Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #481
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Biological? Or one of the 50 she’s fostered?
Adopted. And this lady is no stranger to the media, here's a feel good story about the soccer prodigy. And that was from September of this year.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #482
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post

Holy crap. The world is full of wonderful people.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #483
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am still amazed Canadians on this forum think Miller deserves all of this!

Hey, I am one of them.

If this was a Canadian kid, no one would know anything about his past actions as a 14 year old.

Young Offenders act etc.

There is a lynch mob mentality going on here, no Canadian kid would have to deal with. No one would know!

Personally I think the young man is scum. Can he learn from his mistakes? If a 14 year old is not capable of learning why have schools?

What the kid did was horrible. I am just asking which justice system would you want? The Canadian one or the American one.

If this was a Canadian kid there would be so many lawsuits right now.

I am not picking a side here. Not supporting Miller. Yet as a Canadian I am suppose to be fine with never hearing about stuff like this from Canadian boys.

Do things need to change? Are 14 year olds now considered adults in Canada? Our justice system says no.

I am not defending the kid. Our justice system in Canada would. Are we wrong in Canada?

Canadian values would say none of this would of hit the media if it was a Canadian boy.

Thoughts from Canadians?
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #484
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t see any scenario where this helps move the needle in any significant way.

The lack of an apology is like the empty netter when already up 4-2 with 10s left in the 3rd. The fate of this one was sealed and the result never in doubt well before that. All it did was add an exclamation mark in the headline.
Sorry don’t follow.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #485
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Yeah, I'm an expat and I think I've made my nuanced view clear.

The victim's mother wants us to believe that she never meant for any of this to happen. But back in 2016 she was allegedly threatening to go to the media if her son's soccer association didn't play her kid more. And then her husband assaulted the coach.

Just goes to show you that no one is perfect. We all make mistakes.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #486
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Hey, I am one of them.

If this was a Canadian kid, no one would know anything about his past actions as a 14 year old.

Young Offenders act etc.

There is a lynch mob mentality going on here, no Canadian kid would have to deal with. No one would know!

Personally I think the young man is scum. Can he learn from his mistakes? If a 14 year old is not capable of learning why have schools?

What the kid did was horrible. I am just asking which justice system would you want? The Canadian one or the American one.

I am not picking a side here. Not supporting Miller. Yet as a Canadian I am suppose to be fine with never hearing about stuff like this from Canadian boys.

Do things need to change? Are 14 year olds now considered adults in Canada? Our justice system says no.

I am not defending the kid. Our justice system in Canada would. Are we wrong in Canada?

Canadian values would say none of this would of hit the media if it was a Canadian boy.

Thoughts from Canadians?

It is an interesting point. As I said before, it was the stuff that happened after the main incident that is really upsetting.
You get into that much trouble at 14, end up in court, and show no remorse.

So you go through all that and it doesn’t cross your mind to try and make things right.
Then, to make it worse, at 16 you intimidate him again.

Not sure what the laws are, but would the stuff he did when he was 16 be able to be published if it was Canada?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #487
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
It is an interesting point. As I said before, it was the stuff that happened after the main incident that is really upsetting.
You get into that much trouble at 14, end up in court, and show no remorse.

So you go through all that and it doesn’t cross your mind to try and make things right.
Then, to make it worse, at 16 you intimidate him again.

Not sure what the laws are, but would the stuff he did when he was 16 be able to be published if it was Canada?
I am not making a statement. Just asking a question. Lots lawyers on this site that should be able to answer the question though.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #488
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Suing whom? The Coyotes don't owe anybody a spot in the NHL. He never had a contract. He's gone from being able to sign to sign with 1 team to being able to sign with 31.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #489
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

The victim's mother wants us to believe that she never meant for any of this to happen. But back in 2016 she was allegedly threatening to go to the media if her son's soccer association didn't play her kid more. And then her husband assaulted the coach.

Some mistakes are worse then others. Or people getting a parking ticket would be getting the same treatment as someone robbing a bank. Besides anything his parents have done has nothing to do with this anyways.( although now I am sure people are going to try and use it to justify things in some way)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #490
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Suing whom? The Coyotes don't owe anybody a spot in the NHL. He never had a contract. He's gone from being able to sign to sign with 1 team to being able to sign with 31.
I think he might be referring to the publication ban and sealed youth record. Not suing for lost income.

On another note, I’m not really sure how the mother’s conduct outside of this incident is relevant. Unless someone is trying to suggest she wanted the media attention or was trying to extort the offender’s family or the coyotes but those seem pretty far fetched. Given the alleged evidence, I hardly think anyone could claim she’s fabricating the offences against her son.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #491
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
If this was a canadian kid and his record was exposed to the public.

He would be able to sue under law!

Its not a canadian kid, but if it was he could sue for millions!
Old 10-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #492
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If this was a canadian kid and his record was exposed to the public.

He would be able to sue under law!

Its not a canadian kid, but if it was he could sue for millions!
Is that true though?

My understanding is that in Canada, having a young offender's record means that it is automatically expunged after a certain amount of time and it won't show up in a criminal record check when you are an adult.

Is there anything that stops a victim from speaking out about a crime committed by a young offender?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #493
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is that true though?

My understanding is that in Canada, having a young offender's record means that it is automatically expunged after a certain amount of time and it won't show up in a criminal record check when you are an adult.

Is there anything that stops a victim from speaking out about a crime committed by a young offender?
I'm not sure but there is nothing against a victim speaking out but the media would not be allowed to publish the offender's name. But now a days with social media that has become a moot point I'd say.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #494
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Yeah, the Mom is coming out with the story on draft day no matter what.

She may also be of dubious character, but that doesn’t change the bullying that went down.

I hope Miller tries to make amends. Its really the only way forward for him. Hockey can help you heal a lot too if you get the right circumstances.

Remember Mike Danton?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax

Last edited by Flashpoint; 10-30-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #495
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Glad this piece of garbage is done. Perhaps there is hope as we move forward.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:58 AM   #496
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hey, I am one of them.

Young Offenders act etc.

Thoughts from Canadians?
I’m a Canadian. #### this idiot. Does this help?
The Following User Says Thank You to ikaris For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 01:01 AM   #497
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Yeah, the Mom is coming out with the story on draft day no matter what.

She may also be of dubious character, but that doesn’t change the bullying that went down.

I hope Miller tries to make amends. Its really the only way forward for him. Hockey can help you heal a lot too if you get the right circumstances.

Remember Mike Danton?
Sorry his ignorance and lack of acknowledgment on the reality of situation suggests he’s a racist bastard and #### him. Do not bring this garbage in the NHL. And if you do, forget about talking about diversity and inclusion.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:03 AM   #498
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You sound like you’re a racist #######. Good luck with that.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 AM   #499
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

My view is this...The kid has officially been given his wakeup call.

Before he didn't really see any consequences from what he did and didn't show any remorse.

Now he needs to show some remorse and make things right.

He needs to be given a chance to change though. He shouldn't be blackballed from college and not given a chance to play NCAA hockey. He will get to play with people from all over. He will have a spotlight on him but that's his fault. He needs to turn that spotlight into a good thing. Show he has changed and has come out a better person.

And I know it sounds like I'm saying he is a victim here. I don't think he's a victim but I do think when someone is a teen their view is strongly influenced by their environment.

If he changes good for him. If not he only has him self to blame.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #500
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hey, I am one of them.

Young Offenders act etc.

Thoughts from Canadians?
I don’t follow your train of thought here.

It’s relatively simple. There is trauma, and there is repair.

The definition of trauma to a child can be “any non-nurturing action.”

By the loose subjectively of this definition we all will traumatize our children and all children will suffer some degree of trauma.

However.

The antidote is repair.

We all make mistakes, that’s why pencils have erasers. When trauma happens to a child, intended or unintended.

Repair it.

Acknowledge your mistake, authentically apologize so everyone can move on to the best of their capabilities. It’s part of growing up, being the bigger person and being an actual adult.

If he wasn’t able to do this because the parents of the victim would not accept it, document that he tried. Document how/where/when/why he’s tried to repair his mistake and how everyone in their family became a better person in the process.

They didn’t.

He was upfront about trauma that he caused and suffered consequences for but he didn’t repair it.

What Canadian would think that it’s ok to not just simply and authentically say “sorry” when they recognize severe failure in their own actions AND those actions can be verified with empirical evidence?

This repair didn’t occur. Both he and his family squandered the opportunity to do so.

American or Canadian or Swede or Fin. Who cares. No one needs this behaviour.

Don’t let the door hit them on the way out.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote