Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 9 3.88%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 1 0.43%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 39 16.81%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 2 0.86%
Yan Kuznetsov 47 20.26%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 5 2.16%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 10 4.31%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 88 37.93%
Colton Poolman 1 0.43%
Martin Pospisil 1 0.43%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 16 6.90%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.43%
Alexander Yelesin 7 3.02%
Artyom Zagidulin 5 2.16%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many of us still aren't holding Ruzicka in very high esteem, but it's worthy to note that the club felt it warranted to keep him up in the bubble for playoffs. They see some NHL potential there for sure, and with Ruzicka his upside is pretty interesting. IMO he is potentially in for a very big season in the AHL.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Poirier, then Kinnvall for me.

Looking at the present state of the list, Mackey is the one guy who looks like he was voted in too high.
Keep in mind that outside of the top 3, there hasn't been anything close to a consensus on the next picks. It's possible for a player to get ranked in the top 5 even if the majority doesn't see them in the top 10. The number of times that happens probably isn't a lot and the difference between the majority and plurality opinion is likely within a few spots, but I think occasionally there are some pretty odd final rankings every year. At least until you get past the top 15, then it will be a free for all.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Many of us still aren't holding Ruzicka in very high esteem, but it's worthy to note that the club felt it warranted to keep him up in the bubble for playoffs. They see some NHL potential there for sure, and with Ruzicka his upside is pretty interesting. IMO he is potentially in for a very big season in the AHL.
Ruzicka is an interesting prospect. Lots of offensive upside. A big body. I think a part of the issue is that he struggles with his compete level, and he is not known for being solid in his own zone. If he has a big year in the AHL next year ( if there is an AHL) then he will get some more clout. Right now he is a bit of a dime a dozen player.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I've been voting him the last couple of rounds. Same first year pro production as Gawdin and Phillips (~0.5 ppg) and like those two, received lots of praise for growth during the year and his game by the end of it. Bubble invite as you say. And really big dude.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #25
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can get Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania to swing Kinnvall, then we have a chance.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
If we can get Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania to swing Kinnvall, then we have a chance.
You can start some attack ads to sway your opinion.

Poirier has been quite open about enjoying burgers, and he also loves kittens. Is it possible he eats kitten burgers? I'm not saying he does, I'm just asking questions.

A vote for Poirier is a vote for kitten burgers.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-28-2020 at 02:12 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I've been picking Nikolayev for a couple rounds, for some reason I just think he could be a sleeper. Pretty fast, good hands, plays with emotion/intensity. Seems like we kind of forget about him with all the shiny new toys, but he's a decent player.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I've been picking Nikolayev for a couple rounds, for some reason I just think he could be a sleeper. Pretty fast, good hands, plays with emotion/intensity. Seems like we kind of forget about him with all the shiny new toys, but he's a decent player.
Would like to see some VHL production or a KHL call up. Pointless through 4 in VHL now... I was interested in Nikolaeyev but his production is pretty pedestrian since the draft.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much like the draft, now that we're in the later rounds I'm picking based on straight up potential/ceiling.

So on that note this is Poirier for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #30
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Much like the draft, now that we're in the later rounds I'm picking based on straight up potential/ceiling.

So on that note this is Poirier for me
I'm kinda the opposite when it comes to defenders so I voted Kuznetsov. I'm confident he can be at minimum a bottom pairing guy within a few years.

Poirier has way higher upside offensively but needs to learn how to defend, and I'm pretty leery of those. 6 points in 6 games and still -4 leaves me a little wanting in the d-zone. High risk but the reward is great if he can avoid fishing the puck out of his own net in the pros.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a mid-second round pick turns into a bottom pairing defenseman, that's quite disappointing. You could acquire a better player with a second round pick. Devon Toews was recently acquired for 2 second round picks. Nate Schmidt was traded for a 3rd round pick (but this was a cap dump).

If a defenseman gets virtually no points, they probably shouldn't be in the NHL. Even very defensive defensemen should probably be getting 15+ points if they have top 4 minutes. Defensemen with fewer points than that probably won't have good advanced stats. Luckily, Yan Kuznetsov actually did produce a respectable amount in the NCAA this year, especially for his age. Therefore, I think he has top 4 upside. Hopefully he gets some powerplay time for his team. Or at least a lot of minutes.

Anecdotally, it seems like it's easier to teach an offense-minded player about defense than it is to teach a defense-minded player about offense.
Offense often requires inherent skill. Defense can often be taught.
Point totals require more minutes. Defense is just defense.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #32
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I went Poirier.

Why? You can teach defense, and the kid didn't seem to have an attitude problem at all in any of his meetings.

Unfair comparison but the situation reminds me so much of Al MacInnis joining the Flames. Big shot and no clue defensively.
You can only teach defense to someone willing to learn it though.

This guy, from what i understand, has never worried about it one bit. Like, simply does not play defense at all. He has played 3 years of junior now and nary a difference in the way he approaches the game. Can't believe his coaches through this whole time haven't been instructing him how to play a 200' game.

Hope he figures it out because it sounds like he is elite among elite in the offensive zone, but if he ever wants to play and stick in the NHL, he needs to do a 180 in his desire to learn to play in his own end.

He has a high ceiling for sure, but even more likely to be a total bust. No way i can see him being a top 10 prospect at this point.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have mad respect for people voting Chechelev in the top 10.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #34
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

This guy, from what i understand, has never worried about it one bit. Like, simply does not play defense at all. He has played 3 years of junior now and nary a difference in the way he approaches the game. Can't believe his coaches through this whole time haven't been instructing him how to play a 200' game.

Hope he figures it out because it sounds like he is elite among elite in the offensive zone, but if he ever wants to play and stick in the NHL, he needs to do a 180 in his desire to learn to play in his own end.

He has a high ceiling for sure, but even more likely to be a total bust. No way i can see him being a top 10 prospect at this point.
I can see your point, but the fact that Poirier himself acknowledges his need to learn better defense should give hope that he will get it. I'm not all that surprised that a player from the Q knows little about defense.

His coaches have let his deficiencies slip mainly because, while he doesn't put himself out in his own zone, if the puck gets to him, it's 2 zones the other way.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #35
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I have mad respect for people voting Chechelev in the top 10.

It was an impulse vote. I stand by it... kind of.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Yeah it's kind of hard to put a finger on.

The Athletic article interviews the coach and GM from his junior team, and they don't say a thing about an attitude problem, or refusing to learn.

Almost like teams he's played for have given him carte blanche to drive their offence and have looked past things.

His moving to his junior city and away from his parents during a pandemic to live near his coach and keep in shape / work on details was a good sign too.

Honestly I don't know.

MacInnis says he didn't have to play defense in the OHL because they had the puck the whole time.

Maybe Poirier wasn't pushed through his teen years at all.

Anyone picked 10th in a prospect pool has warts though, and his is defensive play.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #37
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah it's kind of hard to put a finger on.

The Athletic article interviews the coach and GM from his junior team, and they don't say a thing about an attitude problem, or refusing to learn.

Almost like teams he's played for have given him carte blanche to drive their offence and have looked past things.

His moving to his junior city and away from his parents during a pandemic to live near his coach and keep in shape / work on details was a good sign too.

Honestly I don't know.

MacInnis says he didn't have to play defense in the OHL because they had the puck the whole time.

Maybe Poirier wasn't pushed through his teen years at all.

Anyone picked 10th in a prospect pool has warts though, and his is defensive play.
Also, his junior team in Saint John has been exceptionally poor the last two seasons. Winning percentage in the .200 s. A little better this season, but still under .500.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #38
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1322337892879007744

Yikes!

Poirier sure does has a lot to learn about Defence...and his feet don’t look great.

Ryan Francis , the Flames 5th rd pick embarrasses him.

Last edited by timbit; 10-30-2020 at 07:51 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote