Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #4261
AC
Resident Videologist
 
AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Hall would be amazing obviously, but then really forces the Tkachuk playing RW possibility. I'm sure he can do it, he loves to fly down the right wing as it is (think his top corner snipes vs CHI and VGS last year, plus all those between the legs moves).
__________________
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #4262
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Yes, the Flames could use one more top 6 player (which team couldn't?).

But what does Drouin bring? Elite offense, but one-dimensional, and a flat line on the give a crap meter.

What do the Flames need? They were 2nd overall in offense last year. But they were pushed around at times, and they faded when the going got tougher.

The Flames don't need another small, soft, offensive player that will disappear when things get tougher. They need to improve their compete level. That doesn't mean a face puncher, it means someone that competes, and plays better when things get more intense.

The perfect player to add to this roster is a tough, fast, talented RW that competes hard every night. Yes, the perfect player to add to the current Flames roster?: Jarome Iginla

Gaudreau - Monahan - Iginla
Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Dube - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Ryan - Lucic

That lineup wins at least 60 games.

Oh, the ironing
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #4263
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Obviously, an RW of the Iginla talent level isn't going to happen. But who is reasonably acquirable that competes and could fill that role?

I keep coming back to Toffoli
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #4264
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

I'm a little surprised Vanek didn't catch on anywhere. He's aging but he's still a hell of a creative guy on offense. How Edmonton couldn't make something work with this guy is beyond me.
__________________
Be better.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #4265
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Obviously, an RW of the Iginla talent level isn't going to happen. But who is reasonably acquirable that competes and could fill that role?

I keep coming back to Toffoli
He is certainly one guy for sure.

Justin Williams in the unlikely chance he would come for a year would be awesome IMO.

Andrew Shaw is another guy.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #4266
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm a little surprised Vanek didn't catch on anywhere. He's aging but he's still a hell of a creative guy on offense. How Edmonton couldn't make something work with this guy is beyond me.
Itís what they do
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #4267
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm a little surprised Vanek didn't catch on anywhere. He's aging but he's still a hell of a creative guy on offense. How Edmonton couldn't make something work with this guy is beyond me.
Vanek is Drouin with less talent and less give-a-crap. And he's 35.

No longer good enough for the top 6, and a disaster in the bottom 6.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #4268
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is certainly one guy for sure.

Justin Williams in the unlikely chance he would come for a year would be awesome IMO.

Andrew Shaw is another guy.
I just don't see Williams playing in the NW. Too much travel and too much cold.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #4269
The Cobra
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Oh, the ironing
Yes, with well pressed clothes, this would be a good looking team.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #4270
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I agree. Hall should be a target for Calgary. Makes sense all around.
I'm still sticking with this plan:

1. Sign Taylor Hall
2. Trade Gaudreau for lucrative package
3. Profit
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #4271
Zulu29
#1 Goaltender
 
Zulu29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kelowna
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'm still sticking with this plan:

1. Sign Taylor Hall
2. Trade Gaudreau for lucrative package
3. Profit
Yeah thatís not a bad plan. I really hate thinking of trading Johnny, but I do worry about his ability to maintain his play when he needs to be re-signed. Trading him for a big package is probably the smart route.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #4272
Fire
Franchise Player
 
Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'm still sticking with this plan:

1. Sign Taylor Hall
2. Trade Gaudreau for lucrative package
3. Profit
Hall's Cap hit will be over $10 million next season. Not sure the Flames will have the cap space or will want to spend it on Hall.
__________________

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #4273
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Teams with Taylor Hall as their best player haven't done too well and 7 years at $10 to $12 million would be a tough pill to swallow. He'd obviously have a very different supporting cast here but unless you're just trading Gaudreau for picks or prospects, you'd have to clear out some salary. Lots of players to re-sign next year and everyone will be due a raise.

I would be a lot more interested if he was a center who played both ends of the ice.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #4274
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Teams with Taylor Hall as their best player haven't done too well and 7 years at $10 to $12 million would be a tough pill to swallow...
The same thing was said about Ovechkin for nearly a decade, and that was within a respectable core group of players. Hall has never had anyone to play with. I think the biggest concern would be injuries, but this is the sort of deal that needs to be made in order to 1) upgrade the roster, and 2) extend the competitive window.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #4275
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

if panarin signed for 11.6, hall's number probably starts with a 12.

I dont think thats workable or even desirable, to be quite honest.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
How does the number of playoff games the Bruins won *this last season* have anything to do with their number of draft picks in the last three calendar years?
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #4276
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
if panarin signed for 11.6, hall's number probably starts with a 12.

I dont think thats workable or even desirable, to be quite honest.


Unless he wants to prioritize winning, which I think seems likely at this stage.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #4277
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Unless he wants to prioritize winning, which I think seems likely at this stage.
Tavares took less money to play in Toronto than what san jose was offering and he still signed for 11 million.

Panarin took less money than what Columbus was offering and still makes 11.6

Taylor Hall signing for a discount to win (in calgary? lol) is still an 11 million dollar player.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
How does the number of playoff games the Bruins won *this last season* have anything to do with their number of draft picks in the last three calendar years?
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #4278
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Tavares took less money to play in Toronto than what san jose was offering and he still signed for 11 million.



Panarin took less money than what Columbus was offering and still makes 11.6



Taylor Hall signing for a discount to win (in calgary? lol) is still an 11 million dollar player.


Are you seriously laughing off the prospect of winning in Calgary?

Artemi chose New York because he wanted to play in New York.

Tavares signed for 7 years at 11M as a centre.

If youíre looking for a better comparison, look at Mark Stone. 8 years, $9M AAV in Vegas. Thatís the closest comparison if we were to acquire him prior to July 1.

Matt Duchene as a comparison also isnít far off.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #4279
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
...Taylor Hall signing for a discount to win (in calgary? lol) is still an 11 million dollar player.
Signing on to win with one of the top teams in the Western Conference? Preposterous!
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #4280
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The same thing was said about Ovechkin for nearly a decade, and that was within a respectable core group of players. Hall has never had anyone to play with. I think the biggest concern would be injuries, but this is the sort of deal that needs to be made in order to 1) upgrade the roster, and 2) extend the competitive window.
Yes but Ovechkin is perhaps the greatest goal scorer in NHL history and his teams were winning President's Trophies and making the playoffs every year. Hall has 5 playoff games. The players aren't very comparable and my point is Hall isn't worth blowing your brains out in free agency unless you aspire to be the Minnesota Wild.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016