Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Alberta Politics & Government Thread

Since that train derailment of a thread was finally shut down, I thought I would start a new one. Lots and lots of changes coming in the next few months, thought they could be discussed here.

From todays National Post

Quote:
It may seem eccentric to stake the farm on a massive corporate tax cut even as populist politicians around the globe are taking aim at big business, but Kenney believed he had an ace up his sleeve: The party’s internal polling on the issue was absolutely off the charts.

“It was like, shocking,” Kenney said in an interview with the Post. “I was even shocked. It was like 70-30 in favour of this. There’s like 25 per cent of the population that wanted us to go deeper, wanted us to go to a 50-per-cent reduction in the business tax rate.”

Long before the writ dropped, and long before Kenney completed his years long journey from federal cabinet minister to Alberta PC leader to uniter of the province’s splintered political right to premier-designate, he entered the process of building a UCP platform ready to question some of his own conservative orthodoxy — especially on economic policy. But, in the party’s internal polls, Albertans seemed happy to support some old-school, supply-side measures conservatives believe are vital to bringing investment back to the province.

For all the attention paid to the pipeline file, the UCP is also focused on highly mobile companies, like tech and banking firms, that could move their headquarters without blinking an eye. A major firm that established a home base in Calgary or Edmonton, they reason, is within striking distance of the more expensive U.S. west coast and mountain states with a cheap, quick flight. It’s just three hours, for example, from Calgary to San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

The amount of work already put into the policy side has been prodigious. The UCP released a hundred-page campaign platform, a document that Kenney touted at every stop — “375 positive ideas for Alberta,” is how he described it. The platform will be a roadmap as the government embarks on a frenzied first session of the legislature, but it’s a mere pamphlet compared to the behind-the-scenes tome that is about double the size.
Fascinating read on the vision of the UCP in regards to the future.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...nces-divisions
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

This tweet from Don Braid had me wondering, were UCP and NDP talking to the same business groups

@DonBraid: Fascinating article on UCP economic planning. One oddity; Kenney says party polling showed 70% support for corporate tax cuts. During campaign, NDs told me their polling showed 80% against. https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...9-62e8a7542d0f
#ableg #yyc #yeg #abpoli #cdnpoli
Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I expect this to be one of the hardest working governments we have ever seen in Alberta. Kenney is just a political workhorse, and that will flow right through the government.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
This tweet from Don Braid had me wondering, were UCP and NDP talking to the same business groups

@DonBraid: Fascinating article on UCP economic planning. One oddity; Kenney says party polling showed 70% support for corporate tax cuts. During campaign, NDs told me their polling showed 80% against. https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...9-62e8a7542d0f
The NDP only ever asks government workers and teachers for opinion, as nobody else matters...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have more faith in Kenney to moderate their policy than I did for Trump or Ford. He has a ton of experience in politics and generally knows how to get things done, regardless of whether they're the right decision or not.

Part of me wishes he threw the rebel under the bus along with press progress, but that's really just the centrist in me talking.

His moderate response on Trudeau's pipeline delay was exactly what I was hoping for and I hope that is rewarded in June.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that previous thread was a damn trainwreck.

With the UCP in power, I'm curious to see if they can actually get this economy moving like they promise they will. I'm not a Kenney fan at all, but I don't hate the party and will give them the benefit of the doubt in this regard. I just hope there's a thorough plan for diversification into other industries in addition to their focus on O+G.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post

For both parties, it comes down to what they were asking, and who they were asking.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cutting the corporate tax rate on the surface sounds like bad policy, especially for the 'everyone richer than me's taxes have to go up to pay for my daycare/pharmacare/insert gov't service here' but few people think about what the rate means for how corporations think about locating their head offices. Head offices are more important for high paid employment than regional offices. Lawyers, accounts, finance, communications personnel are all high paying jobs that don't necessarily need to be located where assets are. It's important for a location to keep them when they have them and attract them if they can. Two things have happened during the NDP's time in power that make addressing this more dire and important now than in 2015, and even made the NDP's decision to hike them worse in retrospect:

1) The lack of pipeline approval disaster has all but pushed our two largest energy infrastructure companies to the US. Due to how bad governments have handled approving new pipelines in Canada they each made huge US acquisitions to position their strategies towards US growth and profit harvesting in Canada. Hiking tax rates on them makes it even easier for them to leave, cutting them might make the math more competitive as far as location of the head office is concerned. It still might be a done deal for one or both of them though seeing as how hostile the country is to their line of business.

2)Trump's tax reconfiguration last year now shifts the competitiveness from Canada's statutory rate towards the US. A lot of corporations are going to located in the US anyway because it's the world's largest economy, but if you combine that with more competitive rates than being in Canada and basically every company that doesn't have to be here will/should leave. Re-jigging our tax structure to be more competitive with the US might keep some existing Alberta companies here and it might attract other Canadian companies to move here as opposed to a further step out of the country completely. This was a big reason why companies like CP moved here from Montreal in the first place.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 04-22-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Former UCP hopeful Cyndy Morin, who sought the party’s nomination in Calgary-Fish Creek, has filed a defamation lawsuit against the NDP over allegations she took illegal corporate donations.

Morin is seeking $650,000 from the provincial party for herself and her law firm, saying an NDP news release from last Aug. 10 defamed her.

“After a string of UCP nomination controversies, Alberta’s NDP is asking the Election Commissioner of Alberta to investigate UCP nomination candidate Cyndy Morin . . . for accepting and promoting corporate donations to her campaign,” said the release, quoted in her lawsuit.

It went on to allege “Morin’s law firm promoted and contributed to her nomination campaign,” that the lawyer had “scheduled a second fundraiser with another business . . . where the business will give her campaign kickbacks for buying pizzas,” and “she is also referring volunteers who wish to campaign for her to contact her law firm.”

“The press release was untrue,” Morin’s lawsuit states.

It says the would-be candidate “did not accept any illegal campaign donations (and) . . . Morin did not promote any corporate donations to her campaign.”

It goes on to say her law firm was not involved in promoting or contributing to her nomination bid and “no businesses probed ‘kickbacks’ to Morin’s campaign.”

“The untrue statements in the press release were defamatory of Morin’s character and reputation,” it says.

The comments were particularly damaging as they alleged the plaintiff, a lawyer, had committed illegal acts, “thereby impugning Morin’s honesty, integrity, trustworthiness and character.”
https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...st-alberta-ndp
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think she will win it. Scummy politics should come at a cost.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think she will win it. Scummy politics should come at a cost.
I look forward to seeing the statement of defence.
let's see how they try and get out of this one.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NDP letter to Election Commissioner requests investigation of campaign finance law violations
CALGARY - After a string of UCP nomination controversies, Alberta’s NDP is asking the Election Commissioner of Alberta to investigate UCP nomination candidate Cyndy Morin, running in Calgary-Fish Creek, for accepting and promoting corporate donations to her campaign.
Since her campaign launch:
Ms. Morin’s law firm promoted and contributed to her nomination campaign fundraiser. [1]
She has scheduled a second fundraiser with another business next week, where the business will give her campaign kickbacks in exchange for buying pizzas. [2]
She is also referring volunteers who wish to campaign for her to contact her law firm. One of her employees also serves as Chief Financial Officer for her nomination. [3]
Alberta’s NDP is calling on Jason Kenney to cancel this upcoming fundraiser and tell all UCP nomination candidates to abide by the rules. Kenney should also explain to Albertans why his party can’t seem to follow the rules that every other political party follows.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/events/219730635315702/
[2] http://cyndymorinucp.ca/events/matad...iser-august-13
[3] https://www.facebook.com/cyndy.morin...60615444815366
Two links appear to have been broken.

But that first one, if it wasn't edited, it's hard to see where the NDP is coming from. There's nothing about it being for a campaign fundraiser or promoting her which you would expect. However, there's also no indication of what the "fundraiser" is for which is odd in itself.
Quote:
IT’s OFFICIAL! We have confirmed our “DUNK A LAWYER” fundraiser for this Sunday July 15, 2018 from 11-4pm!!!

Come share in the festivities, music, games, food AND best of all, take a shot at dunking one of our brave lawyers!!!

Please share the news with all of your friends, family, and strangers alike and tell them to stop by our Kid Friendly event right across from the Stampede Grounds in the Ribtor Parking lot located at 318 11 Ave SE, Calgary

We appreciate your support!!!
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wayback machine for the second one shows this:
Quote:
Matador Pizza Fundraiser - August 13

Purchase a Pizza from Matador’s on August 13th and $5.00 will be donated for every pizza sold!

http://web.archive.org/web/201810111...iser-august-13
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cenovus says it's 'crystal clear' Alberta production cuts are working

The company says the improvement in prices for western Canadian oil due to the Alberta government's curtailment program more than offset the impact of reduced production and increased operating costs during the first quarter.

“It should now be crystal clear that the government’s temporary curtailment program is doing what it was intended to do and has had an immediate, positive impact not only for our industry, but for all Albertans, in the form of improved royalty revenue,” said Cenovus President and Chief Executive Officer Alex Pourbaix in a statement.

He said that when oil price differentials reached record highs in the fourth quarter of 2018, Cenovus was in a royalty credit position of $29 million. During the last three months, Cenovus paid $191 million in royalties to Alberta.

"We only account for about 10 per cent of Alberta’s total oil production. This has been a big win for Alberta,” Pourbaix said.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1811...4211747597542/
Quote:
Thank you to all who came out and supported our “dunk a lawyer” fundraiser! And an extra special thanks to the lawyers from RESOLVE LEGAL GROUP who braved being dunked in the ice cold water! And to Batman for coming down all the way from Gotham City to join us!!!

It was a great day with fun had by all....well....except the lawyers!

And congrats to Larry Brunner who won a $150.00 gift card!!!!

Missed this event? We’ll be doing a “Dunk a Pilot” fundraiser in August out at Springbank Airport! And there will be airplane rides at that event!!! For all upcoming fundraising events check out our fundraising events calendar at www.cyndymorinucp.com
There's also this proving that the fundraiser promoted by RESOLVE LEGAL GROUP was indeed for her campaign. The letter appears to be pretty factual which protects them from defamation.

The crux of the argument would probably be the title used by the NDP's Facebook page "UCP Nomination Candidate Accepts Illegal Corporate Donations" in light of the Office of the Election Commission clearing her of wrong doing after the fact. However, one of the reasons she was cleared was because she did cancel the Matador Pizza event.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Opinion: Counting the spoons with the departing NDP

Quote:
James Boswell coined the expression “count the spoons” to verify what a morally untethered person has said or done. Ralph Waldo Emerson riffed this, suggesting the more someone brags about one’s virtue, the more it should be received with suspicion. The more success someone proclaims, for example, the more doubt sprouts.
Quote:
In her election night concession speech, Rachel Notley crowed about many things of which she was proud. Her long list of achievements set my head spinning. With disbelief.

She waxed like she won the election. But wait. How could Albertans retract more than half her seats and much of her party’s popular vote if her government singlehandedly “made tremendous progress” as she boasted?
Quote:
Albertans who disagree with Notley on social issues do not want a premier who persists in demonizing them, calling them dangerous extremists and bigots. She is not morally superior to them. Name-calling and public shaming will not change their views. Ever. She seized the bullhorn of public office to stoke fear and portray religious social conservatives as despicable, sub-human, knuckle-dragging monsters. This will not change their beliefs or silence them.

However strenuously she anathematizes, belittles, slanders and maligns them, social conservatives in Alberta also have a right to run in elections, to speak and to hold their deeply held convictions, as Notley does. ##They can keep their jobs and be political candidates even if their religion is not compatible with hers.
Quote:
Religiously devoted social conservatives see NDP policies as rather extreme and dangerous too. But they do not demand Notley’s exclusion. They are more tolerant than the NDP who claim to be inclusive.

NDP, spare us your practice of hunting down and denouncing Christians for their biblical beliefs you abhor. Spare us your censorious wrath.
Quote:
Notley said, “Today in Alberta, it doesn’t matter, and it should not matter, to whom you pray.” That is not what she believes. Only her God has the definitive voice on social issues. Albertans following other Gods or their own consciences are denigrated and scandalized. Going forward, we will need to count the spoons.

She promises now “to ensure the voices of all Albertans are heard in the legislature.” She has never represented my voice in the legislature. We need to count the spoons on that one too.

Otherwise, Notley “has fundamentally changed the politics of this province.” She has made it more divisive, more nasty and far more personal. She has unleashed more intolerance than she claims to loathe in others. She preaches inclusion but is the first to exclude. She turbo-charges identity division. The NDP’s personal condemnation of social conservatives for their religious convictions is her fundamental change of Alberta politics.

Is this change forever? That depends upon whether she honours her concession speech promises.

We are counting the spoons.

Peter Bowal is a professor of law at the University of Calgary.
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-departing-ndp
Old 04-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
Red Slinger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Dion.

Are you sharing that because you think it is a valid point or because you think it's ridiculous that a christian conservative lectures someone on tolerance, especially after the target of his scorn has been removed from power?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #18
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I assume it was satire
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #19
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This could be Kenney's NDP moment...

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/kenney-election-promise-could-spell-trouble-for-in-situ-oil-sites

Quote:
Federal Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi told Postmedia Tuesday his government had assured Rachel Notley that in-situ sites would not be subject to C-69 — and therefore federal regulations — as long as the NDP’s 100-megaton emissions cap was in place.
But Kenney’s pledge to nix the cap will change all that, making in-situ sites subject to federal review processes, rather than those of the Alberta Energy Regulator.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Thanks Dion.

Are you sharing that because you think it is a valid point or because you think it's ridiculous that a christian conservative lectures someone on tolerance, especially after the target of his scorn has been removed from power?
I think he has some valid points.

It raises the question of weather people with deeply religious views should be running for a seat in politics when it comes to social issues. You'd better have the politically correct beliefs or you're going to be demonised and belittled for what you believe. More to the point, you're a horrible person if you don't believe in my views.

Notley did make it divisive with her rigid stance on social issues. Kenney is against abortion and was continually attacked with Notley having you believe that Kenney would change abortion rights if he became Premier.