Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #461
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I actually believe that u-turns are never legal unless there is a sign specifically indicating that a u-turn is allowed. My buddy received a u-turn ticket a couple years ago a few blocks from his house because he made a u-turn at a light when there was no traffic when he realized he forgot something at home.
The traffic light made it illegal. In any other intersection, unless a sign prohibits it, it's legal.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/ddca...de-2019-03.pdf

Quote:

Do not do a U-turn unless you can do it safely. U-turns are not permitted:

• at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal (traffic lights) unless permitted by a traffic control device
• where a sign prohibits U-turns

In urban areas U-turns are not permitted:

• on a roadway between intersections
• at an alley intersection
• at an intersection where one or more of the roadways is an access to a public or private parking lot which the public can access

Outside urban areas (rural) U-turns are not permitted:

• on a curve
• approach to or near the crest of a hill where the driver of another vehicle cannot see you that is approaching within 150 metres from either direction
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #462
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I actually believe that u-turns are never legal unless there is a sign specifically indicating that a u-turn is allowed. My buddy received a u-turn ticket a couple years ago a few blocks from his house because he made a u-turn at a light when there was no traffic when he realized he forgot something at home.
Oddly enough, in Alberta, U-Turns are allowed at intersections without lights but not at intersections with lights.

From the Traffic Safety Act: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...=9780779756209
Quote:
Division 7
U-Turns

Interpretation

The turns referred to in this Division include what are commonly known as “U-turns”.

Must be done in safety

(1) A person driving a vehicle shall not turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction unless that movement can be made in safety and without interfering with other traffic.
(2) A person driving a vehicle shall not,
(a) on a curve, or
(b) on the approach to or near the crest of a grade, turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction if the vehicle cannot be seen by a person driving another vehicle that is approaching within 150 metres from either direction.

Restrictions on making U-turn

A person driving a vehicle shall not, at the following locations, turn the vehicle so as to travel in the opposite direction:
(a) in the case of an urban area,
(i) on a roadway between intersections,
(ii) at an alley intersection, or
(iii) at an intersection where one or more of the highways is an access to a public or private facility to which the public normally has access;
(b) in the case of an urban area or a non-urban area,
(i) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn, or
(ii) at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal unless specifically permitted by a traffic control device.

If the guy drove across the median, he'd also be in violation of this (from the same Act):
Quote:
(2) If a highway is divided into 2 or more roadways by a boulevard, ditch or other physical barrier, a person driving a vehicle shall not drive the vehicle
(a) into, across or on the boulevard, ditch or physical barrier,
or
(b) on that portion of the highway that is to the left of the yellow line except in an emergency situation where the vehicle is disabled and it is not practicable to move the vehicle to the far right side of the highway.

I believe he could also receive a ticket for Stunting.
Quote:
Anyone who drives a vehicle so as to perform or engage in any stunt or other activity on a highway that is likely to distract, startle or interfere with other users of the highway is guilty of Stunting.
If I was driving the opposite direction and saw a vehicle on the other side coming across the median, I would definitely be startled or distracted.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #463
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got my car back from the shop, "de-winterized".

I always love the feeling of going from winter tires to the summer performance wheels/rims. The car just feels so much more responsive.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #464
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having good parents. Both my Mom and Dad are such thoughtful and generous people. It's something that you really take for granted when you are younger, but as I am reflecting on them, and watching them get older it really is remarkable how fortunate I have been to learn from such hard working and loving people.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #465
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone with a lifelong brutal sleep disorder (which gets worse every year), last night was the first time in years I slept through the entire night without waking up once..couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock and saw 7:09am on it!

I'm sooo full of energy and in a great mood today from it, practically bouncing off the walls with energy (the nice weather today helps too). Such a great feeling, amazing what a difference a great sleep makes to your mood. Which I could feel this way more often lol
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #466
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
As someone with a lifelong brutal sleep disorder (which gets worse every year), last night was the first time in years I slept through the entire night without waking up once..couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock and saw 7:09am on it!

I'm sooo full of energy and in a great mood today from it, practically bouncing off the walls with energy (the nice weather today helps too). Such a great feeling, amazing what a difference a great sleep makes to your mood. Which I could feel this way more often lol
What did you do to get the good sleep? CBD? Melatonin?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #467
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well CBD just about every night haha...but honestly I wish i knew..possibly just the exact right temperature in my room where I don't wake up all sweaty..I need to pinpoint this!!

Sadly melatonin doesn't work for me anymore..my aunt in Houston used to bring it for me when she visited back in the late 90s when I was a teenager, years before it was ever available in Canada (the sleep disorder is an entire family thing)..it actually gives me worse insomnia now after years of taking it probably too much.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #468
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Just got my car back from the shop, "de-winterized".

I always love the feeling of going from winter tires to the summer performance wheels/rims. The car just feels so much more responsive.
I’m about to get my brand new summers put on in a day or two and I can’t wait. I’m sure some of it is a placebo but I always feel like my car handles way better with summers on.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #469
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Having good parents. Both my Mom and Dad are such thoughtful and generous people. It's something that you really take for granted when you are younger, but as I am reflecting on them, and watching them get older it really is remarkable how fortunate I have been to learn from such hard working and loving people.
Lucky man. Anyone in general that feels they have had good parents should go out of their way at times to let them know as I can attest having bad parents really sucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #470
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m about to get my brand new summers put on in a day or two and I can’t wait. I’m sure some of it is a placebo but I always feel like my car handles way better with summers on.
My truck 100% does too, even if it's just because the winters seem harder and ride rougher. Going back to the summer tires felt great, and that's not even highway tires. I'd imagine the difference would be just as noticeable going from my All Terrains to a road tire again.

Tires are definitely the most important part of how a car feels in my view
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #471
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My truck 100% does too, even if it's just because the winters seem harder and ride rougher. Going back to the summer tires felt great, and that's not even highway tires. I'd imagine the difference would be just as noticeable going from my All Terrains to a road tire again.

Tires are definitely the most important part of how a car feels in my view
I'm with you on that. I just went back to my summer performance tires. The whole vehicle feels lighter and more responsive. I love my winters, and they always feel 'super grabby'.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #472
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't make me happy that my inlaws are evacuated but it does make me happy that we are available for them to come to. They have a place to stay up there, with friends, but with no time frame of the end of the evac in sight, they were feeling a bit closed in - there are 3 families staying in one house.

So, they'll get here on Sunday, be here until Wednesday, then they're making a quick trip out to Saskabush to a major birthday celebration for one of my father-in-law's relatives, over the weekend. After that, we will see what's going on with the evac but most likely they'll come back to us for a bit if it's still ongoing. I think we may see if we can all spend time out at our campsite/campground, where there's far more ample space & where they can have an actual cabin to themselves, with facilities & cooking space, etc.

Also happy that the fire doesn't seem to be advancing on the town any further. This is relieving news for us, I can't even imagine how the townspeople must be feeling, knowing their homes/livelihoods are still intact. Keeping it all crossed that the fire moves off into the uninhabited forested/muskeggy bits.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #473
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

What makes me so incredibly happy, was running across some audio today, uploaded to YouTube, of my grandfather, telling stories/memories. It was recorded about 3 years before he died. He was 94 at the time of the recording.

He was born in 1890, so he'd seen a lot by the time he died. He lived in Ontario until he was in his very early 20s, then came out to Alberta, and traveled up to Northern Alberta, in the Dunvegan/Peace River area, working and living in a few villages/towns in that area. He fought in WW1 & I recall a few stories he told us about that time. He didn't marry until he was 39 and then had 8 kids, haha. This part of his stories/memories I hadn't heard before, so this is such a treasure.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #474
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool won the Champions' League!!!!!!!!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #475
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that a big deal?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #476
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Oh man, I got so lucky on my way into work. I just merged onto Deerfoot off Bow Bottom and I'm heading south. Deerfoot is doing 100 on the dot and the left lane is wide open. Should have been my first clue. There's a white GMC truck in front of me. It did cross my mind that it looked rather ghost carish, but I dismissed it instantly thinking police only drove F-150s. Don't know why I thought that. So I pull into the left lane and stomp on it. And I'm in my fast car. As soon as I was beside him I was doing over the speed limit and I was on my way up. Way up. He turned on his lights (no siren) and I stomped on my brakes back down to 100. He just gave me a dirty look, I pulled in behind him and stayed on my best behaviour all the way in.

It did have me questioning why I need 500 hp. You can go from legal to lost license in my car in about 1.5 seconds. Today was a good reminder there is a lot of risk in this thing.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #477
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man, I got so lucky on my way into work. I just merged onto Deerfoot off Bow Bottom and I'm heading south. Deerfoot is doing 100 on the dot and the left lane is wide open. Should have been my first clue. There's a white GMC truck in front of me. It did cross my mind that it looked rather ghost carish, but I dismissed it instantly thinking police only drove F-150s. Don't know why I thought that. So I pull into the left lane and stomp on it. And I'm in my fast car. As soon as I was beside him I was doing over the speed limit and I was on my way up. Way up. He turned on his lights (no siren) and I stomped on my brakes back down to 100. He just gave me a dirty look, I pulled in behind him and stayed on my best behaviour all the way in.

It did have me questioning why I need 500 hp. You can go from legal to lost license in my car in about 1.5 seconds. Today was a good reminder there is a lot of risk in this thing.
Thanks for the intel. I've seen cops in Suburbans, but never GMC pickups. Prior to reading this, I was of the same assumption that police trucks are always F-150s.

At least we can still assume they're always domestic. That's the trippy thing about Europe. Cops in BMWs, Alfa Romeos, Benzes, and the newbs in Fiats and Peugeots.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #478
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Thanks for the intel. I've seen cops in Suburbans, but never GMC pickups. Prior to reading this, I was of the same assumption that police trucks are always F-150s.

At least we can still assume they're always domestic. That's the trippy thing about Europe. Cops in BMWs, Alfa Romeos, Benzes, and the newbs in Fiats and Peugeots.
I don't think cops use ghost cars in Europe though.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #479
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

They have all sorts of weird stuff, but most aren't used for traffic enforcement. They did at one point have two unmarked Ram's a few years ago for traffic, silver one and a blue one. Couple Jettas and Caravans, Toyota Camry's, Nissan SUV's (Murano or Rogue, can't remember) but think those of mostly undercover and gang unit stuff, which would explain why he didn't actually pull Sliver over
Even looking at their website they say their fleet "includes almost every make and model available"

Last edited by btimbit; 06-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #480
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Even looking at their website they say their fleet "includes almost every make and model available"
If they say so, but what I see are Ford Escapes and Dodge Caravans for multanovas, F-150s, paddy wagons, some Grand Marquis/Crown Vic (old badging) and a bunch of new Malibus or whatever those are with the bull bar and the black and white badging. Then there's the odd Charger or Suburban. And once I saw a Durango.

Jettas? Really? I had a Jetta once and I swear the Golf I have now feels bigger. Good luck arresting a big guy with your Jetta. Shove him in head first and let him rest his feet on the trunk ledge?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote