Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #1001
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
This isn't the case for the original or 3G iPhones. Only works for the 3GS. If you have an iPod Nano you can buy a receiver to attach to the Nano. There doesn't seem to be a way to use Nike+ with anything other than the Nano, Touch or iPhone 3GS.
I updated my post to reflect this. What's annoying is that the little receiver that you can plug into a nano (unnecessary on the touch or phone) won't work in the old iPod Touch or iPhone 3g. Very annoying.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #1002
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tired of converting your movies to .mp4 before putting it on your touch or iPhone? Run out of space on your device? Solve all your problems with "Air Video".

As long as you have an internet connection and leave your computer on at home with any, and I mean any video, you can watch it anywhere you want without converting formats. Check it out - best app I have. If you get the free version, it randomly lets you select from 3 or 4 files instead of accessing your whole collection so you may have to refresh a few times before getting the file you want. You can also access your friends servers and you can share libraries to watch from.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

You can also watch .MKV files straight up. Haha edited after FanIn80's thread lol.

Last edited by DrJ; 04-25-2010 at 09:12 PM.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #1003
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks DrJ. Just checked it out. Pretty amazing stuff.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #1004
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I set it up? There are no instructions.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #1005
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
How do I set it up? There are no instructions.
I have a Mac so I'm not sure how to do it for PC...

For Mac, install the app and install the "server client" off of the website.

Once installed, it should appear in the top right of your screen in the same bar as your time, battery, spotlight, etc.

Click on it and select "server preferences". Once there, go to shared folders and click "add disk folder". This folder should contain all your videos.

The "conversion" tab is there if you want to convert your videos for whatever reason. You would click "convert" on your Touch or iPhone and the files would appear here.

For "settings" make sure you start at login and also set a password.

For "remote" this is where you get your specific address in which to access your library. Enable access from the internet and it will pop out a specific Server PIN. Put that in your device and voila, you are set!

The only thing is that your comp must be on and connected to the internet in order to have your iPod access it. You also need internet or 3g with your iPod. Also, your PIN resets if you turn off your comp so you just need to plug in a new one if you restart.

Hope that made sense. I have a test tomorrow and that was a nice study break ! Good luck!
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #1006
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj View Post
You can also watch .MKV files straight up. Haha edited after FanIn80's thread lol.

Edit: Including some random text so that I can reply to a post with only a smiley... yet at the same time also not replying to the post with only a smiley, because I also have to include some random text. (PS: That "no all-caps reply" filter is seriously borked.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-25-2010 at 09:41 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #1007
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
I have a Mac so I'm not sure how to do it for PC...

For Mac, install the app and install the "server client" off of the website.

Once installed, it should appear in the top right of your screen in the same bar as your time, battery, spotlight, etc.

Click on it and select "server preferences". Once there, go to shared folders and click "add disk folder". This folder should contain all your videos.

The "conversion" tab is there if you want to convert your videos for whatever reason. You would click "convert" on your Touch or iPhone and the files would appear here.

For "settings" make sure you start at login and also set a password.

For "remote" this is where you get your specific address in which to access your library. Enable access from the internet and it will pop out a specific Server PIN. Put that in your device and voila, you are set!

The only thing is that your comp must be on and connected to the internet in order to have your iPod access it. You also need internet or 3g with your iPod. Also, your PIN resets if you turn off your comp so you just need to plug in a new one if you restart.

Hope that made sense. I have a test tomorrow and that was a nice study break ! Good luck!
I'm on a Mac as well, so thanks for the instructions. I'll set it up tomorrow! Good luck on the exam!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #1008
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Tired of converting your movies to .mp4 before putting it on your touch or iPhone? Run out of space on your device? Solve all your problems with "Air Video".

As long as you have an internet connection and leave your computer on at home with any, and I mean any video, you can watch it anywhere you want without converting formats. Check it out - best app I have. If you get the free version, it randomly lets you select from 3 or 4 files instead of accessing your whole collection so you may have to refresh a few times before getting the file you want. You can also access your friends servers and you can share libraries to watch from.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

That looks awesome. I tried Orb awhile back as a real-time transcoder and while it was pretty good it was also pretty flaky most of the time.

Have you tried using this to transcode 1080i/1080p videos? How much horsepower do you need for that?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #1009
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Have you tried using this to transcode 1080i/1080p videos? How much horsepower do you need for that?
I did a 1080p BD rip on the fly with Air Video and no choppy playback or anything. Quite amazing actually.

Now, I still can't seem to get it to work outside my wifi zone though. Forwarded the port and everything, but still having issues. If I can do that, then this will be a great piece of software.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #1010
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Two words for any Final Fantasy fans in the house...

Chaos Rings
Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #1011
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My wife is doing a 5k marathon in a few weeks....
No such thing. App sounds good though. Love this thread for the good ideas.
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #1012
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordestiny View Post
No such thing.
It's a hell of a lot more "marathon" than me running to my car in the morning.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #1013
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordestiny View Post
No such thing. App sounds good though. Love this thread for the good ideas.
Damn you word police! She's running a 5k.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #1014
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Caling a 5K a marathon downgrades the marathons I've run so, yeah, it's important to me.
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #1015
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Source: Dictionary.com
Quote:
mar·a·thon 
–noun
1.a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km 195 m).

2.any long-distance race.

3.any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon.
So depending on which definition you wish to take a 5k run can be a marathon.
Good for you for running more than 5k, but don't hype your accomplishments by downgrading others.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #1016
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Source: Dictionary.com
So depending on which definition you wish to take a 5k run can be a marathon.
Good for you for running more than 5k, but don't hype your accomplishments by downgrading others.
Dictonaries list the ways words are used, but doesn't say whether the usage is correct. In this case, there is a listed definition that is clearly incorrect.

A 5k is never a marathon, even though for many people, it might feel like one.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #1017
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using Sleep Cycle and not once has it awakened me prior to my alarm set time. Maybe it's because I often don't get enough sleep. Does anyone else find this app really useful or is it just the cool factor to see what your night looked like?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1018
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the name of the app that lets you send free texts?
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #1019
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
What's App?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #1020
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Message Now