Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Pronman's 2020 Farm System Rankings

Just getting started he's only done 11 thus far, but no sign of the Flames which mean they're moving up.

Edmonton from 9th to 26th as well.

Pronman 2020 Farm System Rankings

Quote:
And now for the rankings:

21. Anaheim Ducks

22. Florida Panthers

23. Boston Bruins

24. Vegas Golden Knights

25. Tampa Bay Lightning

26. Edmonton Oilers

27. New York Islanders

28. San Jose Sharks

29. Nashville Predators

30. Pittsburgh Penguins

31. Washington Capitals
Oiler graduates are Bear and Jones, so it seems the change in overall ranking is a slip in how he views some of their top prospects.

Broberg moved from Tier: High-end NHL prospect to Tier: High-end/very good bubble

Bouchard from Tier: High-end NHL prospect to Tier: Very good NHL player

His third ranked prospect for Edmonton last year Dmitri Samorukov fell into his after thoughts section this summer.

Will be interesting to see where Calgary slots in, they were ranked 31st last year so I would think soon as they've already moved up 10-11 spots so far.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How would the Flames move up that much? What high end prospects have been added since his last ranking? Do guys like Pelletier and Mackey move the needle that much?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
How would the Flames move up that much? What high end prospects have been added since his last ranking? Do guys like Pelletier and Mackey move the needle that much?
Makes me question the randomness of these lists even more than I already did

Last edited by btimbit; 08-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find it odd Pronman didn't wait until after the draft to complete this like he normally does, so the only new additions to teams prospect pools are NCAA and European free agents. Which explains our big jump adding Mackey, Kinnvall and Poolman
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Pelletier was already in last years, so some teams have added no one and Mackey is very highly thought of by Pronman iirc
Old 08-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I wouldn't call lists like this random.

I think subjective is a better word.

He has clear cut offs for age, so players exit based on a flat formula. Then he groups players into tiers, and applies the total by tier into a weighting to rank the organizations.

Just one guy's opinion, but clearly he likes the free agent signings, and maybe has more upside for a player or two on the Flames list.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess? He'll be very high on the Dustin Wolf pick and the Mackey signing.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

The criteria changed including players under 22 even if they are established.

Pretty sure Dube and Tkachuk would fit that.

In any case teams with good young players on the roster will all move up.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wouldn't call lists like this random.

I think subjective is a better word.

He has clear cut offs for age, so players exit based on a flat formula. Then he groups players into tiers, and applies the total by tier into a weighting to rank the organizations.

Just one guy's opinion, but clearly he likes the free agent signings, and maybe has more upside for a player or two on the Flames list.
I would also say it shows how tight the difference is between the prospect pools of teams as well. Especially with players exiting due to age and I assume games played, and no one entering this years rankings except CHL, NCAA and European free agent signings due to this list being before the draft this time around.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Franchise Player

Exp:

He probably just put Valimaki back into the pool.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
they changed the player cut offs from the previous years:

Quote:
Second, this year’s version will have full evaluations with tool grades of all players in an organization who are 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2020, regardless of how many NHL games they’ve played, to go along with the rest of the players in the pipeline.
so that loops in a number of players that were previously "graduated" to the NHL
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #12
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
My guess is that it's probably a combo of improved rankings for Wolf and Pettersen, the NCAA/Euro adds, and other orgs subtracting. I mean, it's perfectly fair to wonder what high end prospects have been added since his last ranking... but similarly it's fair to ask which have been subtracted.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were chatting about this in the draft thread.

This list includes all players 22 or younger so basically 2016 draft and on. Tkachuk, Dube, Valimaki all factoring into the ranking.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the system rankings to not get excited about Pronman is top of the list. His preference to small skilled players is a little disturbing and hasn't played well for him over the years.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
N26
Old 09-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Welcome to The Athletic’s look at the top young players in hockey and our 2020 ranking of the NHL organizations’ young talent.

This year’s organizational ranking will be different than previous years. First, it is occurring before the NHL Draft and not after, although I will make an updated version following the draft.

Second, this year’s version will have full evaluations with tool grades of all players in an organization who are 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2020, regardless of how many NHL games they’ve played, to go along with the rest of the players in the pipeline.

It will not include skaters older than 22 as of Sept. 15, 2020, who have played 25 NHL games in a season or 50 career games; goalies with 10 games in a season or 25 in a career; nor any player age 26 or older as of Sept. 15, 2020.

Thus, all players from the 2016 to 2019 NHL drafts who were first-year eligible at their draft are incorporated into this year’s organizational rankings”
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Updated List:
20. St.Louis
19. Columbus
18. Detroit
17. Dallas

Still no Flames...
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Of all the system rankings to not get excited about Pronman is top of the list. His preference to small skilled players is a little disturbing and hasn't played well for him over the years.
I enjoy reading his stuff because of that difference. My approach is to read a few different perspective to help for my own. A lot of "lists" are largely repetitive, but guys like Pronman and Button at least have the conviction to put out their own view, even if it differs from the norm.

Doesn't mean I think he's accurate or the best projector of talent. It's just another view to read.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll agree with that Jiri. A different perspective is always welcome.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #19
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really not sure why the Flames would move up much. Almost all their top prospects are in the NHL already. Not saying the Flames have done a poor job drafting - they've actually done quite well - but I don't see a lot to get excited about outside the NHL club at the moment.

EDIT: Oh never mind just read all the posts. If he's counting guys 22 or younger already in the league then that would explain it.

Last edited by madmike; 09-01-2020 at 09:12 AM.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Really not sure why the Flames would move up much. Almost all their top prospects are in the NHL already. Not saying the Flames have done a poor job drafting - they've actually done quite well - but I don't see a lot to get excited about outside the NHL club at the moment.
I am mystified why people continue to ignore the reason why the Flames have moved up Pronman's rankings so much, even after several clear explanations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
“...this year’s version will have full evaluations with tool grades of all players in an organization who are 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2020, regardless of how many NHL games they’ve played, to go along with the rest of the players in the pipeline.”
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote