Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #3641
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think instead of cutting nurses they should cut from the blue building on Southport. That office is full and I guarantee that most people in there are making 100k+ doing bureaucratic jobs. Cut that building to the bones and spare front line staff.
I think that is part of the plan. It looks like AP and Payroll are targets of some of the government cuts along with the general services union which looks to be everything from admins to power engineers.

Based on the letters to the unions it appears they are looking in lots of places.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #3642
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Hey I get the argument for balancing the debt. But one would think that prudent management of the province's finances would not involve blowing a 4.7B hole in the budget and then complaining how broke you are. But what do I know?
Keeping Alberta's largest companies in Alberta might just be prudent financial management. Also the $4.7 billion number is massively over dramatized. It's under a billion a year in actual cash and having more competitive corporate tax rates might help keep some of Canada's largest companies and their high paying jobs from moving to the US such as Enbridge, TC energy and others.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #3643
AFireInside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Keeping Alberta's largest companies in Alberta might just be prudent financial management. Also the $4.7 billion number is massively over dramatized. It's under a billion a year in actual cash and having more competitive corporate tax rates might help keep some of Canada's largest companies and their high paying jobs from moving to the US such as Enbridge, TC energy and others.
Yup. Worked for Husky.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #3644
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Well I just put an offer in on a house in Calgary so hopefully we don't become a dystopian wasteland.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #3645
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Not really, if you are moving for tax rates the latest US changes at the federal level have made us non competitive. I don’t see any reason to be any lower then a 1/2 point lower then next lowest province.

Texas is 1% and US Federal is 21%.

Even after Kenny’s cuts we are only down to 23%.

Besides TC and Enbridge are leaving because their core businesses aren’t in Canada anymore.

Last edited by GGG; 12-03-2019 at 12:07 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #3646
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Not really, if you are moving for tax rates the latest US changes at the federal level have made us non competitive. I don’t see any reason to be any lower then a 1/2 point lower then next lowest province.

Texas is 1% and US Federal is 21%.

Even after Kenny’s cuts we are only down to 23%.

Besides TC and Enbridge are leaving because their core businesses aren’t in Canada anymore.
Lots of big companies stay where they are from even when it's only a small part of their core business (Michelin is still in France, etc). The difference for the EnCanas and Transcanadas of the world is that the capital markets perceive Canada as hostile to energy. When TransCanada can't build pipelines in Canada (energy east) nobody should be surprised when they take Canada out of their name and maybe take themselves out of Canada.

I agree that it probably doesn't make sense to chase the US corporate tax rates down, but I do think being the lowest in Canada provides a competitive advantage. But ultimately taxes are only one part of being hospitable to business, and they aren't necessarily the most important (lots of big companies in high tax California).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #3647
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

To show just how incompetent and short sighted the government is, they have told school boards they could use their maintenance budget to pay for teachers. No way this is going to come back to bite anybody, right? Surly they don't need that maintenance money. This is the government's plan.

These are the "logical" decisions they are making. Cut funding, defer spending on maintenance, reduce deficit. That's their math. They are morons.

Quote:
Alberta's education minister has informed the province's school boards that they can apply for one-time access to funding earmarked for maintenance to support classroom and school-based staffing costs.

This decision comes less than a month after the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) cut 300 temporary teacher contracts after its provincial funding was reduced by $32 million...

...But Sarah Hoffman, education critic for the Official Opposition, said the move speaks volumes.
"It seems like an admission that the government has absolutely brought in a budget that's resulting in significant staff reductions," she said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...381232?cmp=rss
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #3648
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Lots of big companies stay where they are from even when it's only a small part of their core business (Michelin is still in France, etc). The difference for the EnCanas and Transcanadas of the world is that the capital markets perceive Canada as hostile to energy. When TransCanada can't build pipelines in Canada (energy east) nobody should be surprised when they take Canada out of their name and maybe take themselves out of Canada.

I agree that it probably doesn't make sense to chase the US corporate tax rates down, but I do think being the lowest in Canada provides a competitive advantage. But ultimately taxes are only one part of being hospitable to business, and they aren't necessarily the most important (lots of big companies in high tax California).
I think this is something that gets overlooked quite a bit. Taxes are obviously important but so are a variety of other things like office space affordability and access to talent. I also understand cuts happening but with the province pulling from X-games, and non-committing to green line; YYC debating to take funding away from the arena or OCIF (i think both failed), creates unnecessary doubts.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #3649
Dynamic
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
To show just how incompetent and short sighted the government is, they have told school boards they could use their maintenance budget to pay for teachers. No way this is going to come back to bite anybody, right? Surly they don't need that maintenance money. This is the government's plan.

These are the "logical" decisions they are making. Cut funding, defer spending on maintenance, reduce deficit. That's their math. They are morons.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...381232?cmp=rss
The UPC have done lots questionable things in their short tenure but if you need proof of how incompetent and short sighted they really are this is exhibit A. I work in industrial maintenance and I'm no stranger to maintenance budgets being slashed. I face palmed so hard when I read they are actually allowing operations to raid the maintenance budget.

Deferring maintenance is exactly that......kicking the can down the road for someone else to deal with. Add in the added "bonus" that is almost ALWAYS more expensive to deal with the negative impacts of deferred maintenance instead of dealing with it in a timely manner. Keep it up UPC you short sighted fools.

Last edited by Dynamic; 12-03-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Grammer
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dynamic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #3650
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not surprising from right-wing politics in the last few years around the world, but an interesting read. Can probably expect more of this in future provincial elections, not just Alberta.

Federal probe finds 'co-ordinated' social media bots in Alberta election

EDMONTON — A federal agency investigating the recent Alberta election has found evidence the campaign featured tactics including co-ordinated, false social media postings.

In a report released late Friday, the Rapid Response Mechanism — created by the G-7 to monitor foreign influence on democratic elections — identified social media accounts that demonstrated “co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour.”

The agency was created by the G7 at the 2018 conference in Charleboix, Que. It is intended to strengthen co-ordination between members in identifying, preventing and responding to threats to G7 democracies from foreign actors using social media to meddle in elections.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #3651
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not surprising from right-wing politics in the last few years around the world, but an interesting read. Can probably expect more of this in future provincial elections, not just Alberta.

Federal probe finds 'co-ordinated' social media bots in Alberta election

EDMONTON — A federal agency investigating the recent Alberta election has found evidence the campaign featured tactics including co-ordinated, false social media postings.

In a report released late Friday, the Rapid Response Mechanism — created by the G-7 to monitor foreign influence on democratic elections — identified social media accounts that demonstrated “co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour.”

The agency was created by the G7 at the 2018 conference in Charleboix, Que. It is intended to strengthen co-ordination between members in identifying, preventing and responding to threats to G7 democracies from foreign actors using social media to meddle in elections.
The UCP with the Trump-style campaigning? Color me shocked.

What an absolutely terrible party.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #3652
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I think this is something that gets overlooked quite a bit. Taxes are obviously important but so are a variety of other things like office space affordability and access to talent. I also understand cuts happening but with the province pulling from X-games, and non-committing to green line; YYC debating to take funding away from the arena or OCIF (i think both failed), creates unnecessary doubts.
Yeah. Although if I'm picking between funding for front line teachers/nurses and paying for the X-games I pick the health care/education budget every time. With lower royalties I'm not sure we can afford all the nice to haves.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #3653
Robo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If this gets bad enough can kenney be removed or are we stuck with him I didnt vote conservative but you would have to think Brian Jean would have been 20 times better would he get in?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #3654
Johnny Makarov
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If this gets bad enough can kenney be removed or are we stuck with him I didnt vote conservative but you would have to think Brian Jean would have been 20 times better would he get in?
Probably not.

The only way to get Reform Party Kenney out next election is if the NDP rename themselves and try to recruit over the non-deplorable MLAs from the Wildrose(UCP) party.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #3655
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now "public" school boards in Alberta are not allowed to have the word public in their names? What fresh hell is this? This is insidious - they are trying to dismantle public education, bit by bit.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #3656
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ok CP- Fess up- How many of you told the UCP your utilities were too low and to scrap the Electricity cap?

"Energy Minister Sonya Savage said the UCP decided to scrap it after "overwhelming" feedback from consumers and industry stakeholders "

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/ucp-scra...onth-1.4711822
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #3657
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Ok CP- Fess up- How many of you told the UCP your utilities were too low and to scrap the Electricity cap?

"Energy Minister Sonya Savage said the UCP decided to scrap it after "overwhelming" feedback from consumers and industry stakeholders "

How does this action benefit regular Albertans in any logical, conceivable way?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #3658
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

It doesn't, and I bet Savage has very dubious sources at best for that assertion.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #3659
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
How does this action benefit regular Albertans in any logical, conceivable way?
It only benefitted some Edmontonians, it's just scrapping a subsidy.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #3660
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post

'Industry stakeholders are consumers, too.'
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote