Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #121
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For me it isn't about him being a homer - I just find his interpretations and observations of the game to be...odd.
For someone who watches as much hockey as he does - I find his grasp of the sport to be quite poor.
I Haven't noticed him being out to lunch on too many occasions but I admit to not listening to the vast majority of what he says (due to having kids who want to listen to Hits1 and not the fan 960)

Do you have an example?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #122
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Interesting that Talbot and his family have made Edmonton their permanent home. Because of that, it sounds like Calgary was definitely his first choice.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/a-gr...on/c-308152402
This is actually a significant condemnation of his logical reasoning abilities and could go so far as to lay the groundwork for doubt concerning his intelligence and sanity.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #123
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn’t Wills doing PBP for the NHL after the Flames were eliminated? That tells me he’s liked in the circles that count in regards to getting work.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #124
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is actually a significant condemnation of his logical reasoning abilities and could go so far as to lay the groundwork for doubt concerning his intelligence and sanity.
Some kind of geographical Stockholm syndrome?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #125
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talbot should do #19 and say Koskinen is his favorite goalie of all time.

Troll job like when Jagr said McDavid will score 100 goals.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #126
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Wasn’t Wills found PBP for the NHL after the Flames were eliminated? That tells me he’s liked in the circles that count in regards to getting work.
Nobody is questioning his PBP abilities. He does a reasonable navel job calling games, has a decent cadence.

Describing what happens is quite different from breaking down who is good at what, and why
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #127
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just seems like s professional radio guy. Decent voice, knows how to speak on the radio etc. vs a hockey guy. If he was only used in a PBP capacity it would be fine instead of being asked to provide opinions or analysis.

I don’t recall Bob Cole being asked for his analysis of a game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #128
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamette View Post
Didn’t see this posted anywhere:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-prove-flames/

Some interesting quotes:

"Even the season before last, I don’t think I was as bad as most people thought. One of our top defencemen went down [Andrej Sekera], which is never easy, but I still had 31 wins. Last season was mentally and physically exhausting. It kind of turned quickly and for some reason, I couldn’t stop it.

"To be honest I have a lot to prove. Last year was my worst as a pro and it’s something I don’t take lightly. It will be a redemption year for myself."
————
"My understanding is we’re going to be a tandem," said Talbot, owner of a career .915 save percentage, confirming the general assignment he’ll be expected to shoulder.
————
After several years under the tutelage of Oilers goalie coach Dustin Schwartz, Talbot is returning to Ontario to spend the next six weeks with Pat DiPronio.

"He’s my old goalie coach from when I was 10 years old in Stoney Creek," said Talbot, who last worked with DiPronio before his breakout 2016-17 season.

"He always seems to know how to get the best out of me.

“I think it’s just resetting — more of a mental thing, going back to my roots and what got me here. I’ll be coming into camp more prepared than I ever have."
I think he has the right attitude. It sounds like he knows that after the past couple of years, asking for a clear path to a starter's role is too much. Originally it was reported that he turned Philly down because he said he wanted to be the #1.

I am rooting for the guy. My expectations are low though. I'll just be happy if he doesn't Smith the bed.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #129
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just glad I no longer have to watch Smith make a routine save look overly dramatic
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #130
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I'm just glad I no longer have to watch Smith make a routine save look overly dramatic

Oh, we’ll still get to see it plenty when he’s giving up his routine truck-sized five hole softies and glaring down his “defensemen” in an Oilers rag.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #131
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Oh, we’ll still get to see it plenty when he’s giving up his routine truck-sized five hole softies and glaring down his “defensemen” in an Oilers rag.
I am looking forward to seeing THAT! lol
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #132
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really think that Mike Smith would've made an awesome pro wrestler if the goalie thing didn't work out
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #133
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I just don’t understand why this bothers people so much. I am only concerned that the goalie stops the puck. He could breakdance in the crease for all I care so long as the puck doesn’t go in the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #134
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I just don’t understand why this bothers people so much. I am only concerned that the goalie stops the puck. He could breakdance in the crease for all I care so long as the puck doesn’t go in the net.

Minimizing unnecessary movement is critical to effective goaltending. The problem with Smith is that he either moves himself too much as to be out of the next play or that he spends too much time on the motion, again leaving him behind the next move. Comparing Smith to a goalie that is focused on economy is night and day.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not that I disagree completely but you also described Loubardias to a tee yet he seems to escape the same criticism as I can't find anything Wills has done remotely close to Loubardias meltdown regarding Russell. I personally think the dissenting opinions thing is something manufactured to an extent by Kelly Kirch as he seems to think that's an element of good talk radio and he may be right.
Quote:

Treliving mentioned a few times how Talbot is “quiet” in the net which I kind of took as a contrast with Smith’s style. It is kind of a piss off to see the goalie inexplicably flop around but the Hiller shooter tutor style was pretty tough to watch as well.

Maybe we can get that walrus for cheap.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #136
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kiprusoffitis....Unless a goalie is completely calm, almost emotionless, even while saving the 6th shot during a goal mouth scramble, that goalie is difficult to watch. I suffer from this.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #137
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Treliving mentioned a few times how Talbot is “quiet” in the net which I kind of took as a contrast with Smith’s style. It is kind of a piss off to see the goalie inexplicably flop around but the Hiller shooter tutor style was pretty tough to watch as well.

Maybe we can get that walrus for cheap.
There have been multiple frustrating styles of goaltending over the past few years. Doesn't seem to matter which goalie it is, but Rittich looks like an exception so far.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #138
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Kiprusoffitis....Unless a goalie is completely calm, almost emotionless, even while saving the 6th shot during a goal mouth scramble, that goalie is difficult to watch. I suffer from this.
Well no, we'd all love him if he was Hasek making those crazy saves. The problem is, Smith over commits on a routine save, takes himself out of the play, and then he's swimming while the puck just gets put in the net. And I'm not talking about crazy hard angles here. We're talking about a routine save where he looks like he's handling a grenade.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #139
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think he has the right attitude. It sounds like he knows that after the past couple of years, asking for a clear path to a starter's role is too much. Originally it was reported that he turned Philly down because he said he wanted to be the #1.

I am rooting for the guy. My expectations are low though. I'll just be happy if he doesn't Smith the bed.
Whoa!
Shots fired.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #140
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
Minimizing unnecessary movement is critical to effective goaltending. The problem with Smith is that he either moves himself too much as to be out of the next play or that he spends too much time on the motion, again leaving him behind the next move. Comparing Smith to a goalie that is focused on economy is night and day.
Quite frankly, you don't know the half of what Mike Smith's problem is. He has been goalieing his entire life, and has played the last decade at the highest level, and experienced a good deal of success in that time. Mike Smith plays the way he has always played because that is how he has managed to stay in the NHL until the ripe-old age of 37.

In the end, it's a difference in style and technique because not every goalie is going to feel comfortable playing the position the same way. I think when people complain about Smith overselling "routine saves" it's a confirmation bias. He had a bad year last season, and for those who were frustrated by his performance it was no longer enough to pick at his mistakes and complain; they started picking at the saves he made as a way of engraining that frustration even more deeply—it's an easy path to self satisfaction and certainty. It helps to create a simple narrative, but like all simple stories it was more often than not far from the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-03-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: