Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #1941
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of the Kaepernick workout from the NFL perspective? I don’t know why they’re doing this. Seems like a big PR stunt
That's exactly what it is. NFL just wants to be able to say "See? We tried. We totally didn't blackball him."

10 years from now this whole ordeal will be such a massive stain on the NFL's history.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #1942
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of the Kaepernick workout from the NFL perspective? I don’t know why they’re doing this. Seems like a big PR stunt

It is, we'll hear a lot of, after a long time away from the game, we just don't have room for what he brings and what he wants to get paid, to he was terrible, he's not an NFL QB anymore. That might even be the case as well.

I doubt he finds any takers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #1943
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah...im not sure who he makes better that isnt already developing a young guy of their own.

I mean he is a 32 year old who has a career completion % under 60, has a losing record as a starter, and has turned the ball over 58 times in 58 starts, and hasnt played a snap in 3 years.

Doesn't exactly scream to be a guy that needs to be signed by many, if any, teams.

I suppose he may make a decent back up for teams who go with a lot of RPO stuff, but say Baltimore already has RG III there...Houston maybe is a place, Tampa....Indy?

Just not many logical landing spots for him as much as anything else IMO, though its indisputable he would be better than a bunch of the guys already holding clip boards.

Last edited by transplant99; 11-16-2019 at 10:44 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #1944
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Football wise, he fell off the cart when the 49ers forced out Harbaugh. Lots of players did, and the Tomsula disaster sewered that team won 3 games over his last 2 seasons.

My being “vocal” about his causes (kneeling, wearing socks depicting cops as pigs, etc) cause enough of a stir to create enough of a non football distraction around him. NFL teams don’t like self inflicted distraction, let alone non football, most teams create enough on their own. Teams that did sniff around him and bring him in over the past couple years, like Seattle, realized he was going to stubbornly stand on social justice hill he built and had support for, and the team weren’t going to be able to have him relent enough from his stance to be a football player first.

Imo, this thing today is some NFL teams legit wanting to know where he is at football wise, skill wise first, to see if it’s worth having the same discussion talking him down from his hill far enough to take all the distraction on.

However, because those handful of NFL teams don’t want the circus that would come with an individual workout, they’ve asked the league to set it up this way, as/and that benefits the league as well.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #1945
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
10 years from now this whole ordeal will be such a massive stain on the NFL's history.
Nah. In 10 years he will be largely forgotten and only brought up by those with an axe to grind against the league. The reality is that he was a thoroughly mediocre quarterback that like Tim Tebow wasn't good enough to warrant the sideshow distraction that came with having him on the roster.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #1946
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he didn't show. Made some last minute demands in the past few days such as having a Nike crew to shoot a commercial of all things (shows where his priorities lay) , and bring his own recievers. NFL agreed to all the changes, in addition to having hue Jackson and Joe Philbin there to run it. All video would get distributed to all teams.etc etc.

Then last minute today Kaepernick makes even more demands and wants to change the venue and makes up some flimsy legal concern. Unreal.

Last edited by browna; 11-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #1947
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
So he didn't show. Made some last minute demands in the past few days such as having a Nike crew to shoot a commercial of all things (shows where his priorities lay) , and bring his own recievers. NFL agreed to all the changes, in addition to having hue Jackson and Joe Philbin there to run it. All video would get distributed to all teams.etc etc.

Then last minute today Kaepernick makes even more demands and wants to change the venue and makes up some flimsy legal concern. Unreal.
guy really sounds committed to football. why would any team sign this clown
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #1948
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

And he did have a workout today an hour away from where the NFL bent over backwards to set up, opting for a high school.

And predictablly went on to bash the NFL and 32 owners ironically for "running".
Old 11-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #1949
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I have my doubts after seeing his statement at the end and basically running the NFL on a string that he is all that serious about playing. His comments accusing the NFL and teams of running from his isn't going to get him a deal, its going to make these teams wonder if they want him in their locker room.

This feels like it was all about him staying relevant in the news. I get that. But 25 teams sent scouts out to check him out, and when he flipped the location around and demanded his own film crew and receivers, only 7 teams bothered to make the trip to the new venue.

Detroit probably doesn't need him unless he's willing to take backup dollars, which somehow I doubt (That's a big question for me)

Chiefs - Maybe they look at him as a backup on a short term contract, but they have Mahomes

Jets maybe but they already have a young franchise type QB

Eagles - Again they're firmly with Wentz If CK is willing to take like a minimum backup contract its a no

Shockingly the 49'ers scout made the trip. But I think it was more about curiosity and public relations then anything else.

The Titans. I think that both of their signal callers are free agents, so this is a maybe. But why would you pick up a 32 year old rusty QB for next year instead of drafting or signing someone probably better.

Redskins - Haskins is probably their future and they still have Smith and 2 other QB's under contract.

I don't think that CK's rant at the end of this and moving things around helped him. But then again this didn't make me think he was as serious about playing as he was about staying in the headlines.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #1950
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve always been blown away by the respect he gets. He never even kneeled until the game he lost his starter job. I think he gets a lot of credit for being a guy who has the right message but I don’t think he’s a great example of a role model at all. A man who grew up in a priveledged environment who didn’t bother to start this message til he knew he was already on the way out the door. Look at guys who kneeled and are way more flagrant with their F-U attitude who managed to continue playing like Marshawn Lynch.

Kap wasn’t good enough and isn’t good enough to be in the league end of the day. Look at the amount of players with the terrible things they do who find a way back. If any NFL team ever thought he could help their team even win one game he would of been back long ago. Who wants to sign a back up quarterback at absolute best that is going to bring a huge distraction to their team. The teams and managements jobs is to win football games nothing else. Signing Kap doesn’t help any team do that other then be some feel good story for a guy who was on his way out anyways. He’s self centered and he took a real issue and a legitimate message and made it about himself to wind up in the end with likely more profit then he was going to wind up with in his career when he lost the starters role.

Last edited by Patek23; 11-16-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #1951
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Kaepernick doesnt show and instead ends up at a high school football field an hour away. Good riddance. I still dont see what the hype is all about given his somewhat mediocre stats and issues off the field.

It seems like both sides want to say 'told you so' and go their separate ways. I dont see him signing with any team. I dont think he was truly that interested in getting a deal, and I dont think the NFL was that serious about giving him a shot. So basically a big waste of time PR stunt

If he was truly that talented he'd already be signed
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #1952
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gal-checkmate/

Quote:
That’s the inescapable conclusion from the assertion, as made by Kaepernick’s lawyer and Kaepernick’s agent, that the NFL demanded that he sign a broad waiver, including a waiver of potential employment claims.

Let that one sink in. The league, under the guise of acting out of the goodness of its own heart and/or to assuage the guilt of 32 months of Kaepernick being wrongfully denied an opportunity, set up a workout for all teams (even though any team could work him out at any time) and then, as he showed up for it, asked him to sign a waiver that not only protected the league and the Falcons against a torn ACL or some other injury that could have happened during the workout but also exonerated the league of any and all responsibility for the violations of his rights that may have (have) occurred since he grievance was settled in February.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #1953
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or as the NFL states, the same waiver that any player on a try out signs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ernick-workout

Quote:
On Wednesday, we sent Colin's representatives a standard liability waiver based on the waiver used by National Invitational Camp at all NFL Combines and by NFL clubs when trying out free agent players. At noon today, Colin's representatives sent a completely rewritten and insufficient waiver.
This sounds more like CK wanting this to be his days in front of the camera. There's no way anyone is going to sign him, even with this try out, he disrupted it, and wanted to set the conditions,

His representatives by coming out after the fact are doing a disservice to their client.

And we have to notice that even with the waiver troubles the NFL scouts still attended.

The NFL and the CFL make players sign waivers for try outs so they aren't financially responsible for a player not under contract, who hurts himself during a tryout.

A player on a try out is receiving an opportunity for a contract, he's not property of any team or the league. If suddenly teams were liable for a QB that throws his arm out, or a lets say lineman that's out of shape that hurts himself during a try out, there would be no tryouts.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #1954
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kenan Thompson played Garrett on SNL, and swung a Steeler helmet at Guiliani.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #1955
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

When Michael Vick was trying to get back in the league he had a very respected guy in Tony Dungee trying to get him another opportunity. I can't believe for a second that Dungee would ever refuse to help out a player that he felt genuinely still wanted to still play football.

Instead he wrangles up Hugh Jackson who also bailed when he changed the venue at the last minute.

If a team is going to hire Greg Roman or someone who can work the RPO offence at the NFL level. They likely want a younger guy who wants to prove he should have been drafted higher.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #1956
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ridiculous call for no defensive pass interference in the Ravens/Texans game.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #1957
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that decision in the Texans game was absolutely ridiculous. They never overturn PI, it's a goddamn joke ... that stupid playoff game has made everything even worse.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #1958
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if that blatant PI on DeAndre Hopkins won't even get overturned, it's fair to wonder if that PI against the Rams in last years NFCCG would have been overturned either. Even by NFL standards this whole thing has been farcical.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #1959
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yeah the play that brought in the rule would not have been overturned.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #1960
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brandon Allen throwing bombs, and Broncos receivers making strong grabs.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote