflix I am using a VPN, even though its on my router?

The saving grace is that Airplay in iOS12 has been greatly enhanced. I can cast things to the AppleTV and still use the iPhone for normal use.

That's not how it always worked? (says curious Android Chromecast user)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #965
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's not how it always worked? (says curious Android Chromecast user)

I don’t use it that often, but i remember it was more like screen mirroring, and if i turned off the phone screen it would stop. Maybe I was doing it incorrectly before.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #966
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschand View Post
Yay! Finally! 4k too!
I watched an episode of Jack Ryan tonight. The video quality is fantastic.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #967
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FYI, the 4k Firestick was announced on oct 3 for pre-order, expecting ship and delivery on oct 31. This has better processing power, more RAM, Alexa remote, and 4k 60fps streaming ability. About time, decent upgrade from those regular firesticks for your 4k sets!
https://www.amazon.ca/Stick-All-New-...=fire+tv+stick
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #968
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have an invite to a premium movie stream service like Flixify or something similiar? I had sit2play/gabado for a while but they went belly up
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #969
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What is everyone using for Hockey that has cut the cord?

Looking at adding Crave TV now that they have HBO content and dropping cable entirely.... but would miss Flames games.
Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #970
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
What is everyone using for Hockey that has cut the cord?

Looking at adding Crave TV now that they have HBO content and dropping cable entirely.... but would miss Flames games.
Last year I didn't have cable. At first I used sportnet now, but it was expensive, and ultimately a garbage service. After that, I sail the high seas, and streamed illegally. The picture quality, and dependability was superior to SN. That said, it websites were often unsavoury.

This year I am back on the cable.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #971
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Last year I didn't have cable. At first I used sportnet now, but it was expensive, and ultimately a garbage service. After that, I sail the high seas, and streamed illegally. The picture quality, and dependability was superior to SN. That said, it websites were often unsavoury.

Have watched games with some of the more unsavoury options and the quality and availability has always been fairly easy to navigate. I dont mind paying if the service is O.K. and i have heard nothing good about the paid hockey ones...

Which is strange because i have gotten subscriptions to stream world juniors before and it was fantastic.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #972
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Have watched games with some of the more unsavoury options and the quality and availability has always been fairly easy to navigate. I dont mind paying if the service is O.K. and i have heard nothing good about the paid hockey ones...

Which is strange because i have gotten subscriptions to stream world juniors before and it was fantastic.
In the condition that I used it, sportsnet now was awful. Not only was it very choppy at moments, but it often failed entirely to load the game I wanted to watch. I missed the first half of at least a dozen first periods trying to get the bloody thing to work before I cancelled my subscription. This wouldn't have been a problem, If a free option that worked better wasn't available.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #973
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm new to cutting the cord and was counting on a combo of CBC / and yo-ho-ho streams. Got tired of having to click through countless sketchy popups and with toddlers around that's not a long term solution.

Signed up for SNN and it's been pretty painless so far to watch the Flames. Not cheap at $20, but $20 is still less than $70 for cable so I'm still ahead.

And I can cut it when playoffs start and can rely on CBC OTA.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #974
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm new to cutting the cord and was counting on a combo of CBC / and yo-ho-ho streams. Got tired of having to click through countless sketchy popups and with toddlers around that's not a long term solution.

Signed up for SNN and it's been pretty painless so far to watch the Flames. Not cheap at $20, but $20 is still less than $70 for cable so I'm still ahead.

And I can cut it when playoffs start and can rely on CBC OTA.
Did you consider getting the 27$/month plan? Looks like you can avoid black outs that way? Also has playoffs.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #975
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh - I'm here to watch the Flames which are not blacked out. A few of my pool teams are American so I'll watch US teams play if nothing else is on. And I'm planning to drop SN during the playoffs as it'll be free on CBC OTA. Depends on who's in it...

Bottom line - if you watch the Flames primarily - the $20 package is more than enough.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-16-2018 at 10:15 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #976
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

IPTV. Can someone explain this to me please? I see references to it in this thread and looked online for services. Illegal or not? Which is the best IPTV service, there are literally hundreds.
Can I run IPTV on a ROKU or PLEX? Stream from Mobile?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #977
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming you're talking about those $10-15 a month for hundreds of channels IPTV services, yeah they're pirated streams. And they come and go all the time so if you do sign up, you probably don't want to pay for more than a month at a time because the company might not exist next month. Most of them can also suffer from buffering or uptime issues. But on the other hand you're getting hundreds of channels for $10 a month, so I guess that's to be expected.

As for Roku, I'm not aware of any way to do that other than to maybe cast from another device. An Amazon Fire stick is more suitable for IPTV.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #978
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
IPTV. Can someone explain this to me please? I see references to it in this thread and looked online for services. Illegal or not? Which is the best IPTV service, there are literally hundreds.
Can I run IPTV on a ROKU or PLEX? Stream from Mobile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Assuming you're talking about those $10-15 a month for hundreds of channels IPTV services, yeah they're pirated streams. And they come and go all the time so if you do sign up, you probably don't want to pay for more than a month at a time because the company might not exist next month. Most of them can also suffer from buffering or uptime issues. But on the other hand you're getting hundreds of channels for $10 a month, so I guess that's to be expected.

As for Roku, I'm not aware of any way to do that other than to maybe cast from another device. An Amazon Fire stick is more suitable for IPTV.
I looked into IPTV and decided it wasn't necessary or worth the hassle. I can download any show I want to see, and I use Reddit for sports.

/r/nhlstreams
/r/nflstreams
/r/(insert sport here-streams)
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #979
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How has this setup worked for you? I've been debating getting a plex pass, I already use this a ton for movies so I'm familiar with and like the program, and then using a similar setup to what you just described. I'm in the same boat that the wife has to be able to use this with ease and not too much trouble shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My Shaw 2 yr 150 deal is up next month and I realized it's crept up to $134 a month for a whole bunch of channels I don't watch. I also realized most of the dwindling number of shows my wife and I do watch are available on the Big 3 Canadian networks.

So with that I'm going to try and cut the cord seeing as how I have the most expensive parts of it all already (a NAS running Plex, a PlexPass, and an unused Amazon Fire TV unit). Wife acceptance factor has to be high on this so I'm counting on Plex to be easy to use...

Ordered today:

- HD Homerun Extend (thought I'd go big right from the start on this vs having to upgrade if I watch more LiveTV than expected)

- Mohu 30 Antenna

According to TVfool I'm 7 miles away so hopefully the antenna will work. I'll put the antenna in a 2nd floor west facing window leading to the HDHomerun and will plug in to the household ethernet network from that room. Plex should act as a PVR and I upgunned the HDHomerun to hopefully have enough juice for LiveTV transcoding.

Will report back how this works. Fingers crossed - would love to ditch the $50/month fee for "TV". Hopeing to get the bill down to $90 a month for 150 speeds.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 AM   #980
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

All the hassle is really not worth saving a few bucks when it comes to sports and cord cutting...quality/reliability is just not there despite what some say.

For a Flames fan the most basic cable setup plus SN is the way to go..."cut the cord" everywhere else. (tv shows, movies, ect.)

You can even only cancel your service for the summer