Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best general manager from the following list
Doug Risebrough 8 6.67%
Craig Button 26 21.67%
Jay Feaster 86 71.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
He’s the one that put himself in that position. He left himself with zero options and no control. Then went on a “The Player” PR campaign to try and place blame on Iginla and save his butt

He was played, will respect T99, you would have handled the situation a 1000 times better
I dunno...i think that was a whole lot more ownership than Feastership.

But no question, personally, i would have made a deal long long before they did which would have had a much larger buying group.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #22
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Risebrough was behind the 8 ball in the MacInnis trade, same with the Suter deal. Coates would arrive soon enough to complete the disassembling of the 89 Cup Team members.

Button comes in and the Flames finally start winning trades again after so many years of not being able to afford our stars. (Leopold, Conroy/Moss, Niedermayer, Turek, McAmmond, McLennan, Drury/Yelle, Ference, Donovan, Commodore)

Feaster was nothing but a Fall Guy that was brought in to sell the face of the franchise and failed miserably.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #23
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, I just looked at the poll results,

Feaster with 71%! for what?

Only 15 votes for Button, he assembled a good portion of what was to become the 2004 Flames!

Is this Bizarro World?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #24
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

Only 15 votes for Button, he assembled a good portion of what was to become the 2004 Flames!

Is this Bizarro World?

It has been since round 2
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I dunno...i think that was a whole lot more ownership than Feastership.

But no question, personally, i would have made a deal long long before they did which would have had a much larger buying group.
A larger buying group doesn't matter if the player has a full NMC and will only agree to waive it for one team.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #26
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster is the best of a very bad bunch. His attempt to win now was a complete gong show but at least he found Gaudreau and left the team with cap space. His failure to find any defensive prospects, right handed shots, or a goalie really hurt the rebuild and Treliving has been playing catch-up ever since.

Still better than Button though whose only redeeming quality was that his bad moves only went so far and he still left a few useful assets on the team for Sutter to build around.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #27
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Feaster is the best of a very bad bunch. His attempt to win now was a complete gong show but at least he found Gaudreau and left the team with cap space. His failure to find any defensive prospects, right handed shots, or a goalie really hurt the rebuild and Treliving has been playing catch-up ever since.

Still better than Button though whose only redeeming quality was that his bad moves only went so far and he still left a few useful assets on the team for Sutter to build around.
I thought he was forced into the "win now" approach by ownership.
Despite what the Flames say, I doubt Feaster was allowed to just start a rebuild without the permission of his superiors.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

Is this Bizarro World?
He gave away a SC calibre goalie, a future HOF forward, and the C that would have given Iggy the centre to win a SC in Savard. Conroy is a nice guy and played well but Stillman was the better player. The AVS deal was a disaster as he traded for a forward that had made it clear he didn't want to play for a Canadian team although Sandbox was a beaut. At least when Riser made the Gilmour deal nobody really expected Leeman to fall off the map that badly. There is a reason he got other opportunities in hockey while Button plays shill for TSN.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #29
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames Martin St-Louis: The rejection of a legend:

Craig Button talking about the mistake of letting Marty walk in Calgary
Quote:
"It was chaos, total brothel, does not hesitate to say. They already had a good idea of ​​the players they wanted to protect for the draft, but the development of their list had been problematic and some records had been badly managed. The case of Martin was a good example, since the option attached to his contract had already been exercised when no one intended to keep it. "

Button says "nobody," but quickly changes. Tom Watt, he recalls, argued vigorously that the Flames, even if they were counting on several small forwarders, give another chance to their 5-foot-8-inch youth. A former Jack Adams trophy winner with the Winnipeg Jets in the early 1980s, Watt was responsible for developing the hopes of the Alberta team.

"I think it's important to mention it. His voice is the only one that has risen up in Martin's favor. No one else in the organization, whether it was the people who had put him under contract, those who had led him, or those who had just been with him, thought he was of NHL caliber. "

Button regrets that he was silent that day. Raised in Montreal from the age of 12 and a graduate of Concordia University, he had returned to Quebec several times to follow the evolution of Martin St-Louis as he began a career as a scout in the " Organization of the North Stars. By his own admission, he knew exactly what kind of player he was making a cross when he decided to place St-Louis on the market.

"It's easy for me to criticize left and right, but the truth is I probably should have foreseen what happened next. Nobody had a bigger file than me on Martin St-Louis, he reveals. I had been following him since he was 15 years old. I saw him dominate in the Midget in Laval, dominate at the university level in Vermont and I had continued to observe him in the minor ranks. I have no excuse. If someone was well placed to make the right decision, it was me. "

If he is able to admit his wrongs, Button refuses to assume those of others. It is true that he would have been advised to use his right of veto to give a little more time to this time bomb to explode. But no one around him was suspicious of the detonation. Absolutely nothing, he insisted, foreshadowed the imminence of an outbreak.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TampaBayLig...m_content=PSR2
Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least with St. Louis every other team in the league except Tampa passed on him. I give more credit to the Bolts for taking chance than I give the Flames for making a mistake.

The Savard and Giguere trades though are still unforgivable to this day.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #31
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
June 15th, 2000

The Calgary Flames have answered a few questions in regards to which of their second-ranked prospect group will be getting a good shot to make the team with the release of their expansion draft protected list on Tuesday. However they may have raised more questions at the same time.
As little as five days ago the general assumption was that the Flames would protect two goaltenders, Fred Brathwaite and Jean-Sebastien Giguere. The surprise trade of Giguere to Anaheim was the first in new GM Craig Button’s administration and has many people scratching their heads. Very few people are outraged at the move but it has left many wondering what the team is up to.
Quote:
The final question provoked by the protected list and one that can be interpreted as most relevant for the forward prospects is the exposure of Sergei Krivokrasov and Martin St Louis. St Louis is not a big surprise. Many would love to see the hard-working speedster succeed it is not clear if his AHL scoring talents will ever translate to big league scoring.
https://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...ist_in_flames/

Last edited by David Struch; 07-12-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:49 AM   #32
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked St Louis when he was with the Flames. It was probably influenced by the fact I was still young and had been such a big fan of Fleury, but I thought St Louis was awesome. I used to wait for his odd shifts out on the ice. It really pissed me off when they let him go. It's less that I thought he would be a hall of famer talent and more that he was a favorite player of mine who I thought was going to be awesome, but I find it very hard to forgive Button for that.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 01:52 AM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I really liked St Louis when he was with the Flames. It was probably influenced by the fact I was still young and had been such a big fan of Fleury, but I thought St Louis was awesome. I used to wait for his odd shifts out on the ice. It really pissed me off when they let him go. It's less that I thought he would be a hall of famer talent and more that he was a favorite player of mine who I thought was going to be awesome, but I find it very hard to forgive Button for that.
I recall that he seemed to be increasingly active in the community facing engagements as well, before being cut loose. I was pulling for him to take the next step ... here
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I ####ed up and thought we were voting for the worst GM so clicked Doug Risebrough by accident
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote