Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #1021
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of pinball, saw in one of the free newspapers last week that there's a bunch of machines now at the Trap and Gill on Heritage.

Anyone been and which games do they have?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #1022
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Yeah, 8th Avenue was a great place to search for music. There was another cool shop east of 1st Street, around where the Winners is now. There was also another dirt arcade on that block, a little further east where Original Joe's and/or Kismet is now. It was easy to spend an afternoon down there, drifting from arcade to arcade, grabbing a bite to eat, flipping through record bins looking for that certain record. Fond memories.
Yes, I do remember that music store east of 1st Ave. I don't remember the name of that store but it was another one I used to frequent. Does anybody remember the record store that was on the ground level of Stratford Towers on 17th Ave. SW in the mid-80s? I wish I could remember the names of these stores.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #1023
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah I remember that guy. He was in a local band, too, but I can't remember which one.
I think the band was King Rat. I remember they had a video on MuchMusic and when I saw it I was like "Whoa, that dude gives me quarters!"
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #1024
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I miss kidstreet.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #1025
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Laser Illusions was in Southcenter, bottom of the stairs by the South entrance.
That place was rad. Hit the arcade, check out the animals in the pet store next door, then up to the food court.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #1026
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy street was rad. They had Street Fighter II and then Mortal Kombat II on that massive screen. So awesome.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #1027
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Twas Wizards Castle (the Arcade). The dude who worked their with the pompadour was epic. I remember when his band King Rat had a video on muchmusic and I was like "whoa, that guy gives me my quarters!".
Found this post from 2012 when I was trying to fact check my post about King Rat.

Oh my god, I'm that old man. Repeating stories to no one in particular...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #1028
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easy Street can't be beat.

Bullwinkles was also 10x better than Schanks.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #1029
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Illusions was on 8th ave across the street from Three Ring Circus. Where the McDonald's is now.

8th Ave Mall was a lot cooler when it was full of arcades, head shops, and other places appealing to wayward teens. Three Ring Circus. Catch the Winds. Funky Punkers. Illusions. Charisma. Boodlum. The comic store at the West end of the mall.
Siege Perilous! The owner shut it down after a flood.

We saw him working as an usher at the Esso Plaza theatres a few months later.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #1030
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Mikes Billiards and Arcade. Near McKnight and Edmonton Trail. The Arcade across from the Palace. The Palace theater itself, saw so many movies there like Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and the Wrath of Khan. The Corral 4 and the Sunset Drive-In's. Bullwinkles, Chuck E Cheese, Pondarosa where the A&W is now on McKnight and 4th. Pisces when it was a tiny shop. (you can now guess what area I lived in back in the 80's) The GUN shop that was changed to a UNG Video. Power Players on Center Street...so many memories...
Mike's still exists, it just moved. It now at 2020 32 Ave NE, just east of McCall Lake golf course headed east on 32nd.

Mike's was the only place I felt "safe" in when I was younger when my buddy and I played pool. We went to a few other places with pool there were super sketchy, but Mike's was always solid. We still meet up at the new location from time to time. Great place.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #1031
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm old, I still remember the bowling alley at Northland mall and playing centipede on those coffee table things . Stupid whippersnappers!

Last edited by keratosis; 09-27-2016 at 04:19 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #1032
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I'm old, I still remember the bowling alley at Northland mall and playing centipede on those coffee table things . Stupid whippersnappers!
Those were a way better setup. I'm not a stander. I'd much rather sit to play vids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #1033
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can just barely remember playing sit-down Pac Man at Sunshine Village. Shoot, I must have been 4 or 5.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #1034
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #1035
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else miss Cart Gardens? I was never old enough to ride the "fast" go carts but man we had some good times there.

Also, bullsh*t corner was pretty fun in highschool.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #1036
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Anyone else miss Cart Gardens? I was never old enough to ride the "fast" go carts but man we had some good times there.

Also, bullsh*t corner was pretty fun in highschool.
Yeah that was fun, but those electric karts in the NE by the airport are way better now. Love the electric karts...way more torque and you don't stink like exhaust after you're done. If you haven't tried them you should check it out.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #1037
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

Also, pretty fun in highschool.
The strip along 7th and 8th ave was a great place to take your cars to cruise on a friday or saturday night. Bullsh*t corner on the west end and hookers corner on the east.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #1038
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I used to love going to The Attic on 8th Ave., back when it was across from The Bay. This was way before A&B Sound set up shop in the old Bank of Montreal building so I'm talking mid- to late-80s. I didn't have much money back then but I would scrape whatever money I had from my paper route or my job as a busboy and would buy something there (a cassette tape or a 12" or a t-shirt) at least a couple times a month. Now one can find whatever one wants online but back then, hunting for cool music or music paraphernalia (for a reasonable price) was so much fun.

There was also a Music World at the corner of 8th Ave. and 1st Street SW that had a really great collection of 12" and laser discs.

There was also a really cool record store on MacLeod Trail in the late-80s. It was located in the building where Blind Beggar Pub is located now. I only went there a few times as it was quite the trek for me from Castleridge on public transit but it had a wonderful selection of punk and indie (or college radio, as indie was called back then) music. I keep thinking it was called A&M Records but that can't be right and it must be my foggy memory conflating the name of the store with the record label but somehow, that's the only name I can come up with for that store.
I used to go to the Attic in the late 90s and early oughts. They sold bootlegs from Europe for $200 that you could get on Napster for free. But it was a pretty cool store. That whole area was pretty awesome back then. There were all these cheap clothing stores where you could find vintage slightly obscure band T shirts for $5. They had probably been on the racks since the 80s.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #1039
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I think the band was King Rat. I remember they had a video on MuchMusic and when I saw it I was like "Whoa, that dude gives me quarters!"
I think I remember of at least hearing of this band, but there is no evidence of them online. Not even at the Calgary Cassette Preservation Society, and they know an awful lot from the old days.

This thread is 4th in google search results for "King Rat Calgary" or whatever I put in.

Could it have "King of the Rats" or something?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #1040
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Those were a way better setup. I'm not a stander. I'd much rather sit to play vids.
Well that surprises me!

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time