Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #3601
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
The voucher system is what is happening in the US with charter schools. They aren’t looking elsewhere, they’re looking south.
What are the drawbacks of a voucher System?

Provided the school isn’t allowed to charge additional fees why does it matter if the government pays the Calgary Public Board or a different company to educate my child to the provincial curriculum?

Where I stingless disagree is the top up system the UCP is putting in where a private school can charge additional fees and get the full government per capita funding as that leads to a segregation of students by income.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #3602
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Provided the school isn’t allowed to charge additional fees why does it matter if the government pays the Calgary Public Board or a different company to educate my child to the provincial curriculum?

Where I stingless disagree is the top up system the UCP is putting in where a private school can charge additional fees and get the full government per capita funding as that leads to a segregation of students by income.
The concern is that private schools can choose who to take. So they refuse any children with "issues." Those children are forced to attend the public schools. Then no one wants their child to go there because test scores are lower, etc, so it continues. Private schools get all the "good" students and public schools get all the others who need more help.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #3603
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The concern is that private schools can choose who to take. So they refuse any children with "issues." Those children are forced to attend the public schools. Then no one wants their child to go there because test scores are lower, etc, so it continues. Private schools get all the "good" students and public schools get all the others who need more help.
I have news for you. That has already been happening for years with Calgary charter schools like FFCA. They made my son take a mass classroom math test, and only took kids above a certain test score.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #3604
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the UPC had campaigned on this platform with an "alberta revenue agency", a "alberta pension fund" etc whether he would have had nearly the support he did receive.

outside of the nutjobs most people would find these pretty dubious, onerous, ponderous and ultimately an effort to use a dog whistle on the disenfranchised.

similar to the crap you see with Trump, but i guess its not surprising considering the source
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #3605
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I have news for you. That has already been happening for years with Calgary charter schools like FFCA. They made my son take a mass classroom math test, and only took kids above a certain test score.
Yes... which is why people are likely concerned about it happening more.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #3606
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...neral-assembly

Quote:
As United Conservative Party members packed a hotel during a party convention on Sunday in Calgary, over 1,000 demonstrators suffered the cold outside to protest recent measures taken by Jason Kenney’s government to undercut core public services like education and health care.

Meanwhile, inside the hotel, Calgary MLA Mickey Amery said convention-goers were aware of the protesters and taking their concerns seriously.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #3607
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG

It's effectively set up as a way to bring public money to private religious schooling. Yes non-religious private schools also get money, but more private is better than public in their mind so it's more of collateral benefit.

The curriculum might be the same, but the methods certainly don't have to be. Take the public money but keep the public out and try to cloud people's perception of which is which (hence the inexplicable decision of taking 'Public' out of the school names as well).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #3608
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the annual windfall of energy royalties gone, Alberta can no longer afford the lowest tax rates in the country and the highest per capita spending on public services.

If we want to close the dramatic gap that opened between government revenues and government spending, taxes will have to go up and government spending will have to come down. We'll all have to pay higher taxes. We'll all have to endure job cuts and salary rollbacks in the public sector. Alberta will have to become more like the rest of Canada in its taxation and spending levels.

The problem is we have one party that will only raise taxes and one party that only cut spending.

But maybe that's the way we've moved as society - one group of politically active people who will oppose any raise in taxes, and another group that opposes any reduction in public service jobs or compensation. Maybe there simply isn't a constituency of voters who will tolerate some of both.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #3609
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think there are a lot of voters who would choose that if there was a party not named Liberals that represented that choice.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #3610
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I think there are a lot of voters who would choose that if there was a party not named Liberals that represented that choice.
The biggest question seems to be whether the key players will act pragmatically and attempt to 'Unite the Centre-Left' (AP, Liberals, and yes, the Alberta NDP are fairly centrist on the broader political landscape).

Red and orange just aren't going to work here anymore, and the AP's different shade of blue clearly didn't, either.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #3611
Poster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It’s called the Alberta Party. Why didn’t they get any seats?
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #3612
Poster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

All these people complaining about cuts are the same people that voted UCP! What did everyone think right wing policies looked like other than “we heart pipelines” and “we hate Trudeau”!
Old 12-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #3613
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
I hope they will next time around, but a lot of people won't vote for a party they don't believe has a chance to win. They need to find a way to get some momentum going and get to the tipping point where people start to view them as a legitimate option.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #3614
Poster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I hope they will next time around, but a lot of people won't vote for a party they don't believe has a chance to win. They need to find a way to get some momentum going and get to the tipping point where people start to view them as a legitimate option.

I think Albertan’s are so set in their dogma that they vote UCP for the same reason Stockholm Syndrome exists. They just don’t know anything else.

I know so many teachers who voted UCP simply because “pipelines”, “Trudeau”, “everyone else says to” and now they are mad about the UCP!

No one wanted to educate themselves on what today’s right wing looks like so here we are.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #3615
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know so many teachers who voted UCP simply because “pipelines”, “Trudeau”, “everyone else says to” and now they are mad about the UCP!

No one wanted to educate themselves on what today’s right wing looks like so here we are.
Conservatives cut public spending. That isn't new and it shouldn't be a shocker. One of the most successful politicians this province has seen built his reputation as a leader on making dramatic cut to public spending - much more severe cuts than those implemented by the Kenney government so far.

I suppose that was before a lot of voters today were adults. But it's not as though the 90s are ancient history.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #3616
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Are there any government jobs where employees get a bonus? Honest question. I've never heard of that.

Your post is a good reminder to some that government jobs aren't always great.

The president of HR (or "people" as AHS likes to call it), received $68K in bonus money last year. That's just one example. The sunshine list has a good breakdown of salaries and bonus amount of income. The regular plebs like me left holding the stick when everything gets whittled down, no we do not get bonuses.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #3617
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They had my vote until they announced some policies that were no goes for me.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #3618
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
Will be interesting to see how they plan on privatizing EMS and saving money

No, it won't be. As a Paramedic who has constantly been in transition from government to government, never feeling at all like we are in a position of being "wanted" and burdensome, its really ####ty. I also had the experience of living through the old austerity measures, my mother was laid off as a nurse a couple times. We are already stretched super thin, we are ears deep in overtime, in poor work life balance, in mental health crisis. We don't have resources to respond to calls RIGHT NOW, so they come from other towns outside and those towns then are left without care. People are waiting an unreasonable amount of time for emergent care they require when having an emergency. People HAVE DIED as a result of this. Outcomes HAVE BEEN REDUCED as a result of this. Those poorer outcomes require longer care, longer recovery and more resources, which all costs money. There are countless efficiencies IN PRACTICE that can be found within prehospital medical care, such as appropriate patient transport decisions, avoiding needless moving of patients (the air ambulance program is extremely guilty of flying people around who do not require it), alternate destination use, and integrating 811/health and medical advice into dispatch services that could avoid resource usage altogether. Shuffling EMS to a private provider "because they'll do more with less" is not possible. The only thing that will happen, is people will wait longer for ambulances. ALL people, from heart attacks, anaphylactic reactions, shortness of breath, abdominal pains, choking, etc. We are currently doing more calls than we have resources to cover, its not like we have people sitting around in stations doing nothing all day being redundant, so reducing staff or ambulances is just not appropriate without any of the aforementioned ways to reduce the volume to begin with. Also keep in mind, EMS, Police, Fire, we are all also in the "just in case" line of business, we should have staffing levels to accommodate fluctuations, disasters, mass casualty events, etc. Thats just simply public safety, and people seem completely content to throw that out the window entirely. Our call volume isn't constant, it ebbs and flows at random. I believe the other morning I was paying attention to event numbers (they're sequential) on the screen, and we had nearly 300 events in about 6-8hrs. This is covered by about 40 ambulances, but keep in mind a very large number of them are already on events, or tied up in a hallway at a hospital (sometimes 50-60% at a time). Its unsustainable, its dangerous, and foolhardy to think that paying a private company who is then REVENUE and PROFIT driven could do so for less without it costing all of us in ways we would rather not pay. Its disgusting how some of you think

I wanted to add an end note to this. I do alot of calls, I take most of them to heart, we bend over backwards to ensure we prop this system up. It kills me to have to respond across the city to be confronted with the fact that people are angry it took so long, or they had to call back to see where we were, and have to explain this over and over and over again. Or when I think of what the change in outcome could have been had I just been there a little bit earlier. Many of these angry people are the same ones, just like some in this thread who are lighting torches and shaking pitchforks demanding we "feel the pain" and get cut. Its all good until its you, or until its me. I feel plenty of pain, many of us are empaths, so let us help you by supporting us. You supporting us means I can be there for you, its a small price to pay for when time maybe isn't an option.

This goes for all of the frontline health care staff, by the way.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #3619
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
The president of HR (or "people" as AHS likes to call it), received $68K in bonus money last year. That's just one example. The sunshine list has a good breakdown of salaries and bonus amount of income. The regular plebs like me left holding the stick when everything gets whittled down, no we do not get bonuses.
That's a pretty small bonus for an executive role compared to the Private sector tbh.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #3620
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because they were infested with former PCs who then ejected the only good leader they ever had and proceeded to elect an out of touch dinosaur as the replacement.

Nah, that's not really the reason. It's because Albertans don't give a #### about centrist parties, and they certainly aren't going to vote for anyone who runs on a platform of raising taxes, and anyone who claims differently is fooling themselves.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post: