Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #6161
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Honka has a ton of skill and if the Flames decide to look at him as an asset for next season they'd have plenty of room for him, particularly if Hamonic and Stone walk in free agency. RHD for the future = huge need for this team.

Going forward:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki/Kylington - Honka

As long as it doesn't cost more than a third-round pick, I think taking a flier on Honka would be more than worthwhile. Don't pull a Lazar and sacrifice a 2nd, though.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 AM   #6162
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Is Julius Honka somewhat worth a gamble? Let him finish out the season in Finland. Give he and Lerby a look-see next season? The Flames always need more defensemen in the system.

If he joins the Flames, would that make him a...

...Hunka Honka Burning Love...?

#YEAAAAHHHHHHH
#SUNGLASSES
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 01:07 AM   #6163
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Mark Stone was traded for a former 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick, so I suspect a 1st, 2nd and former 2nd who is playing in the NHL would be at least a competitive offer for Hall.

Now if someone offered Adam Larsson straight up for Hall all bets would be off.
Bransstrom was a top 10-15 prospect on almost everybody's ranking

In the defense tier of prospects at the time only behind guys like hughes and makar

Way more valuable than just a 1st from a team trying to make the playoffs
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:49 AM   #6164
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is Julius Honka somewhat worth a gamble? Let him finish out the season in Finland. Give he and Lerby a look-see next season? The Flames always need more defensemen in the system.
Thank you for attempting to restore sanity on this forum and get away from the pipe dream talk of Taylor Hall.

Yes, if the cost isn’t high, why not. Would like to keep our picks so if can be done without an overpay, sure. There hasn’t been a bidding war but not sure Nill wants to trade him within the conference esp to a team we could be fighting with for a wild card spot.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #6165
Mattman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Thank you for attempting to restore sanity on this forum and get away from the pipe dream talk of Taylor Hall.

Yes, if the cost isn’t high, why not. Would like to keep our picks so if can be done without an overpay, sure. There hasn’t been a bidding war but not sure Nill wants to trade him within the conference esp to a team we could be fighting with for a wild card spot.
I could see that being the case where conference rivals would not want to trade with each other, but Honka is a gamble to make it and not really an impact player.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #6166
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was all for an 'all chips in" move last year, where the entire team seemed to be having a career year, goals were easy, our aging captain was winning a Norris. Felt like one of those "special" years. Had the team overpaid, and disappointed in the long run, i would have been less critical as who could blame them.

This year, however, every player has basically gone cold. Our top offensive duo looks completely lost, our Norris winner looks highly average, depth scoring has been hit or miss.

Unless something changes it seems like a strange year to go all in.

Unless they can find a magic deal for a top6 C, which seems impossible midyear, i hope they just stand pat till the deadline. At that point i assume they will be in 1 of 2 spots: 1) Monahan/Gaudreau find their game, back to challenging for the division, 2) they continue their current trend of trying to squeeze out 1-0 type games as much as possible, and are on the WC bubble till the end.

The deadline decision gets crystal clear at that point.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #6167
Monahammer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I was all for an 'all chips in" move last year, where the entire team seemed to be having a career year, goals were easy, our aging captain was winning a Norris. Felt like one of those "special" years. Had the team overpaid, and disappointed in the long run, i would have been less critical as who could blame them.

This year, however, every player has basically gone cold. Our top offensive duo looks completely lost, our Norris winner looks highly average, depth scoring has been hit or miss.

Unless something changes it seems like a strange year to go all in.

Unless they can find a magic deal for a top6 C, which seems impossible midyear, i hope they just stand pat till the deadline. At that point i assume they will be in 1 of 2 spots: 1) Monahan/Gaudreau find their game, back to challenging for the division, 2) they continue their current trend of trying to squeeze out 1-0 type games as much as possible, and are on the WC bubble till the end.

The deadline decision gets crystal clear at that point.
Never say never. This is the day Joe Thornton was traded to the sharks. Imo it would be like if Eichel got traded.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #6168
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

With Brian Dumoulin sidelined for two months, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jim Rutherford pushing to acquire Honka.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #6169
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

nevermind.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 12-01-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Phony tweet
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #6170
---Hatrick---
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Isn’t that that fake devils account?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #6171
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That's a fake account.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #6172
David Struch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon57 Could the Devils and Flames come together on a Taylor Hall trade?

Quote:
Larry Brooks of the New York Post: With New Jersey Devils at the bottom of the standings, who does GM Ray Shero consider moving on from first, head coach John Hynes for pending unrestricted free agent winger Taylor Hall?

If the Calgary Flames knew they would be able to extend Hall, would they consider trading Johnny Gaudreau for Hall?

Would the Devils consider it or would they prefer a future type deal – first-round pick, prospect, etc.?
Quote:
Kadri was “very close” to becoming a Flame

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet: Nazem Kadri said that he had been really close to waiving his no-trade clause for a trade to the Calgary Flames back in June. Kadri had been given permission by the Toronto Maple Leafs to speak both Brad Treliving and Bill Peters.

“It was actually very close,” said Kadri. “They put a good pitch together. I know a few guys, I train with a couple of those guys in the off-season. Even though they were on the no-trade list, it was very tempting from a hockey standpoint. Had a good team.”
https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rum...es/2019/11/29/
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #6173
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

That site is trash frankly.

I mean look at the end of the article:
"The Flames may have been hoping to have Kadri enter Matthew Tkachuk"

Oh ok.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #6174
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

A good lawyer could have the charges reduced to following too closely.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #6175
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is definitely some smoke around Hall and the Flames but I am sure many teams are circling. LeBrun just posted an article on the athletic mentioning the teams he can see going after Hall. The Avs, Flames, Bruins, Oilers, Habs, Sharks make the list.

LeBrun is the best insider when it comes to the Flames it seems. The deal that I think makes sense to me would be Bennett, Kylington, unprotected 1st for a signed Hall. Flames get a huge upgrade to their top 6 and lock him up long term. The Devils get 2 NHL now assets in Bennett and Kylington both 23 as well as an unprotected 1st which right now is 14th overall but teams have games in hand.

Flames bank that they become contenders with the deal. The Devils hope Bennett benefits from a change of scenery. Kylington fills a need and the first helps with their rebuild. Other pieces that could be in the mix for me would be Jankowski, Mangipane or Dube.

I also wonder how much Hall likes Ward who was in NJ when Hall won the Hart

Last edited by Vinny01; 12-01-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #6176
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There is definitely some smoke around Hall and the Flames but I am sure many teams are circling. LeBrun just posted an article on the athletic mentioning the teams he can see going after Hall. The Avs, Flames, Bruins, Oilers, Habs, Sharks make the list.

LeBrun is the best insider when it comes to the Flames it seems. The deal that I think makes sense to me would be Bennett, Kylington, unprotected 1st for a signed Hall. Flames get a huge upgrade to their top 6 and lock him up long term. The Devils get 2 NHL now assets in Bennett and Kylington both 23 as well as an unprotected 1st which right now is 14th overall but teams have games in hand.

Flames bank that they become contenders with the deal. The Devils hope Bennett benefits from a change of scenery. Kylington fills a need and the first helps with their rebuild. Other pieces that could be in the mix for me would be Jankowski, Mangipane or Dube.
Based on what Stone brought back we're probably talking about Bennett, Valimaki, and a 1st or 2nd rounder for Hall.

Don't think that's the kind of trade the Flames should be making. Having three 1st line left wings makes no sense for a team with a group of centres and right wingers as weak as Calgary's.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #6177
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Based on what Stone brought back we're probably talking about Bennett, Valimaki, and a 1st or 2nd rounder for Hall.

Don't think that's the kind of trade the Flames should be making. Having three 1st line left wings makes no sense for a team with a group of centres and right wingers as weak as Calgary's.
That is more than Stone returned significantly imo so I disagree. Bennett >>Lindberg, Valimaki=Brannstrom, Flames 1st/2nd > Vegas 2nd

Replace Bennett with Jankowski or replace Valimaki with Kylington imo.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #6178
1qqaaz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was fully on the Stone train, and I think he would've made a lot more sense than Hall in practically every way.
No thanks to Hall under any circumstances except maybe as a UFA on a reasonable deal.

Flames need a RW or a center.

I also don't think the Flames should acquire any good defensemen, because they'd likely have to be exposed.

At least Rittich seems fine in net.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #6179
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington + 1st + 2nd works from a value perspective, although cap work would need to be done for this season.

I don’t quite get the negativity around Hall, and I think stories like how impactful Ryan O’Reilly was last year should show people not to judge too much on perceived personality stuff, or being on losing teams.

Even if we don’t add another centre (which, if we’re investing in Hall, I think we’ll also be investing in another middle-six centre), how do you not look at this top six as beyond formidable:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Backlund - Tkachuk

It changes a lot for the team. They want to key in on Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm on the road? Okay, well, here comes Backlund with Tkachuk and Hall on the flanks. With Lucic-Ryan-Dube becoming a very strong team, we’d only have to worry about sorting out the Mangiapane-Jankowski-Bennett line, and if we do grab another centre - then good grief, I’d view our roster as one without any holes.

An extension with Hall would have to be part of the deal, and it’s a non-issue assuming it shows up in that $9M range. As an organization that has never really acquired a top talent during a contending window, and I’m including Jokinen in that, Hall would be a huge thing for our team. To get, and extend a top end talent? We’ve never been able to do it before. I’d love for Hall to come home to a team he loves and a city he’d be choosing to live in.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-01-2019 at 09:41 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #6180
David Struch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Having three 1st line left wings makes no sense for a team with a group of centres and right wingers as weak as Calgary's.
Agree, unless the plan is to have one of 'em play 1st line RW (johnny could)

Tkachuk - Monahan - Gaudreau
Hall - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dubé - Backlund - Ryan

Last edited by David Struch; 12-02-2019 at 09:15 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote