Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2.65 x 2 year deal. Get er done Tre!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I have a suspicion that Ryan Pulock (Isles), MacKenzie Weegar (Panthers), and Jake Virtanen (Canucks) will be traded after the arbitrator rules or they sign their deal. I think the player no longer fits the team's plans long term and they won't want to pay those dollars.
Pulock was the Isles #1 Dman this year. More likely they extend him long term IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pulock was the Isles #1 Dman this year. More likely they extend him long term IMO.
Maybe. Like I said it was a hunch. They have some good young d-men ready to step in, so if the awarded salary is too high, I could see them moving him.

Again, nothing other than a hunch I have.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #24
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Then I don't agree. Too much risk. You don't give out long-term deals based on 1 decent season.
I agree with you to an extent. It worked out pretty well with Andersson. I think Mangiapane has the potential to out-perform a decently priced long-term deal

How long until Mangiapane is a UFA?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #25
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
I did hear on TSN that the arbitrators will not take into account lost revenue from Covid or anything like that on their rulings.
Which should be the right thing to do, given that escrow would technically already account for it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #26
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I agree with you to an extent. It worked out pretty well with Andersson. I think Mangiapane has the potential to out-perform a decently priced long-term deal

How long until Mangiapane is a UFA?
3 years. I think 2x2.5 would be ideal. If he proves he is a top 6 forward, then you give him 4-5 years.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Then I don't agree. Too much risk. You don't give out long-term deals based on 1 decent season.
There is risk both ways. Last year we asked him to show and prove rather than giving him say a 3-year deal and it looks like it's going to bite us in the butt. We just lost out on a couple bargain years when we probably could have locked him up for under 2 million. If we do the same thing again, and he produces were in the same boat. It's a tough call. It can go both ways. He had 17 goals this year in a shortened season with no power play goals. This was his first full season. It is early to say exactly what he is but like I said there is risk both ways.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Signing a young player to a long term deal is the kind of high variance move that the team should take. You just need to bet on the right player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #29
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
3 years. I think 2x2.5 would be ideal. If he proves he is a top 6 forward, then you give him 4-5 years.
Yeah I hope for the same, I'd like to see more from Mangiapane
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #30
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Signing a young player to a long term deal is the kind of high variance move that the team should take. You just need to bet on the right player.
Roman Josi’s previous contract is a good example of this. It ended up being the best contracts of the 2010s for someone who was not a top draft pick.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #31
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And I don't think Mangiapane is the guy to do that with. How many times have we seen guys play with Backlund and then never reach those heights again? Mangiapane has never produced without top 6 forwards on his line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I don't think Mangiapane is the guy to do that with. How many times have we seen guys play with Backlund and then never reach those heights again? Mangiapane has never produced without top 6 forwards on his line.
He scored a ton in the AHL. I don’t believe he’s Backlund dependent and IMO his NHL career is too short to make that conclusion.

I’d bet on him.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #33
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

With 17 goals and top six minutes played I can see an Arb giving Andrew $3+ m
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #34
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He scored a ton in the AHL. I don’t believe he’s Backlund dependent and IMO his NHL career is too short to make that conclusion.

I’d bet on him.
Lots of players score a ton in the AHL

I'm not making a conclusion, I am saying that increases the risk that he might not be the player we think and thus I wouldn't give him a long term contract yet. I have no problem with gambling on Andersson, if Valimaki has a strong year, I'd be willing to gamble on him too. Mangiapane has enough flaws in his game and doesn't project to be a star, so I wouldn't take the risk, that's how you get a Viktor Rask contract
Old 10-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #35
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not making a conclusion, I am saying that increases the risk that he might not be the player we think and thus I wouldn't give him a long term contract yet. I have no problem with gambling on Andersson, if Valimaki has a strong year, I'd be willing to gamble on him too. Mangiapane has enough flaws in his game and doesn't project to be a star, so I wouldn't take the risk, that's how you get a Viktor Rask contract
I think Mangiapane was scoring alright in a 4th line role before Backlund. In addition his line was pushing play and had amazing advanced stats over the last two seasons. Also, if I am not mistaken most of Mangiapane's offense came at 5 on 5 which was a huge bonus for the team. I think he can be even more of a factor with an increased roll and more PP time.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #36
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think Mangiapane was scoring alright in a 4th line role before Backlund. In addition his line was pushing play and had amazing advanced stats over the last two seasons. Also, if I am not mistaken most of Mangiapane's offense came at 5 on 5 which was a huge bonus for the team. I think he can be even more of a factor with an increased roll and more PP time.
Mangiapane was playing well on a line with Ryan and Lucic before he was promoted to 3M when Frolik was failing.

Ryan kind of lost his line after that and never found a new one and seems like the odd man out now.

But if they do plan to play cheap youngsters on the 4th line, there’s no better vet than Ryan to put them with.

I’d even consider moving Ryan up with Monahan and Gaudreau and moving Lindholm to centre Tkachuk and have Backlund and Mangiapane form their own line. This would really spread out the scoring and mitigate any weaknesses in the 11th and 12th forwards.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If he would sign for 2x2.25 it would have been done.

He wouldn’t sign a 1 yeR deal for that.

It will start with a 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rask is an interesting comparison. Mangiapane has outperformed him in both the NHL and AHL and has shown the progression you want to see. Lock him up.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about 8 x 2.75 or something. Guarantee him a lifetime of money and absorb the risk that he doesn’t pan out.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #40
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mangiapane was playing well on a line with Ryan and Lucic before he was promoted to 3M when Frolik was failing.

Ryan kind of lost his line after that and never found a new one and seems like the odd man out now.

But if they do plan to play cheap youngsters on the 4th line, there’s no better vet than Ryan to put them with.

I’d even consider moving Ryan up with Monahan and Gaudreau and moving Lindholm to centre Tkachuk and have Backlund and Mangiapane form their own line. This would really spread out the scoring and mitigate any weaknesses in the 11th and 12th forwards.
I meant when he played with Ryan and Hathaway, they also had good success as a line. Over the last two seasons, Mangiapane seemed to make whichever line he was on better.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote