Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Marijuana/CBD to help with Insomnia

Hey all - I know we have a general marijuana thread and an insomnia thread, but I was hoping to combine the two topics, so I created this thread.

My partner is going through a pretty bad bout of insomnia with little to no success with other options. She's run down, lost, and so extremely exhausted, both mentally and physically. She broke down this morning when I hugged her, which brought me to tears, and I feel like she's losing hope in this battle with sleep. She's now looking to try CBD oil or what not to help. I know there's been some people on here who have experience in this (I'm merely going by memory from reading past posts), and I was wondering if those of you who have experience with CBD/marijuana in trying to resolve your sleep difficulties might share your experience in here.

She'd prefer to go the CBD route to start. Are there any suggestions on which dispensaries in the city she should visit, what she should seek out, and that kind of thing. While we are not strangers to marijuana itself, we have little recent experience in this area and zero experience with CBD, and are seeking guidance.

If you prefer to PM me your experience and advice, please feel free. Thanks so much in advance.

Edit: I should add, we're in Calgary, so if you've had good experience with a particular dispensary here that was helpful, let me know.

Last edited by woob; 10-29-2020 at 12:45 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Symbl High CBD oil is great - 20mg/ml for a decent price. Just take a dropper half an hour before bed. Co Op Cannabis usually has it.

A Strong indica oil will knock her right out as well, but the thc oils seem to take longer to activate. Not sure why.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
daaznfob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey all - I know we have a general marijuana thread and an insomnia thread, but I was hoping to combine the two topics, so I created this thread.

My partner is going through a pretty bad bout of insomnia with little to no success with other options. She's run down, lost, and so extremely exhausted, both mentally and physically. She broke down this morning when I hugged her, which brought me to tears, and I feel like she's losing hope in this battle with sleep. She's now looking to try CBD oil or what not to help. I know there's been some people on here who have experience in this (I'm merely going by memory from reading past posts), and I was wondering if those of you who have experience with CBD/marijuana in trying to resolve your sleep difficulties might share your experience in here.

She'd prefer to go the CBD route to start. Are there any suggestions on which dispensaries in the city she should visit, what she should seek out, and that kind of thing. While we are not strangers to marijuana itself, we have little recent experience in this area and zero experience with CBD, and are seeking guidance.

If you prefer to PM me your experience and advice, please feel free. Thanks so much in advance.
I've been using cbd rso oil from a online website and it works great for my sleep. I take the oil and make cbd gummies and i take about 40mg before bed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
daaznfob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daaznfob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I would not recommend CBD alone for insomnia, as while it does have some health benefits that could contribute to a good night's sleep, it won't provide as direct benefits regarding insomnia as THC will. With a more severe condition like insomnia, a general health aid like CBD may just extend the problem. I'd attack it directly.

Look into strains that contain THC of between 10 and 20%, and include Limonene and/or Terpineol at the forefront. Don't shop based on indica vs sativa, as that alone isn't a worthwhile guide regarding what effects cannabis might have. Focus on the THC content and the terpenes. It would be wise to talk to a doctor about it, but the basic recommendation is to start low and go slow. If a minimal dose doesn't work the first night, increase it slowly.

Best of luck to your partner.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

After taking it for nearly a year at different dosages, I'm of the mind that CBD is a placebo at best for anxiety and insomnia.

YMMV but it's not worth the money, especially considering how ludicrously expensive scripped CBD is in Canada vs the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Has she tried Melatonin. I have had trouble with sleep my entire life. I started with Melatonin recently and it's been fantastic. It's literally a hormone that tells your body to sleep. I'd avoid taking too much or taking it for too long. The pills they sell are often 10mg each, but you only need around 2mg. Taking too much can have the opposite effect or leave you drowsy through the day.

I also only try to take when I feel that I absolutely have to, and I've had 2-3+ really bad sleeps in a row. I don't want to build up a tolerance or inhibit my body's ability to produce it naturally.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yeah if you melatonin dont go over even 1mg in my experience. It's powerful and will make you feel like garbage if you take too much.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #8
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also don't take melatonin in the afternoon - only take it at the time you normally want to fall asleep (evenings).

I also agree - go with THC if you want to have a good night's sleep.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't help with any marijuana/CBD knowledge, but when I had bad insomnia red wine would knock me right out.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also worth mentioning that the delivery oil (the oil they suspend the CBD in) may have an adverse affect on your stomach and limit the supplier options you have.

MCT (medium chain triglycerides) gave me the worst possible ####s you could imagine. Safflower oil was a lot easier on the stomach.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

She has tried melatonin (strips and pills) but I'll talk to her about doses of what she tried.

Thanks for all the responses and PMs on this so far. We truly appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Can't help with any marijuana/CBD knowledge, but when I had bad insomnia red wine would knock me right out.
I find alcohol horrible for my sleep. I fall asleep easily. However, if I have under 6 drinks, I will typically wake up 3-4 hours later, as soon as the effects where off and have no ability to fall back asleep. If I have 6+ drinks, I'm legit hungover and will wake up 8 hours later but feel like I haven't slept at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

My impression, certainly not fact based, is that many people need short term solutions to long term issues. And there's definitely a place for that. Often, but not always, insomnia (and other neurological challenges) have other contributors too such as diet, anxiety, health, and other stressors. Some people seem to handle all these contributors better than others, in other words there's only so much that fit into your "bucket" and your "bucket" may be of a different size to someone elses at this time.

So despite it being painful to do it may be worthwhile having an honest sit down to review stressors, then prioritize according to the 4 D's: Do it, Delete it, Defer it, Delegate it. Same thing with work and emails actually.
Also phrased as: 1) Urgent & important; 2) not urgent and important; 3) urgent and not important (ie someone elses problem they foisted off upon you); or 4) not urgent and not important. Since learning these two ways of looking at EVERYTHING, I'm still learning to apply them consistently, but honestly it really changed my outlook and how to evaluate life stress and mental health.

Another important item not to overlook, and related to diet, is to actually have a full spectrum blood analysis and hormone review. All too often deficiencies in absorption and elimination manifest in physical and emotional issues. For some people taking on specific large dosage supplements makes a radical difference (best done under medical supervision of course, whether that's allopathic, naturopathic, or functional medicine).
Best of luck and hopefully you and your partner figure out a long term solution.

Last edited by RichieRich; 10-29-2020 at 02:15 PM.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are several medical sleep clinics in Calgary. These are not the quackery-type. Perhaps, she should get assessed there, if she hasn't yet.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #15
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duplicate

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-30-2020 at 06:54 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #16
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

On my own experience, I would go with a good THC/CBD 50-50 blend.. THC on its own makes me really groggy in the morning, and CBD on its own doesn't help me fall asleep.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something else that might be helpful: spend an hour in a saltwater float tank. Get used to being relaxed in the dark again.

Soul Float and Clear Float are two quality operations.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
My impression, certainly not fact based, is that many people need short term solutions to long term issues. And there's definitely a place for that. Often, but not always, insomnia (and other neurological challenges) have other contributors too such as diet, anxiety, health, and other stressors. Some people seem to handle all these contributors better than others, in other words there's only so much that fit into your "bucket" and your "bucket" may be of a different size to someone elses at this time.

So despite it being painful to do it may be worthwhile having an honest sit down to review stressors, then prioritize according to the 4 D's: Do it, Delete it, Defer it, Delegate it. Same thing with work and emails actually.
Also phrased as: 1) Urgent & important; 2) not urgent and important; 3) urgent and not important (ie someone elses problem they foisted off upon you); or 4) not urgent and not important. Since learning these two ways of looking at EVERYTHING, I'm still learning to apply them consistently, but honestly it really changed my outlook and how to evaluate life stress and mental health.

Another important item not to overlook, and related to diet, is to actually have a full spectrum blood analysis and hormone review. All too often deficiencies in absorption and elimination manifest in physical and emotional issues. For some people taking on specific large dosage supplements makes a radical difference (best done under medical supervision of course, whether that's allopathic, naturopathic, or functional medicine).
Best of luck and hopefully you and your partner figure out a long term solution.
For me, I find that there is no rhyme or reason for when my insomnia flares up. Obviously, there have been times when I'm stressed and my sleep is horrible. However, I'll also just randomly go through stages where I just cannot sleep well, and there's absolutely no reason for it. The lack of sleep becomes the only stressor.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #19
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post

Also phrased as: 1) Urgent & important; 2) not urgent and important; 3) urgent and not important (ie someone elses problem they foisted off upon you); or 4) not urgent and not important.
Since learning these two ways of looking at EVERYTHING, I'm still learning to apply them consistently, but honestly it really changed my outlook and how to evaluate life stress and mental health.
Another important item not to overlook, and related to diet, is to actually have a full spectrum analysis and hormone review. All too often deficiencies in absorption and elimination manifest in physical and emotional issues. For some people taking on specific large dosage supplements makes a radical difference (best done under medical supervision of course, whether that's allopathic, naturopathic, or functional medicine).
This is a great post and I thank you for it. Without going into specifics so as to respect her privacy, she is doing much of all the above as well, as it pertains to examining her over all well being. Her desire to try this new avenue to help sleep, is definitely to get some short term relief while the data continues to come in from the various tests, consultations, etc.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #20
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Has she tried Melatonin. I have had trouble with sleep my entire life. I started with Melatonin recently and it's been fantastic. It's literally a hormone that tells your body to sleep. I'd avoid taking too much or taking it for too long. The pills they sell are often 10mg each, but you only need around 2mg. Taking too much can have the opposite effect or leave you drowsy through the day.

I also only try to take when I feel that I absolutely have to, and I've had 2-3+ really bad sleeps in a row. I don't want to build up a tolerance or inhibit my body's ability to produce it naturally.

I use Melatonin from time to time but wow, do I ever have crazy dreams when I take that stuff. The type that stick with you all day.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post: