Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #841
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Man, that Pizza Hut lunch buffet was the bomb! I used to go there all the time back in Jr High. Just the other day I was explaining a pizza hut dessert pizza to someone, you know the ones that were basically an apple or cherry crumble with icing on top of a pizza base... I could really go for one of those right now!
I gained many a pound there - are there any Pizza Hut lunch buffets in town now?

Pizza Hut pizza is something I wouldn't ever order for takeout, but the buffet pizza had some crack in it and tasted totally different.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #842
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I gained many a pound there - are there any Pizza Hut lunch buffets in town now?

Pizza Hut pizza is something I wouldn't ever order for takeout, but the buffet pizza had some crack in it and tasted totally different.
17th ave se still has one. I think it's one of the only sit down ones still left in town
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #843
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Midnapore as well.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #844
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Does anybody have pictures of this? My memory is having trouble figuring out where it was, how it looked like.

Was the bowling alley connected to it? I think I saw Jurassic Park here when I was a kid.
Yeah, it was in the same building as the bowling alley. You can see it on the left hand side of this picture, close to the 16 Avenue side. The building is separate from the rest of the mall around it. The picture is from 1960, despite the time stamp - you can see there is no LRT on 14th Avenue in the picture. And The Highlander is still there, instead of the Home Depot, on 16 Avenue and 19 Street.

Here's another picture of it from 1973. You can see the building just on the right hand edge of the image. The Sears that is pictured in most of the image is from 2013.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-21-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #845
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
3. Gondola Pizza
The BEST hangover pizza of all time. Thin, greasy and with a taste I have never seen replicated since.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #846
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_4_ever View Post
Not sure how exactly I came across this thread, but I am resurrecting it. Anybody miss renting video games and movies? Specifically at places like Game Station, Rainbow Video, & even Mega Movies? Also didn't forget about Blockbuster and picking up games at midnight for release! Some good times renting new SNES or Genesis games. Even better was when you were able to rent out whole systems like Neo Geo, N64, Sega Saturn etc. Best of all...winning the free rental in the gumball machine!
My grandma was dating the guy who owned Jumbo Video for a while....it was amazing. I got these 40 in 1 style Nintendo games. Don't want to think about what she was doing to make him want to turn those over....
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #847
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
By the duck pond next to Smart Technologies right?
Yep.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #848
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Yeah, it was in the same building as the bowling alley. You can see it on the left hand side of this picture, close to the 16 Avenue side. The building is separate from the rest of the mall around it. The picture is from 1960, despite the time stamp - you can see there is no LRT on 14th Avenue in the picture. And The Highlander is still there, instead of the Home Depot, on 16 Avenue and 19 Street.
Oh man, the Highlander...had a few...nights in that bar. What was it called? I seam to have blocked it out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #849
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh man, the Highlander...had a few...nights in that bar. What was it called? I seam to have blocked it out.
I want to say one was Black Angus something or other. To Google!

EDIT: Haha, Google led me right back to CP.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-21-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #850
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Camp Gardner is closing (and moving?):

http://chin.scouts.ca/ca/camp-gardner

Camp Gardner will be closing October 1, 2015.

We will take the best of our history into the future. We have had the privilege of Clem Gardner’s “graze lease" donation since 1957 to enjoy a cub camp retreat for almost 60 years. What a wonderful place for young Cub Scouts and others to experience learning in the outdoors. It was the camp experience at Camp Gardner that laid the foundation to become a successful scouter.

The Cub Scout Way is to play! The experience of camping is not going away, it is simply being moved. Since the flood in 2013, we have re-directed our Cub Camp program to Tillicum Village at Camp Impeesa

They had a great obstacle course.
Nooooo! This makes me so sad. I had so many good times there as a scout. Was a great facility, but I can see how in this day and age with all the millionaires building estates on highway 22 that it wouldn't be viable anymore. Sad news.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #851
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

Here's another picture of it from 1973. You can see the building just on the right hand edge of the image. The Sears that is pictured in most of the image is from 2013.

SAIT looks really different in that picture. Is that old residence tower still standing? When I was a student there in 2010 I think it was condemned.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #852
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Camp Gardner is closing (and moving?):

http://chin.scouts.ca/ca/camp-gardner

Camp Gardner will be closing October 1, 2015.

We will take the best of our history into the future. We have had the privilege of Clem Gardner’s “graze lease" donation since 1957 to enjoy a cub camp retreat for almost 60 years. What a wonderful place for young Cub Scouts and others to experience learning in the outdoors. It was the camp experience at Camp Gardner that laid the foundation to become a successful scouter.

The Cub Scout Way is to play! The experience of camping is not going away, it is simply being moved. Since the flood in 2013, we have re-directed our Cub Camp program to Tillicum Village at Camp Impeesa

They had a great obstacle course.
I have exactly one memory of that place. We had gone out for the weekend, I think I had been there a whole 30 minutes when we got on the "bull". It was an oil drum hung on a frame with 4 ropes. 4 others would rock the thing back and forth. It was designed for scout sized kids, but us beavers went right for it. At 8 years old there was no way I was wrapping my legs around it and I was the first to scramble aboard. The barrel gained momentum rapidly. My legs, unable to wrap around the barrel let lose. Chin forward, I was sent like a stone from a trebeche, directly into the support bar. Chin split open, bleeding like Spartan from 300, it was straight to Foothills for 12 stitches. The leader called my parents up, and they were less surprised that I injured myself than that I hadn't even been there an hour. So ya, that oil barrel and the scar on my chin are my sole memories of that place.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #853
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Highlander Motor Hotel - Calgary, Alberta by cardboardamerica@gmail.com Jordan Smith, on Flickr

Found this while searching. kinda funny. I think the bar may have just been called "The Highlander".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #854
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone ever go to the metal bar that used to be around the corner from the whiskey? I can't remember the name entirely, but I know it had "King" in it somewhere and Tron from fubar used to bartend there.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #855
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
The BEST hangover pizza of all time. Thin, greasy and with a taste I have never seen replicated since.
When I was a kid, we liked to mock the Gondola Pizza jingle with:

Gondola pizza
Our pizza is the ####za
We put it all together
With things off the floor

There are still Gondola Pizza locations in some of the more dilapidated strip malls in the city. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-22-2015 at 11:55 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #856
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Did anyone ever go to the metal bar that used to be around the corner from the whiskey? I can't remember the name entirely, but I know it had "King" in it somewhere and Tron from fubar used to bartend there.
The Warehouse? I think the basement was metal and punk and the upstairs usually had techno or something. I think I remember the chairs in the basement were bench seats from old cars.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #857
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
The Warehouse? I think the basement was metal and punk and the upstairs usually had techno or something. I think I remember the chairs in the basement were bench seats from old cars.
The warehouse and underground were fantastic dive bars, I remember playing on the same stage as Gene Hoglan from fear factory there. The place I'm thinking of was the first one in calgary to do punk rock bingo (even before the ship and anchor). They closed around 2007 or 2008.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #858
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Castle on first used to do it. With one of the guys from field day.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #859
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
1. Village Square Leisure Centre -Still there

2. Silver Dragon in Chinatown - Still there

3. Food for Less in the NE - Food for Less was operated by Safeway, not sure why they called it Food for Less. Both the one in the NE and the one by Southcentre are now just Safeways. The Food City was in the strip mall on Memorial Drive and 52 Street. It's now a Shoppers Drug Mart.

4. Sunridge Mall - Still there

5. Franklin Mall - Now Pacific Place

6. That indoor garden in that downtown mall - Devonian Gardens, it's been re-modeled and it looks like crap.

7. Do you still have to press a button on the C-Train to open the train doors? Yes (I think so).
Just made one correction.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #860
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
The Castle on first used to do it. With one of the guys from field day.
Omg that's it the castle! Damn I had kings head on my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time