Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #6241
bax
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The idea was to look at it from a Flyers perspective. Cap is about 2M apart, so yeah, it not a hammered out plan. Considering that the Flyers keep being brought up, it might be a good idea to look at what they would actually do.

Frost would be the Flames best prospect not named Valimaki, and the only top line prospect. Apologies to Dube. Radcliffe bottom six prospect and 1st in a deep draft. Philly would insist on salary going back, and not give up Giroux or Couturier.

Of course Backlund isn't a cap dump. That's why they would want him.

A Flyers fan would say they are giving up a lot.
So the Flyers upgrade Voracek into Gaudreau and add a second line center at the cost of Frost, Ratcliffe, and a first?

I don't see any reason for Calgary to entertain that offer. Voracek carries an 8.25 cap hit for four season after this one. He is still capable today, but that will turn into an anchor soon.

Frost is a great prospect, but he isn't a sure thing. Could be a first liner, could be a third liner.

Ratcliffe is okay, but nothing special. The Flames have prospects just as good or better.

And a first, while nice doesn't move the needle enough for me to want to trade away our franchise player. Honestly, if that's the best you can do then hold on to Gaudreau until the last year of his deal. Even then if he says he won't re-sign you should be able to pull in a great prospect, an okay prospect, and a first.

Gaudreau has 204 points in his last 191 games. That's better than every single player in the league over that span save for 11 players. It's better than Pastrnak, Panarin, Wheeler, Tavares, Malkin, Huberdeau, Kessel, Rantanen, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Marner, Seguin, Kopitar. The list goes on.

I can't understand why anyone would want to trade him for a package like that, let alone include Backlund as well.

The "can't win with a player like Gaudreau as your best player" argument seems so off base to me. Continue to add great players around him in provide better support. You don't have to trade him. Morgan Frost sure isn't the answer to put this team in a better position to win.

Last edited by bax; 12-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #6242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The idea was to look at it from a Flyers perspective. Cap is about 2M apart, so yeah, it not a hammered out plan. Considering that the Flyers keep being brought up, it might be a good idea to look at what they would actually do...
Let's be clear here: The ONLY reason the Flyers continue to be brought up is because Gaudreau grew up and lives nearby in the offseason.

I am still mystified about why some seem convinced that this the only—or even the best trade option for the Flames if they want to move Gaudreau.

Again, he remains under team control for one more year after this one. Gaudreau's five-team NTC does not kick in until July 2021, up to which point the Flames are free to trade him to whichever team they so desire. I anticipate that in an eventual bidding war for a player of his calibre, and with term remaining on a good-value contract that Gaudreau would more than likely get moved to a different team unless the Flyers were prepared to pay a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #6243
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts are on bringing Brodie back. I've come around on the idea of an extension.

I think if the Flames sign Brodie to a deal, term should be the biggest consideration. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a 3- or 4-year deal at a higher salary, like $5.5ish million, than a 6-year deal, even if it is cheaper.

Signing Brodie and letting Hamonic, Frolik, Talbot, etc walk opens up plenty of cap space to extend Andersson to a long-term deal (the longer, the better in this case -- I'd even be ok with seeing the franchise's first 8-year deal) and would also likely allow the Flames to sign a mid-tier UFA to a reasonable deal.
I want Brodie back but I’d probably only offer him the Jake Gardiner deal. Flames are weak on that right side.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #6244
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Let's be clear here: The ONLY reason the Flyers continue to be brought up is because Gaudreau grew up and lives nearby in the offseason.

I am still mystified about why some seem convinced that this the only—or even the best trade option for the Flames if they want to move Gaudreau.

Again, he remains under team control for one more year after this one. Gaudreau's five-team NTC does not kick in until July 2021, up to which point the Flames are free to trade him to whichever team they so desire. I anticipate that in an eventual bidding war for a player of his calibre, and with term remaining on a good-value contract that Gaudreau would more than likely get moved to a different team unless the Flyers were prepared to pay a premium.
Right, if you think you must trade him to improve the team or to retain value, you get the best deal possible. Now, maybe Philly pays more because they figure they can re-sign. But that's just a consideration.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #6245
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you trade Johnny to the Rangers for Zibenejad?

Would the Rangers do it?

Who adds, or is it pretty even straight up?

Both 26, both with 2 more years left on what are bargain deals in todays NHL.

Gaudreau with a longer history of better production but Zibs is a right shot two way C who has improved his offensive production lately.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #6246
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I think the Rangers would have interest in an American star with the nickname of “Johnny Hockey”, and they have some great young assets too.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #6247
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The idea was to look at it from a Flyers perspective.
There's your mistake. This is the Trade Speculation and Rumors thread. Any trade proposal that actually has a chance of being agreeable to the other team is a non-starter around here.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #6248
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Would the Rangers do it?

Gaudreau with a longer history of better production but Zibs is a right shot two way C who has improved his offensive production lately.
Rangers would need to add, but Zibanejad has a full NMC - so I think that right there kills that idea.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #6249
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
All of these quality picks spent on low-end players.
Spending future assets on marginal improvements in depth players is the strategy of an impatient franchise that's not very good at drafting and development.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #6250
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Voracek would be a good add if we were to move on with Gaudreau. He too is a playmaker, has size, and can feed Monahan or Lindholm as his center. The Flyers would need to retain on Voracek by 9% so that Johnny + Voracek retention and Calgary taking on Voracek is around the same.

Tkachuk - Monahan/Lindholm - X
X - Lindholm/Monahan - Voracek

We would also need more in the Voracek deal. Johnny is a better player.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #6251
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Would the Rangers do it?

The Rangers are in the same boat as Calgary, not having enough quality centers. If they trade Zibanejad, they'd want Monahan back in return.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #6252
Monahammer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would personally do Johnny+ jankowski+frolik(cap) for voracek and frost
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #6253
442scotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That’s real bad lol
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #6254
442scotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Voracek is over the hill already
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #6255
David Struch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon57 Eklund:

Eklund on Gaudreau
Quote:
Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...
https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...zz--1/1/102960
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #6256
Robo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is no way his value is at it lowest everyone around the league knows what he can do
Robo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #6257
bax
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Why do we even post Eklund stuff? It's been known for years he just spews out nothingness
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #6258
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Gostisbehere makes little sense anyway. What is Calgary going to do with yet another LHD? Even if Brodie plays the right side, Calgary already has Giordano, Hanifin, Kylington, and Valimaki...
Old 12-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #6259
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Doesn't Eklund have Philly connections though?
Not saying this has any legitimacy because GROSS.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #6260
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Doesn't Eklund have Philly connections though?
Not saying this has any legitimacy because GROSS.

Whatever connections he may have once had are probably long gone by now.

He’s about as useful and reliable for actual discussion as your average HFBoards trade proposal.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote