Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #5261
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems we are scouting Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on Nick Bjugstat? Think hed be a good addition. Size, RHS, can center, can wing, not the greatest fit in Pittsburgh it seems. And the Pens are looking to shake things up. Could be a low/low trade like Frolik for Bjugstadt. Fro would be a good fit.for them maybe.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-05-2019 at 12:18 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #5262
SeanCharles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Seems we are scouting Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on Nick Bjugstat? Think hed be a good addition. Size, RHS, can center, can wing, not the greatest fit in Pittsburgh it seems. And the Pens are looking to shake things up. Could be a low/low trade like Frolik for Bjugstadt. Fro would be a good fit.for them maybe.
Bjugstadt and Coyle are 2 players I think could have some upside here being big RH shot C/RWers.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #5263
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Janko, Frolik and Gilles have little to no trade value, no matter how hard you dangle them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jankowski and Frolik definitely have value.
Gillies less so.

"Media" // Managing Editor @ FlamesNation // Flames contributor at Sporting News // Twitter
// Sometimes you can see me in the background of scrums on TV or hear me on the radio // PHWA member
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 AM   #5264
The Cobra
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Jankowski and Frolik definitely have value.
Gillies less so.

Frolik has a fairly large cap hit and is playing quite poorly.

The Flames are looking for a top 6 player, Frolik would simply be a cap dump in any trade.

The Flames would need to give up some real value to obtain such a player.

They won’t fill a huge need giving up players many posters want to dump.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #5265
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Frolik has a fairly large cap hit and is playing quite poorly.

The Flames are looking for a top 6 player, Frolik would simply be a cap dump in any trade.

The Flames would need to give up some real value to obtain such a player.

They won’t fill a huge need giving up players many posters want to dump.

FWIW I thought Frolik was really good against Washington. But his linemates couldn't help out at all.
GioforPM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #5266
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you want to acquire a Frolik, thinking that a change of scenery will reassemble two years ago Frolik from the ashes of now Frolik, well, you need yourself a Frolik to offer in trade.

Probably goin' to cost ya a Frolik.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #5267
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If you want to acquire a Frolik, thinking that a change of scenery will reassemble two years ago Frolik from the ashes of now Frolik, well, you need yourself a Frolik to offer in trade.

Probably goin' to cost ya a Frolik.
I have read this five times and I have no idea what is going on here.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #5268
Saqe
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bjugstad doesn't seem to be more than a 3C at this point and I don't think he's worth his contract. He lives off the hype he got a few years back but his injuries stalled his development and if anything he regressed.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #5269
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep thinking there's a deal with the Wings that's possible. They have potential cap space due to the Zetterberg LTIR. They have three really good wingers (all of whom can play RW) that are pending RFAs (with arb). They have a few overpriced aging forwards that they probably can't get rid of. They are super thin on D and they are about to have to deal with a 35 year old UFA starting goalie in Howard, with a less than stellar backup in Bernier.

So if they'd have their druthers they'd keep all of Anathasiou, Bertuzzi and Mantha, but can they? They also need a young D or two to develop with their young forwards - they have some but they are not up to Calgary's standards, and they could also use a guy like Hamonic, or a guy like Brodie. They might also be interested in one of Calgary's goalie prospects - theirs (at least the AHL ones) aren't too good.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #5270
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I must have missed something, but why all the talk of Hamonic being on his way out? I thought it was a given he'd be keen to sign an extension. No?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5271
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I must have missed something, but why all the talk of Hamonic being on his way out? I thought it was a given he'd be keen to sign an extension. No?

Dreger reported last week that Hamonic's camp is unwilling to discuss an extension during the regular season.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #5272
genetic_phreek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Dreger reported last week that Hamonic's camp is unwilling to discuss an extension during the regular season.
Hamonic has also been hot garbage this season.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #5273
ignite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Me not that smrt at hockey GM'ing, although I like the idea of it.

If the team is still on the bubble in January, I like the idea of stock piling draft picks. Sell off the usual suspects.
Seems to be a young man's game.
Maybe bring in a less expensive veteran D-man ( >30 ) in the off-season.
ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #5274
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The first line has been holding Lindholm hostage in order to line up with the top lines from other teams. The top two pairings on this team should be Gaudreau-Monahan and Lindholm-Tkachuk, but that leaves our top two complementary wingers as Mangiapane and Bennett.

This team just needs a right wing better than Mangiapane or Bennett, and all will be fine in the world. It is beyond frustrating that no attempt has been made to acquire one. I'd be happy with any combination of either an established top 6 guy (Ehlers/Kapanen) or just some bullets in the chamber (McLeod/Fischer).

Guys to dangle are Hamonic/Jankowski/Frolik/Gilles which should be more than enough to get something done. Honestly, we don't even have to outright "win" the trade(s), because the positional need is so dire.
He has tried. We have had Jagr, Brouwer and Neal. So far no one has worked and two of those have bit the Flames in the ass. Its harder to get one with chemistry than we think apparently. We need a legit young on the upswing RW. If we could clone Lindholm as someone else mentioned that would be perfect or reverse time and get a young Iginla.

Last edited by Psytic; 11-05-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #5275
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite View Post
Me not that smrt at hockey GM'ing, although I like the idea of it.

If the team is still on the bubble in January, I like the idea of stock piling draft picks. Sell off the usual suspects.
Seems to be a young man's game.
Maybe bring in a less expensive veteran D-man ( >30 ) in the off-season.
If the team is still in a bubble position, then I agree - especially because it wouldn't be giving up on the season, it would just be relying more heavily on some of the youth.

Look at 2015. In the thick of a playoff race, we dealt away Glencross and Baertschi (gaining two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick).

Trade:

TJ Brodie (late 1st round pick, or a 2nd +)
Travis Hamonic (late 1st round pick, or a 2nd +)
Michael Frolik (3rd round pick?)

and then push Kylington, Andersson, Mangiapane and Dube into more important roles for the remainder of the season - that could be huge for the team going forward, both from an asset and development perspective.

...as a season ticket holder though, I still want to spend futures on acquiring Taylor Hall and signing him long term.

Either path would be cool to see.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #5276
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
You have to give to get. He's IMO a desired commodity around the league as a good defensive d-man with a RH stick, on a good, albeit expiring contract.

Previously I thought Brodie would be easier to move and also that Hamonic's skill set was less prevalent among the 4 young defencemen. But I'm starting to think Andersson's skill set is close to what Hamonic brings (in a positive way). He's physical enough, shoots right, can make a good first pass, and is defensively responsible like Hamonic. Also stands up for teammates, though not as many fights. I wouldn't mind seeing a Hanifin-Andersson tryout.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #5277
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If the team is still in a bubble position, then I agree - especially because it wouldn't be giving up on the season, it would just be relying more heavily on some of the youth.

Look at 2015. In the thick of a playoff race, we dealt away Glencross and Baertschi (gaining two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick).

Trade:

and then push Kylington, Andersson, Mangiapane and Dube into more important roles for the remainder of the season - that could be huge for the team going forward, both from an asset and development perspective.

...as a season ticket holder though, I still want to spend futures on acquiring Taylor Hall and signing him long term.

Flames weren’t expected to win back in 2015. I’d be shocked if any of the UFAs were traded for futures, without futures going out in another deal.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #5278
The Cobra
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Trade:

There is a world of difference trading Brodie and Haronic than it was trading Glencross and Sven.

The first one would be definitely punting the season.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #5279
Corral
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You have to give to get. He's IMO a desired commodity around the league as a good defensive d-man with a RH stick, on a good, albeit expiring contract.

Previously I thought Brodie would be easier to move and also that Hamonic's skill set was less prevalent among the 4 young defencemen. But I'm starting to think Andersson's skill set is close to what Hamonic brings (in a positive way). He's physical enough, shoots right, can make a good first pass, and is defensively responsible like Hamonic. Also stands up for teammates, though not as many fights. I wouldn't mind seeing a Hanifin-Andersson tryout.

Well said. Except the 'give' to get what the Flames need in the top 6 will be Andersson not Hamonic. Cliff Fletcher had to give up Brett Hull to get the Flames into championship contention back in the late 1980s. Its no different today for Brad Treliving, and it may be his defining move as a GM.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #5280
Corral
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Trade:

Why? Aside from one season of his career, Taylor Hall has been on a losing team. Teams that lose badly. Fine if he wants to sign here as a UFA - but i wouldn't trade any futures for him.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote