Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pet Appreciation Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT14 View Post
That looks like an awesome cat! Reminds me of my late guy Flurry, may he rest in peace. Best cat I've ever had.

Here's our new little one. Just named her Ember in light of her colour and sure to be a Flames fan.
[IMG][/IMG]

No way, our cat is also named Ember!
Izzy on the left Ember on the right

Last edited by bigtmac19; 06-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You guys are making me want to get a pet. That's probably not something I should do on a whim, right?
So rather than doing it on a whim I thought about it for a bit, looked around, and now am waiting for this guy to be ready to be separated from his mom (probably 2 more weeks or so).

If anyone has any suggestions for the best cat stuff that was absolutely essential I'm all ears... need to figure out a good carrier.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #23
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So rather than doing it on a whim I thought about it for a bit, looked around, and now am waiting for this guy to be ready to be separated from his mom (probably 2 more weeks or so).

If anyone has any suggestions for the best cat stuff that was absolutely essential I'm all ears... need to figure out a good carrier.
So cute!

Don't skimp on the food. Do a little brand research.

Don't bother buying much in the way of toys, they won't play with them. Twist ties and pop bottle tops though...hours of entertainment.

Cats are jumpers. They can jump about 6 times their body length. With means that there really isn't anywhere in a room that they can't get. Keep that in mind.

Cats take roughly 1 year to reach full size from kitten.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I know nothing about kittens. However, my experience with puppies is that the longer they stay with their moms, the easier they are to train and the fewer behavioural issues there are. So, as hard as it is to wait, I would say give it the longest you can with its mom.

Congratulations on your new family member! :-)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a doll. Paper bags, boxes, scratching posts, they love the simple stuff.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #26
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

By golly that's cute!
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #27
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love this thread. Something to put a smile on my face!

Here is Martini, a Toy Fox Terrier. She is about 13 years old.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to InSutterWeTrust For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Barney (on the left) and his sister, Betty. Devoted to each other.

Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

My two, in all their glory.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
So cute!

Don't skimp on the food. Do a little brand research.
Yeah, he's supposed to be on hard food before I get him home, but I don't actually know what kind would be good to get.

That's mainly my thing - I know I need a litter box, but which one is good and reduces smell the most? I know I need a cat bed, but what ones are most durable? He's going to be pretty furry - what's the best grooming brush? I know I need a cat carrier, but which will be big enough for a reasonably sizeable cat (his dad is an absolute monster) and still airplane-friendly in case I'm going somewhere for a while and want to bring him?

It's that sort of thing. Figure there's probably some experience in this thread.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #31
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, he's supposed to be on hard food before I get him home, but I don't actually know what kind would be good to get.

That's mainly my thing - I know I need a litter box, but which one is good and reduces smell the most? I know I need a cat bed, but what ones are most durable? He's going to be pretty furry - what's the best grooming brush? I know I need a cat carrier, but which will be big enough for a reasonably sizeable cat (his dad is an absolute monster) and still airplane-friendly in case I'm going somewhere for a while and want to bring him?

It's that sort of thing. Figure there's probably some experience in this thread.

When I had cats we used fairly large covered litter boxes with non scented clumping litter. We had cat beds but they never used them but I don't think you can go wrong with what is offered at any pet store like Bosley's or Pet Smart. For scratch posts they purr-fur'd ones made with loose pile, non-berber styled carpet. The berber or rope ones we had were never used. Litter should be changed pretty often and clumping is nice because urine turns into clay balls that are easy to remove. For a carrier it's probably safe to size one based on the dad's size. No harm in going bigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #32
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:

Litter Box-Get one with a hood. Smell will more be based on the kind of litter you use.

Bed-Grab one you like, there's no guarantee the cat will actually like it and use it.

Brush-Standard wire pet brush you get from the pet store will be fine.

Cat Carrier-I'm not sure you need one unless you're planning to travel alot with the animal. If I recall, i thought to travel on a plane, you needed a soft carrier.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #33
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a cat carrier is a good idea though for vet visits. Or emergencies.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

For food, the humane society gave me a bag of free food and it made my cat puke a lot. Nothing wrong with it per se, it was decent stuff, but my cat needs grain free food. Pretty sure that's the main thing. Lots of food says grain free right on the bag. I also give her one scoop of wet food every morning. One $2-3 can lasts about 4-5 days. I use Blue Wilderness I think it is called. They have multiple varieties.

Cat carrier, pretty standard, bought one for $50 I think. The soft kind. On a plane it has to fit under the seat in front of you, cats don't travel under the plane I don't think, at least I wouldn't put my cat there. So a hard carrier wouldn't work. Totally a rip off though. It is $100 extra, you have to manually check in at the aiport and it uses up one of your bag allowances for a carry on. I will never do it again unless absolutely necessary.

Litter, I tried some of the flushable and environmentally friendly kinds but both me and my cat hated it. The shredded corn or whatever the hell that stuff was, I found it dusty and didn't cover smells at all. Being able to flush it wasn't worth the hassle of my black cat being covered in beige/brown dust all the time and my entire condo reeking like cat poo.

I eventually settled on old school clay stuff. It is super cheap, albeit a bit of a pain to dispose of because it can't be flushed. But I don't mind. Works great on smell, has very little dust and my cat seems to like it.

Beds, my cat has a cute fluffy igloo that she loves but it is hit and miss. I bought her a cool stand that was on clearance at PetSmart and she only sometimes uses it.

Scratch post, again, test it out. I buy a $15 stand with rope and carpet from WalMart that my cat just loves. But my sister's cat won't use anything similar. Not the cardboard kind, not carpet, not rope.

I use the regular $10 brush from petsmart but I have a few friends that swear by the $50 one called the Eliminator? Something like that. Forget the exact name. It is also sold at petsmart and is super expensive. They say for their long hair cats it works wonders. My short hair doesn't need it that much so I didn't slurge.

Toys, I don't use a laser pointer because my vet said it drives cat crazy because there is nothing tangible and it just pisses them off. I use twist ties, little fluffy mice, bouncy balls and these and she loves them.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-06-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Be aware that not all cats like a hood on their litter tray. Clumping litter is easiest. I use World's Best from PetValu. Make sure that the litter tray is put somewhere quiet. They also say that you should one litter tray per cat plus one. If your house is large enough then a second one (on a different level) would be good.

Never make grooming a game! A good quiet time thing to do. Get the kitten use to it right from the start. Also get used to handling the front paws. Squeezing the nail bed slightly so you will have easy to trim claws time in the future.

Chase-y toys are fun for them. The ones like a fishing rod. Don't use them for jumping at a young age. More for chasing along the floor.

And you need a good strong pet carrier. Again go to the pet store and they will be delighted to help.

As far as food goes you really should feed wet food. There is an increased risk in kidney problems for cats fed kibble. We also have a water fountain for our cats. They love it.

Good luck!
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Be aware that not all cats like a hood on their litter tray. Clumping litter is easiest. I use World's Best from PetValu. Make sure that the litter tray is put somewhere quiet. They also say that you should one litter tray per cat plus one. If your house is large enough then a second one (on a different level) would be good.

Never make grooming a game! A good quiet time thing to do. Get the kitten use to it right from the start. Also get used to handling the front paws. Squeezing the nail bed slightly so you will have easy to trim claws time in the future.

Chase-y toys are fun for them. The ones like a fishing rod. Don't use them for jumping at a young age. More for chasing along the floor.

And you need a good strong pet carrier. Again go to the pet store and they will be delighted to help.

As far as food goes you really should feed wet food. There is an increased risk in kidney problems for cats fed kibble. We also have a water fountain for our cats. They love it.

Good luck!
jesus, i wish i got my cat as a kitten. Her front claws make wolverine scared, they are so sharp. And although she's gotten better, she hates it when I hold her front paws for more than about 3 seconds. Basically it means she hasn't had her nails trimmed in 2 years.

it doesn't help that she grew up on the streets and gets very aggressive when held. I think she almost slashed my vet to death when she tried to take her temperature rectally the first visit. After about 20 minutes and a lot of near death swipes, we decided that her temperature was probably fine.

Speaking of misbehaving cats, I've read and personally found that positive reinforcement and time outs work best. Don't "fight" with your cat when he/she has done something wrong. They'll get worse if they think it is a game. When I first got Nera she was a bit crazy. Now if she bites or scratches me, she gets a 10 minute time out in the spare bedroom. She is way, way better now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #37
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Playing go fetch with my brothers dog

Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #38
nwflamesfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 9 yo Rupert

Last edited by nwflamesfan; 07-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.
nwflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nwflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #39
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got home from 5 days without my buddy, so this popped up at the perfect time. My guy is Boris and he's a Shepherd/Pitbull mix (or so say his adoption papers. Who knows?)

Boris doing his best dad impression.

Boris with his new puppy friend, Quinn.

Just turned 4. Here he is as a baby.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is Stella, she is a Husky mix. She is about 6 months old in this picture.

This is Stella all grown up. She is about 11 years old now.

Last edited by Deviaant; 07-06-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post: