Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yes, those are great features for 2009.

On a brands flagship sedan now, though, you would expect Android Auto and Apple Car Play at a bare minimum. Active safety/autonomous driving features (automatic stop, radar cruise, lane-keep assist, automatic parking, etc.). Head-up display, panoramic cameras, blind spot warning, remote start, keyless start, LED lights, premium interior materials without hard plastics, power open/close trunk, cooled seats, touchscreens, digital configurable gauges, voice controls, USB inputs, and the list goes on. I seriously pulled those off the top of my head. Maybe an engine that wasn't a gas guzzler (hybrid or turbo 4)?

You can't give an '09 Maxima an A for tech. And and A+ for performance makes no sense, either, BTW. Not crapping on your car, but your rating system leaves no room for anything built in the last decade by any other manufacturer. Compare an '09 Maxima against a '19 Genesis made by Hyundai, for example, and the Maxima would get Ds or Fs in every category. And that's not even taking into account BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., which are all better than a decade old Nissan, too.
LOL. So essentially what you're saying is...

greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Not for nothing, but I can give it whatever grade I feel like giving it for my purposes. I'm an owner giving my feedback on the brand like you asked. I clearly don't care as much about fluff that *Shouldn't* effect my driving as you do, and I did give consideration to it's age. Their new Maxima's have all of that afaik. And mine does have quite a bit of the things you mentioned (very nice leather/soft plastic interior, LED Lights, USB ports). I get upwards of 700km to my tank, 7-8.5L/100km highway isn't what I'd call a gas guzzler. I destroy basically all of my friends in terms of speed/handling, the thing is a sports sedan after all, bare in mind I'm not a millionaire here, I'm a middle income guy in his mid 20s who's extremely happy with his 6500 dollar used vehicle who's kind of surprised to see someone think the brand is such a pile of dirt considering how many genuinely meh models from other brands I've driven/taken rides in.
Yeah, I mean you can give it any rating you want, but if it's arbitrary and made in a vacuum, what value does it have? You asked what tech it didn't have, I told you, then you dismissed it as fluff.

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna I love. It has the world's worst voice control and it can't keep track of two phones attached to the Bluetooth at once, so I don't hook mine up and just let my wife leave her's connected. No active safety stuff; it has a USB input, but it doesn't do anything that I can figure out aside from charging a phone; the back-up camera is the size of a postage stamp; and the infotainment is dot matrix green old school lights. I still love it, but I can look at it objectively enough to know it doesn't merit an A in any category.

So if you love your Maxima, go ahead and love it. That's cool to love it. I like all kinds of cars that wouldn't win any awards. My latest purchase is a 2008 Mini Cooper. That thing barely has any tech, but it's still a fun car to own/drive. I get stoked if I see a mint 1986 Tercel. You don't have to be a millionaire to have a car you like, but it's dishonest to give a 2009 Nissan Maxima an A+, A+ and A. I mean, come on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nissan is the same (obviously). Like, a guy posted on Reddit a day or two ago about a 2018 370Z he bought, and all the posts in reply had a vibe like people felt bad for him. I actually did/do feel bad for him. Like, there are so many cars so far superior to that (Mustang is an obvious one) that I don't understand why he would buy it. I do like the exterior styling of 370Zs, but when the power, handling, economy, maintenance, technology, infotainment, etc. is a decade old, I don't get how they could sell a single one.
I'm a huge Z car guy and a former owner of a 280z and a 370z, and the fact is that the Z car range, at its heart, is not about technology and sure as hell isn't about competing with cars like a Mustang. It should be about a particular driving experience that hearkens back to the S30 cars. The 370z did a much better job of replicating that experience than the 350z, while blending it with some of the more touring-oriented Z cars that were built in the 80's and 90's.

That being said, it's definitely time for a new model, and has been for probably the past three years or so. Until they're ready to do that, what Nissan should have done was add a turbo and a decent tune, and otherwise strip the car down so that it put out 400+ and weighed less than it does - effectively just sell a turbocharged NISMO-style model, and that's it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #24
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Uh, it has a monster sound system, bluetooth, GPS, paddle shifters, a HDD and an SD slot, heated steering wheel/seats, backup camera, programmable side mirrors/seats etc etc. What else do you expect exactly?

To clarify: The sound system is a Bose, I just mean it's freaking awesome
Don't worry, he drives a mini van. So he knows what he's talking about.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your reddit link doesn't work - WTF.

I award this thread an F, on my completely arbitrary internet scale that is obviously more correct than anyone else's opinion.

IDK, but I just don't see how this thread is getting such a reaction or any responses. Anyone a fan?
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a review based purely on the level of gratification I have in those categories as an owner of a Nissan, the car exceeds all of my expectations for the price, period. I didn't compare, nor will I compare it, to any other vehicle on the market. Would you like to pay me to do an Analysis? because it sounds like you want a brand to brand analysis of features/performance/price. You could've just said thanks for your input instead of immediately laughing about me liking it

You suggested it had a tape deck, which is just inanely inflammatory, and then listed a bunch of stuff that basically every car has in it's newer models and a few super obscure things. There's nothing on that list I'm not seeing on their specs, hardly brushed it off, my 09 model CLEARLY won't have tech that didn't exist in 2009
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #27
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, those are great features for 2009.

On a brands flagship sedan now, though, you would expect Android Auto and Apple Car Play at a bare minimum. Active safety/autonomous driving features (automatic stop, radar cruise, lane-keep assist, automatic parking, etc.). Head-up display, panoramic cameras, blind spot warning, remote start, keyless start, LED lights, premium interior materials without hard plastics, power open/close trunk, cooled seats, touchscreens, digital configurable gauges, voice controls, USB inputs, and the list goes on. I seriously pulled those off the top of my head. Maybe an engine that wasn't a gas guzzler (hybrid or turbo 4)?

You can't give an '09 Maxima an A for tech. And and A+ for performance makes no sense, either, BTW. Not crapping on your car, but your rating system leaves no room for anything built in the last decade by any other manufacturer. Compare an '09 Maxima against a '19 Genesis made by Hyundai, for example, and the Maxima would get Ds or Fs in every category. And that's not even taking into account BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., which are all better than a decade old Nissan, too.

I have a '18 Altima. I bought the mid level one, which has the majority of the stuff on your list, and I don't really care about the rest. I see complaints about them being underpowered, but I honestly think that's people not liking or being used to the feel of the CVT.

My comparison cars were a Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Camry. I have kids who are going to be very tall by the time I'm done with this car, so I wanted a decent sized backseat in a sedan. After that it was mainly price/options. We wanted one that had air to the back seat, which many base model sedans don't (one kid gets car sick without good air flow). On the sedans thay had that, the price we paid for the Altima was at least 3k less than anything comparable, including they Hyundai.

My last purchase was a Hyundai, and I'm not a car guy at all. But when we were buying the functionality/price tradeoff was pretty good. YMMV, obviously.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I don't think Nissan/Infiniti are nearly as bad as people say. I just find their pricing structure and branding very odd. They have a bunch of bargain bins vehicles that are crap. Then you have this large leap in price to their descent vehicles, but the price point is bad in comparison to their competition. Their basically poisoning their own brand (which is very important in the card world) with the trash at the bottom.

That being said, because of all this resale value on Nissan's/Inifiniti is plunging, which creates some bargains to be had in the used car market.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Your reddit link doesn't work - WTF.

I award this thread an F, on my completely arbitrary internet scale that is obviously more correct than anyone else's opinion.

IDK, but I just don't see how this thread is getting such a reaction or any responses. Anyone a fan?
Link fixed, thanks.

Not all car ratings are arbitrary. I think it's obvious to anyone that when rating tech, a car with more/better tech would rate higher than a car with inferior/less tech. That's a fact, not an opinion.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #30
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm a huge Z car guy and a former owner of a 280z and a 370z, and the fact is that the Z car range, at its heart, is not about technology and sure as hell isn't about competing with cars like a Mustang. It should be about a particular driving experience that hearkens back to the S30 cars. The 370z did a much better job of replicating that experience than the 350z, while blending it with some of the more touring-oriented Z cars that were built in the 80's and 90's.

That being said, it's definitely time for a new model, and has been for probably the past three years or so. Until they're ready to do that, what Nissan should have done was add a turbo and a decent tune, and otherwise strip the car down so that it put out 400+ and weighed less than it does - effectively just sell a turbocharged NISMO-style model, and that's it.
? The Mustang is literally a direct competitor.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #31
DigitalCarpenter
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Does Mazada still have rusting issues?
My 2010 3 has no rust at all, lots of dings and dents, but no rust.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalCarpenter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #32
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved my 2012 Pathfinder..only traded it in because I no longer had a need for something that big.

A fully loaded Maxima is by far the most comfortable cruising car I’ve ever had the pleasure of renting for a long sales trip.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Nissans style-wise. I have test driven a few and like how they drive. I can't say I know enough about them to comment under the hood.

But if I was to go and buy a new car today, I would probably be looking at Nissans first just based on what I see.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #34
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't give an '09 Maxima an A for tech. And and A+ for performance makes no sense, either, BTW. Not crapping on your car, but your rating system leaves no room for anything built in the last decade by any other manufacturer. Compare an '09 Maxima against a '19 Genesis made by Hyundai, for example, and the Maxima would get Ds or Fs in every category. And that's not even taking into account BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., which are all better than a decade old Nissan, too
Yah, but that's not even a fair comparison. I'm like the opposite of your views. I look at the price of a Genesis, and I go man, that's expensive for a Hyundai. The interior looks pretty cheap. For that price, I'd rather go with a new Infiniti.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #35
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a 2019 Maxima v 2019 Genisis G80 analysis for speed/safety etc, doesn't have a tech breakdown but everything I'm seeing suggest they have basically the same features available

Asbury Comparison

edmunds gives them both the same overall rating, Maxima clearly better performance wise and for about 10k cheaper
Old 03-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
? The Mustang is literally a direct competitor.
Not if you actually drive the cars. They're very different experiences. Miles apart in feel; the Mustang feels higher, longer and heavier and far more grunty, because it is. FFS, the 370z barely has a trunk, much less the Mustang's semi-usable back seats. Anyone thinking "should I get a Mustang or a 370z" probably doesn't know a whole lot about cars, or at least is torn between categories. If the 370z is competing with anything it's with the BRZ twins, and even then, it's a heavier, more powerful and more GTesque car than those. It tried to some extent compete with the Cayman and did an okay job as a cheaper alternative, when it came out.

But mostly, every Z car is just competing with its own history. It's a cult vehicle line, not unlike the Miata or even the WRX STI (though that's a bit different given its age-old rivalry with the EVO).

Frankly, "the Mustang" isn't a direct competitor to anything - its range is huge from the bland mass-market junk at the bottom to the incredible vehicle that is the GT350R (trim quality notwithstanding, from what I'm told).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a 2019 Maxima v 2019 Genisis G80 analysis for speed/safety etc, doesn't have a tech breakdown but everything I'm seeing suggest they have basically the same features available

Asbury Comparison

edmunds gives them both the same overall rating, Maxima clearly better performance wise and for about 10k cheaper
OMG, guy. I'm not talking about a 2019 Maxima vs a 2019 Genesis. You said you gave your 2009 Maxima an "A" for tech, which is absurd compared to what is available in modern cars. You had the opportunity to qualify it by saying "for a 2009", but instead, you called all tech after 2009 "fluff"
and maintained your "A" rating for tech in your 2009 Nissan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #38
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a fact, not an opinion.
Like Lake communities being better than non-Lake communities

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #39
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
OMG, guy. I'm not talking about a 2019 Maxima vs a 2019 Genesis. You said you gave your 2009 Maxima an "A" for tech, which is absurd compared to what is available in modern cars. You had the opportunity to qualify it by saying "for a 2009", but instead, you called all tech after 2009 "fluff"
and maintained your "A" rating for tech in your 2009 Nissan.
I ####ing said I was giving consideration to it's age, which language would you like me to speak to you in? You want to know why Nissan is still in business or not?

Here' I'll even requote myself for you

Quote:
Not for nothing, but I can give it whatever grade I feel like giving it for my purposes. I'm an owner giving my feedback on the brand like you asked. I clearly don't care as much about fluff that *Shouldn't* effect my driving as you do, and I did give consideration to it's age. Their new Maxima's have all of that afaik. And mine does have quite a bit of the things you mentioned (very nice leather/soft plastic interior, LED Lights, USB ports). I get upwards of 700km to my tank, 7-8.5L/100km highway isn't what I'd call a gas guzzler. I destroy basically all of my friends in terms of speed/handling, the thing is a sports sedan after all, bare in mind I'm not a millionaire here, I'm a middle income guy in his mid 20s who's extremely happy with his 6500 dollar used vehicle who's kind of surprised to see someone think the brand is such a pile of dirt considering how many genuinely meh models from other brands I've driven/taken rides in.
Continue being insufferable Sir, godspeed

Last edited by Scornfire; 03-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #40
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Continue on, I'm bowing out, should've known not to give my 2c on a Sliver thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:

Tags
nissan