Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #641
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Sounds like your last paragraph there has a pretty heavy spoiler? That character isn’t marketed in the promo material at all.
Was writing on my phone, and clicked post without proofing. My bad, and editted.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #642
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...ox-office/amp/

$1 Billion may actually happen for Aquaman, depends on how it does in North America.
Some predictions have Aquaman at $800+ just foreign. I think it'll do at least Wonder Woman numbers domestically. Word of mother is good and no real competition. Mortal Engines looks like a flop.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #643
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most people would be blown away if Aquaman did “at least” Wonder Woman numbers (you say that like it was only mildly successful and not a huge hit).

But then this time last year nobody expected Jumanji to make $400 million, so who knows. I wouldn’t say it has no competition though — there’s a well revised comic book movie that just came out and another family-friendly action sci-fi franchise movie coming out this week too (Bumblebee).
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #644
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think most people would be blown away if Aquaman did “at least” Wonder Woman numbers (you say that like it was only mildly successful and not a huge hit).

But then this time last year nobody expected Jumanji to make $400 million, so who knows. I wouldn’t say it has no competition though — there’s a well revised comic book movie that just came out and another family-friendly action sci-fi franchise movie coming out this week too (Bumblebee).
Spiderman is a well reviewed but only made 35 million. It won't be competition for Aquaman. Bumblebee is also a scaled back version of a transformers film.

Aquaman with it's strong international showing would have to be a total flop domestically to not beat Wonder woman's 820 million.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #645
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking it breaks down to: $350 in North America, $275 in China and $400 everywhere else for a total of just over a billion. Either way this movie is already a huge hit and a win for DC and their connected universe. I hope Shazam keeps the momentum going so WB keeps going forward with Flash, Man of Steel 2, Batman and Green Lantern.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #646
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Have they announced anywhere when tickets go on sale for Captain Marvel and/or Avengers 4? We aren't that far out from the former.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #647
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking it breaks down to: $350 in North America, $275 in China and $400 everywhere else for a total of just over a billion. Either way this movie is already a huge hit and a win for DC and their connected universe. I hope Shazam keeps the momentum going so WB keeps going forward with Flash, Man of Steel 2, Batman and Green Lantern.
I hope Aquaman is good but I will take the under on $350 at the NA box office. That is more than Spiderman and Thor from last year.

$240 is my guess, a little more than Justice League which wouldn't be bad for an Aquaman movie IMO.

Maybe the China box office is indicative of higher demand for this movie here in NA but I'm not so sure.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #648
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hope Aquaman is good but I will take the under on $350 at the NA box office. That is more than Spiderman and Thor from last year.

$240 is my guess, a little more than Justice League which wouldn't be bad for an Aquaman movie IMO.

Maybe the China box office is indicative of higher demand for this movie here in NA but I'm not so sure.
If this movie wasn't released near Christmas time I would have probably said $240 as well. But I look at Jumanji 2 last year and it opened to only $36 and made over $400 while Star Wars was in theatres.

Mary Poppins has received good not great reviews (same as Aquaman to be fair) and not huge buzz while Bumblebee has gotten great reviews but not much buzz either.

Last year combined SW + Jumanji made over $1 Billion domestically so something like $700 Mill split between both Aquaman + Mary Poppins plus $200 for Bumblebee is possible IMO. I think it was smart of WB to release in China first to build up the buzz, most people reviewing it say it has to be seen on IMAX so I think that will help as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #649
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Aquaman's already at 190 million in China in 10 days, and the weekend over weekend drop off was good, indicating it has good legs there.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #650
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently it broke the 10 day box office record Civil War set in China. Interesting. Is Wan a sought after Chinese director or something?

Or are they complimented by the fact it released there first?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #651
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1073213066421121027

Last edited by KTrain; 12-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #652
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Apparently it broke the 10 day box office record Civil War set in China. Interesting. Is Wan a sought after Chinese director or something?

Or are they complimented by the fact it released there first?
The Chinese are all over the place. The mermaid made over $500million there and it was the biggest piece of crap asian movie i have ever seen.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #653
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The Chinese are all over the place. The mermaid made over $500million there and it was the biggest piece of crap asian movie i have ever seen.
Again, I find 'Gross Revenue' to be a flawed measure of the quality of a movie.

Isnt Avatar still the Highest Grossing film of all time? And that movie sucked balls out loud.

It was literally the definition that people are easily distracted by shiny objects and neat visuals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #654
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Again, I find 'Gross Revenue' to be a flawed measure of the quality of a movie.

Isnt Avatar still the Highest Grossing film of all time? And that movie sucked balls out loud.

It was literally the definition that people are easily distracted by shiny objects and neat visuals.

Avatar wasn't a movie, it was an event. Ushered in the new era of 3D movies and is still really the only movie to fully take advantage of it
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #655
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, gross revenue is a terrible measure of how good a movie is. But it's pretty much the only thing studios look at for sequels and for building connected universes so the success of Aquaman means we will continue to get DC films for many more years. If this movie was like Green Lantern box office wise we could all have kissed the DCEU good bye.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #656
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Avatar was fine. It was a spectacle and really did do amazing things with motion capture and 3D effects. I have no idea how they're going to sell 3 more of them though.

You must not have seen Captain EO at Disney in the 90s. The 3D effects in that were amazing. At least for my pre-teen mind they were.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #657
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Avatar wasn't a movie, it was an event. Ushered in the new era of 3D movies and is still really the only movie to fully take advantage of it
It still sucked.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #658
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It still sucked.
Just wait for the 3 sequels! Starting December 2020 apparently.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #659
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, gross revenue is a terrible measure of how good a movie is. But it's pretty much the only thing studios look at for sequels and for building connected universes so the success of Aquaman means we will continue to get DC films for many more years. If this movie was like Green Lantern box office wise we could all have kissed the DCEU good bye.
LEAVE GREEN LANTERN ALONE!!!!

Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #660
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
LEAVE GREEN LANTERN ALONE!!!!

Spoiler!
Hahaha I'm a big Hal Jordan fan, don't know much about the other Lanterns to be honest, are you reading the new Grant Morrison run, the art alone is amazing.

I think Green Lantern could be a total amazing epic film franchise if done right with the right talent in place. I don't think Ryan Reynolds was a bad Hal Jordan but that film just didn't do it for me. I would cast John Krasinski to play Hal Jordan and James Gunn to direct. The first film would be a buddy cop film with Hal and Sinestro and then the sequel you have start to see Sinestro turn into a yellow lantern and the third film would be an all out war and would be based off the Sinestro Corps War book by Geoff Johns.

The only way we will ever get another Green Lantern movie is if DC starts doing better, it will force WB into expanding their movie line up, that's why I've been so invested in Aquaman. If it succeeds it will show WB that more than Batman and Superman can be successful films, and maybe we will finally get a proper Green Lantern film.