Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #3461
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Oh, of course. It's just politics as usual for both parties, but it's also the kind of behaviour - again, on both sides - that fosters so much cynicism in the political process.
Well yeah, I've pretty much given up on expecting anything better at this point.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #3462
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1199763545103032321
Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #3463
Robo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Stop their lies and get back to work the irony is killing me
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #3464
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:

“Alberta’s election agency stops disclosing names of people, organizations fined for violating law”

I don’t know what concerns me more - that violations of election rules will no longer be publicized, or that they only started being publicized when Gibson was hired. Elections have to be 100% above board and anything that undermines that should be public.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ons-following/
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #3465
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Whats with this guy? Every tweet I see from him is loaded with hyperbolic wording.

What is the over under of this guy or Rachel going full lefty and calling Jason Kenney “basically a nazi”

3 months tops?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:57 PM   #3466
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I love how some folks here are quiet as mice until the NDP has egg on their face, while the UCP is ####ting a dinosaur omelette every damn day
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 01:57 AM   #3467
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I love how some folks here are quiet as mice until the NDP has egg on their face, while the UCP is ####ting a dinosaur omelette every damn day
Does this mean i'm no longer in your good graces
Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #3468
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You have to admit it's kind of embarrassing the NDP to accuse the UCP of something that the NDP did when they were in power. A) It shows a lack of doing even the most basic of homework. B) They kind of hung themselves by bringing to light they spent $35k+ in liquor expenses. I wasn't even going to post as I have been quiet but I'm only posting because of your post. If the UCP are dinosaurs what does that make the NDP when they put egg on their face no good reason outside of their own incompetence?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-28-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #3469
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
“Alberta’s election agency stops disclosing names of people, organizations fined for violating law”

I don’t know what concerns me more - that violations of election rules will no longer be publicized, or that they only started being publicized when Gibson was hired. Elections have to be 100% above board and anything that undermines that should be public.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ons-following/
One thing to note here is this isn’t the conservatives dictating silence. This is an old bad policy that the independent commissioner did not choose to follow.

Hopefully elections Alberta review of their policy will start to make these things public.

Quote:
Elections Alberta spokeswoman Pamela Renwick said the chief electoral officer’s policy of withholding the identities of fine recipients had been in place for years before Mr. Gibson was hired and was based on legal advice.

“We realize that the disclosure from the former election commissioner provided different information, so we will be reviewing our disclosure practices in the future to have a consistent practice," Ms. Renwick wrote in an e-mail.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #3470
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Does this mean i'm no longer in your good graces
No I still love you .. for now
Old 11-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #3471
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better question...why are my tax dollars going towards getting politicians drunk?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #3472
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Better question...why are my tax dollars going towards getting politicians drunk?
There was a part of the Persian empire that debated major laws both sober and drunk, and passed them only if they came to the same conclusion in both states.

Given how ridiculous our politics is getting, this might actually be the way to go...

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #3473
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There was a part of the Persian empire that debated major laws both sober and drunk, and passed them only if they came to the same conclusion in both states.

Given how ridiculous our politics is getting, this might actually be the way to go...
It would almost certainly be an improvement. The discussions and debates would be more rational for sure.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #3474
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It would almost certainly be an improvement. The discussions and debates would be more rational for sure.
I would immediately start a political party if there was free booze. We wouldn't get much done and we would all end up divorced, but just imagine the grottos that could be built for "debate hour".

I'm actually surprisingly OK with the idea if it was for tabled real.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #3475
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It was bought to be resold at the Royal Alberta Museum.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #3476
AFireInside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Whats with this guy? Every tweet I see from him is loaded with hyperbolic wording.

What is the over under of this guy or Rachel going full lefty and calling Jason Kenney “basically a nazi”

3 months tops?
If this is what you're focusing on you're really missing the big picture. This was a nothing issue from the start that no one cared about.

**This next part isn't really directed at you Old Dutch and not necessarily at anyone on this forum in particular. More just what I've experienced through conversations etc.

It's really tough for me to wrap my head around why anyone would point at this as an issue, with the garbage the UCP have pulled.

I don't care who anyone voted for if you're ignoring the actions of the UCP party because they are your team, you're the problem.

I notice a ton of people that were freaking out about unethical, corrupt Trudeau and those same people are accepting or ignoring what's occurring in this province.

If the NDP pulled half of the shenanigans the UCP have pulled so far this province would have imploded.

Last edited by AFireInside; 11-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #3477
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

G+M: What Jason Kenney and Albertans can learn from Texas

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rn-from-texas/

Quote:
But if he wanted to bring back something of value, the Premier should have returned with a renewed commitment to supporting economic diversification in Alberta. After all, it’s the one area where Alberta and Texas have taken very different paths.
Quote:
How did Texas manage to pull off this feat? By making the most of the advantages it already had, ones that Alberta just happens to share. Both have the same favourable demographics, with more young workers and fewer elderly dependants than most places in North America. Both have well-educated labour pools that are a product of their strong post-secondary systems. Both have tax systems that attract investment and reward prosperity, and comparatively affordable commercial and residential real estate. And both have governments that are actively supporting efforts to attract new businesses and industries.
But, according to Travis Toews, diversification is luxury we can't afford.

The leadership in this province is so incredibly aggravating. UCP basically campaigned on being the party to bring back the corporate cocaine days of 2007 and 2013, and people bought it hook line and sinker because nostalgia. At least the NDP had the foresight to realize the benefits of diversification and try to move that way.

Last edited by Muta; 11-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #3478
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wasn't even going to post as I have been quiet but I'm only posting because of your post.
And why is that? I mean you were a very vocal critic of the previous government and you clearly still post often in other threads, should we take your absence here as silent approval of the UCP’s performance?

Quote:
If the UCP are dinosaurs what does that make the NDP when they put egg on their face no good reason outside of their own incompetence?
Call them incompetent or whatever you’d like, the real question is why you’re so quick to criticize them for making a false statement and taking ownership of that but you remain silent as the UCP continues to break election promises while they seem to blame everyone else for it? Bonus question: who’d you vote for last spring?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #3479
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Call them incompetent or whatever you’d like, the real question is why you’re so quick to criticize them for making a false statement and taking ownership of that but you remain silent as the UCP continues to break election promises while they seem to blame everyone else for it? Bonus question: who’d you vote for last spring?
That's where I laugh. The NDP made a false accusation about a liquor purchase. The UCP is literally firing the elections commissioner in the middle of an investigation, among a swath of other illogical, immoral and short-sighted decisions. Kinda obvious which parry right now has the bigger egg on their face.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #3480
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
G+M: What Jason Kenney and Albertans can learn from Texas

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rn-from-texas/
Here's a conversation Ryan Jespersen had with Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, a Canadian climate scientist based out of Texas. It has interesting parallels and content to this very topic. This was before the Fed election, and she ranks the federal parties' climate plans too (extra bonus)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1184538488991092737
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: